Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! So Many Variables, Pricing, Etc, Which Is Better?

Hello

I am going to be sleeved in Mexico at the beginning of next year, I have to renew my passport first. My dilemma is choosing what hospital and dr to use. I understand there are so many choices and I do want to be wise with my funds, as I am paying from my savings. However, I do not want to overpay, not do I want to underpay if that means I will not get good results...I will certainly be going outside the US for this procedure as my health insurance will not cover it. My BMI is 42 and I am about 100 lbs overweight. At first I thought I would just be banded but it appears that many people who get banded later get surgery.

A bit about me, I found out in June of this year my position was being deleted after 28 years, I was offered a severance and my job was to end for good Aug 1 of this year. July 20th my husband had a massive heart attack and died. Everything seemed to happen so fast, but I think I have most things better under control. I will not start looking for new employment before February and I want to use this time to get healthier.

I would really appreciate any feedback on going to Mexico.

Thanks so very much

Bren

Bren I completely understand where your coming from because I had to jump a few hoops to see my option. First option was through an agency but it was so extremely high. I had issues understanding what was the difference between them and someone else. When I compared there was no reason for the prices to be so extreme. Glad I did my homework on that and saved like 6000.... Both these surgeons are in Mexico. I didn't want to go cheap or the expensive route! I have chosen Dr Aceves in Mexicali over Dr Pompa in Tijuana. These are my reasons 1) it's not a hospital and there's extra fee's to have a cardiologist in the room etc.... There's no blood bank in case of a transfusion. 2) Dr Aceves is a vet in this field and has been around for a long time and Dr Pompa is an intermediate. She's a nice lady but we need the experience here! 3) prices where ridiculously high compared to a vet in the field.This is a 6000 difference! I would stay away from any procedures not done in a hospital for your safety since it's not done in the U.S. My two choices is Dr Aceves and Dr Alvarez. These would be the only two people I would have a surgery with! These two are in the 8000 range. Another one is Dr Ortiz which also has great reviews and I believe is lower cost. I have friends who have been banded and wished they have taken the sleeve instead. They had to pay 18000 for the band and another 20 000 for a sleeve. They are also going to Mexico to get the sleeve done. My surgery is in Dec 14 with Dr Aceves..... I will keep u posted on the outcome.

My daughter and I are both getting the sleeve done in Tijuana on Dec. 11th at A Lighter Me. We have a good friend who just had her sleeve done there and has excellent reviews. I also had a niece have her's done in Tijuana, she went thru Obesity Control Center and also talks highly of her experience. Both were done in hospitals. Neither of our insurance will cover weight loss surgery, and even if they did, our deductible and copay would be more then we are paying in Mexico. I'm excited and scared at the same time. Anxious about the pre-op diet, when food is your friend, not easy to give up. I'm sure I can do it, it will all be worth it in the long run. I just turned 61..I promised myself I would get this weight off when I turned 40, then 50, then 60...so damn it, going to do something about it.

I can't help you with the Mexico thing but my heart goes out to you and I wish you the best luck

Peanutz, you've been through a lot and I'm sure this decision is a hard one to make. You really have to look at all of the doctors and their credentials and do the homework. Money should be a factor but definitely not the main factor. Speak with some of the doctors if possible prior to making any deposits for some peace of mind. I went to Dr Ariel Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center. It is not a hospital but a surgical center, which is where I would've had my surgery had I chosen to have it in the US. I have no health issues besides obesity, so it was never a huge issue not having my surgery in a hospital. On top of that, Im a nurse and there are so many germs in hospitals I'm glad I wasn't in that setting. The OR at the OCC was cleaner and less cluttered than any OR I've ever been in since they aren't doing so many different things in one place.

Like your post says, there are many variables that go into your decision and everyone is in a different situation. The other major thing I will mention is postop. It's not like the other people I've seen on this site who go to regular appointments and support groups which you don't have when you go to Mexico. I personally was happy for this because I don't need a bunch that support and would pull my hair out if I had to go to a support group. Some people need that though. That should factor into your decision as well. You may want to ask how each doctor handles patients postop or look around this site for people's postop experiences with the different docs

I, too, am going with Dr. Ortiz at Obesity Control Center. One of my questions for them was what if I have a complication that requires blood transfusion or emergency care? Would they have to send me to a local hospital? I was assured that they have a fully equipped ICU and are capable of handling any emergency. They are actually US certified as a hospital. At least one of their doctors are on call 24/7 and from their website I learned that both of their follow up physicians are certified in Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support by the American Safety & Health Institute. So in essence, you get the best of both worlds...the cleanliness, professionalism and experienced staff of a dedicated bariatric surgical center and a fully equipped hospital facility.

Peanuts- I'm having my sleeve done in TJ Mexico on Nov. 26 (coming up so quick!) I'm seeing the same Dr who did my lap band 8+ years ago. His name is Dr. Corvala. He performs the surgery at Angeles Hospital. The hospital is newer, it was not there when I had my band.

Anyhow, you can PM me after my surgery if you want to ask me questions or just see how my experience was.

Good luck to you and sorry for your loss.

I highly recommender Alvarez. I am now post op and having zero problems. I read about others complications and I know I am sooo lucky and blessed b/c so many are regretful and suffering. I sd to my hubby I was sooo glad I had the good sense to hire him. He has a book out, numerous YouTube sessions to educate you and weekly speaks on obesity chat. 8,700 total he has been named on Newsweek as one of the best bariatric surgeons. He doesn't touch the entry nor exit of the food mechanism..so there are no problems. My hubby is a dr and we chose him. Good luck on your decision.

Hi tjdorsett. I also am going to have my band surgery at Angeles Hospital on November 26th. It's coming up so fast. I'm both nervous and excited. How was your experience going to Mexico?

My doctor uses a more modest-but-full-service hospital, but his staff takes patients to Angeles for their final leak tests. Angeles' common areas are very hip/modern-looking (lobby with the soaring-heights-type tall ceiling, marble floors, Water features... Very upscale feel to it :))!

Bobbiejones27- my last experience 8 years ago was great. We had no problems and Dr. Corvala and all his staff was very nice and professional. This time I'm getting rid of my band and having a sleeve done. I'm getting nervous about post op with this one. It may sound weird but I hope I'm too miserable to be hungry! Last time with the band I was hungry the day after and until I got my first fill.

Good luck and I wish you well! PM me if you want.

I just returned today from sleeve surgery on 11/12 with Dr Elias Ortiz at Alighterme. My experience was exceptional. Everyone that had the surgery was feeling great. Plus they took us shopping, got us homemade ice cream, and the Drs checked on us 2 times a day at the Marriott.

One other option is the single incision version of the Sleeve which costs about $1000 more but goes in through your navel and leaves no scars and is a quicker and less painful recovery. I used Dr. Diaz for this procedure through MBC.