Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am self pay and found a surgeon that I am very comfortable in Mexico (Dr Ramos Kelly). My PCP looked him up with me and was on board. He said he would have no problem helping me with any follow up care. My parents however are not at all comfortable with Mexico. They convinced me to do the surgery in Chicago (they are helping me fund the additional cost of doing it here).

I am working with a surgeon in Chicago, but have not been impressed so far with everything. I had a horrible experience with his psychologist and am unsure about his nutritionist so far (have my one on one with her on Monday). I have a surgery date 12/9, but based on the discussion with the psychologist she might want to push it back b/c she needs paperwork done from my Doctor & Therapist and is unable to e-mail it so it must be done by snail mail (?!?!)

Because I had a surgery date, I have already bought tickets for my mother to come to Chicago for that date and set up the time off from work. So changing it at this point would be stressful on many fronts and expensive! I'm meeting with the surgeon on Monday, so should just remain calm and wait for that discussion, but the uncertainty has me very stressed out.

I am not wishing I just went with my gut and went to Mexico. I would already be in recovery :( if things do not go well on Monday, I may just take that route regardless.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Did you do the surgery where your family wanted or do what made you feel most comfortable?

Because my insurance covers my surgery, I never once considered Mexico. I find it comforting to be in my home city, near family, and with bariatric doctors on call 24/7. Does your bariatric center have another therapist you could talk to? What were your issues with her?

I felt very much like a piece of data to her. She did not look me in the eyes, she was looking out the door the entire time of the session.

She also sat all the way across the room. She told me to sit on one couch, and rather than sitting on the chair opposite to it, she sat on the couch behind that chair.

She cut me off after yes or no answers saying she just needed a yes or no. Then said she wasn't sure I was a good candidate, but when I pressed for why she had very vague answers. I still think it is likely she will approve me, but I left the session very emotionally drained.

She looked at a bunch of test questions, yes or no answers to very personal things and then judged me. It was really a horrible experience.

Wow. How demeaning! I am sorry you experienced this. She sounds like an unprofessional turd! Since your mom has already taken the time off, I would go ahead and talk to the surgeon. Advocate for your original date and see what happens. Let your surgeon know why it is important to you to keep that date. Even agree to see the turd in the interim if necessary. I know you are stressed and frustrated, but hang in there! I am rooting for ya!

Amy

My daughter has full coverage in the states but is going to MX because of the experience our particular surgeon has plus the excellent care that is receieved.

I couldn't find a surgeon here in WA that I was truly pleased with so I returned to MX for the sleeve. I've had so much success with MX surgeons that I will return for plastics. It's all in the research you do.

Not to say the states doesn't have excellent surgeons.. It's all in your comfort level that counts

I'm self pay in the US and didn't have to do the Psych consult. I would have as I don't have an issue with it - actually, I'm getting a lot from going to the psychologist-led support meetings my surgeon's office offers.

I will say this - no way in H E double hockey sticks would I put up with the behavior of that so-called mental health professional you dealt with. I would tell my doc in a heartbeat why I thought they sucked and to either refer me to someone else or I will take my self pay dollars elsewhere. Docs love self-pay patients - they get their money directly, no BS, no insurance hassles. We don't have a lot of advantages as self pay patients - use this one. I know I've seen a lot of folks use Chicago surgeons - ask around on the board. Don't settle for anything you are not comfortable with

Mel - I am going to tell the surgeon about my experience on Monday. Part of me just wants to play nice with this lady because she has been moving forward and may approve it, and I have already given her $300. Unless there is a valid concern that she can explain to me, I would like my surgery to move forward as scheduled, and I think finishing this with her will be the best way. I do 100% refuse to pay her anymore money.

Regardless of how it turns out, I would like him to know that the person I was referred to by his office was completely unprofessional.

Yeah, that sounds like a plan. It makes me mad when these folks just don't care.

I am a self payer and I saw some great options in Mexico and Texas (I live in TN). Ultimately I made the decision to pay more but stay close to home. I've got a fab surgeon who I like a lot plus I have 90 days of complication insurance with him. My his fee covers one year of follow up appointments with him, and unlimited access to the nutritionist, dietician, exercise physiologist, and support meetings. I realized all the aftercare was important to me. Plus I really didn't want to travel after surgery. I know folks do it all the time, I just didn't want to.

Good luck on your journey!