Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Weak Out - Dehydrated, Getting Hardly Any Protein And Starving

I am 7 days out and I know what you mean. I am on Clear Liquids till Saturday and my doctor said for the Clear liquid phase it is fine to have regular (sugar) clear liquids and this would make you fell perkier. I had been doing so qwell on the low sugar stuff pre op that I thought.....nah... I'll just keep doing that. By day 4, I felt like I was getting mono. Just dressing would make me tired. So I finally broke down and drank a couple of capri suns that belong to my kids. WOW, within the hour I could feel some energy returning.

As far as the Protein goes, New Whey Protein Bullets have 42g. (GNC)They are like Syrup so you definitely need to dilute in your Water bottle to get them down but that's over half of your daily needs. I used the grape and fruit punch ones and mixed with 24oz of Water then added grape mio in one and Crystal lite fruit punch in another and could not taste the bullet at all. I sip those at work in the AM and usually finish by lunch.

I, as you, am wondering about the future. That is why these forums are so great. It gives us the ability to ventilate and the support from fellow sleevers.

Hi. I just wanted to mention, if the shots are made of collagen protein they may be a bad source of protein. If u Google the ingredient you find that the amino acid in it, on a scale of 0-100 in bioavailability, is 0. Meaning our body can't utilize it as a protein source.

I was able to go to full liquids on day 3 and that included yogurt I would do Greek yogurt 5oz cup in vanilla and sprinkle sugar free pudding to give it flavor and also a sprinkle of usually chocolate Protein powder. If I remember my measuring it came out to 15g of Protein. It took me close to an hour to eat...but helped reach my numbers.

With the protein powders that have a temperature limit I would take an ounce or two of warn tap Water and dissolve my protein in that and boil the remaining Water to get it hot as I liked and then mixed the two, only clumping issues I had was if it took me too long to drink.

Making or buying protein pudding is another option try to eat a few bites (early out regular pudding was way too filling for me)

Hope some of these tips help! You'll be back at it in no time!

That's right…there is a WonderSlim Protein pudding or shake that my NUT approved for the first few weeks, if made with Water. I usually went the pudding option and drank more water. But they do not taste as much like the Protein Shakes and it's a different texture. Might be worth a try.

For those having trouble getting enough Protein, check this out: http://www.protica.com/Products/ProteinCandy.htm

I have one of the Protein Twist things in my fridge; haven't tried it yet but it says it's watermelon flavor. Says 15 gm protein, and it's very small - 2 teaspoons, max.

Fortunately I found a shake I like - Premier Protein, chocolate - and I still like it after surgery. And I've found I can drink an entire 11 oz serving as long as I don't rush. So I drink it over 20-30 minutes, and that does fine. I like them really really cold, so when it gets about time to have one I shake it well and put it in the freezer for 25 minutes (I use a timer, cause otherwise I'd forget and it would freeze solid). When I get it out I shake it again and voila! I like that it has little ice crystals in it.

Hope that helps!

Thank you laura-ven. I have not seen the Protein Soups online but I will definitely look for them. Problem I've noticed since surgery is I can't seem to get my Soup hot enough(I like it boiling hot for some reason) which causes issues with the 130 degrees protein breakdown limit. - I will work on this. Thanks for the uplifting words :)

Wowflower - hang in there sweetie, we will get through. Message me anytime you like.

I ordered the Syntrax Unflavored powder on Amazon, and tonight I mixed it into Pacific Organic Cashew Carrot Ginger soup. I could not taste the protein at all. Earlier today, I mixed bit into an orange-flavored Starbucks Via, and also no taste. Very thin protein, so no added texture when mixed.

It will get easier. I felt like I had been hit by a truck for the first two weeks. Took me about 3 hours to drink a Protein shake. I don't feel exactly energetic now, but that dreadful fatigue has gone. I too had regrets for the first couple of weeks. Couldn't believe I had done this to myself! Now, nearly 5 weeks out, it is all so much easier. No more regrets - love looking at the scale every morning!

I am trying really hard to stay optimistic but am feeling like crap. I keep reading through the forums to keep my head up. The Protein Drinks make me gag so I have to really really force them down, I am only getting about 20 grams of Protein a day. I have not been doing well with fluids either, I've been sticking at around 50 ounces per day: surprise.. I wake up dizzy, lightheaded and definitely dehydrated. I am doing well with drinking Powerade zero today so I am hopeful about that but I am starving... Ideas? I don't want to get sicker because that was never my goal, plus I am headed back to work on Monday which at this point feels scary.

I'm totally with you girl! My surgery was 11/11 and I'm not getting in nearly enough and feel very weak and tired. Haven't been able to walk much because it's hard to just stand for long periods without getting foggy headed. I'm ready for the sun to shine! Got my protein and liquids I just can't seem to stomach them.

I couldn't get any Protein down for a week after I supposed to start taking it. Hot coca is my key, I just figured it out. Nestle makes a fat free one with only 20 calories and only 4g of sugar. I heat my Water, dump in the packet of cocoa and add a scoop of unflavored Protein. Can't even tell it's in there. I have issues getting most anything else down but that hot coca seems to do the trick!

If you can drink Powerade, you can probably sink Isopure ready-to-drink from The Vitamin Shoppe. They're pretty sweet on their own, but not thick and milky. People in my nutrition class have been cutting them with G2 or powerade.

I was below all my marks for the first week too. The hot Soups were a big savior for me, I could do much more volume with them than i could even with plain Water.

Every day you wake up, you're a little bit more healed and things will go a little easier.

I got dehydrated on Day 3 post op - I tried a Vitamin Water Zero and that did the trick. Plain Water makes me gag right now (pre-op, I drank plain, room temp water all day long).

I'm on Day 5 and have not gotten in my water goal or my Protein goal - I just do what I can.

Once I started drinking the Vitamin Water Zero, I felt better immediately - within hours. I talked to my doc and he said if that's the way you can get fluids in, then do it. (they originally said, 80% plain water and 20% flavored sugar free water).

He also approves of Coconut Water - I just made a chocolate shake made with 4 oz of Coconut Water and 4 ounces of plain water. That did the trick for me - it's easier to get the shake down.

Best of luck to you!

The first 5-7 days post op are a challenge for sure. Main goal should be just liquids for that time being.

I didn't do anything Protein until Unjury chicken Soup around day 5ish. That was all I was able to get down. My nurse said just focus on hitting liquid goals for that first week. It gets better then during week 2. I'm one month this week and still have days I can't meet my goals For the day.

What your sleeve will or will not tolerate does fluctuate each and every day..so just hang in there.

It gets better. My week 1 go to was Propel Zero.

My hubby just went and got me some Vitamin Water zero and its tolerable so that's a good sign. Was thinking I was gonna have to call my dr and see him sooner if I stay like this. Already headed for a UTI and I definitely don't want that!

I got dehydrated on Day 3 post op - I tried a Vitamin Water Zero and that did the trick. Plain water makes me gag right now (pre-op, I drank plain, room temp water all day long).

I'm on Day 5 and have not gotten in my water goal or my Protein goal - I just do what I can.

Once I started drinking the Vitamin Water Zero, I felt better immediately - within hours. I talked to my doc and he said if that's the way you can get fluids in, then do it. (they originally said, 80% plain water and 20% flavored sugar free water).

He also approves of Coconut Water - I just made a chocolate shake made with 4 oz of Coconut Water and 4 ounces of plain water. That did the trick for me - it's easier to get the shake down.

Best of luck to you!

I, too, have been drinking coconut water. It's a good source of potassium, which is the same stuff in the hospital IV bags. Love the idea of blending it with chocolate! I think I'll do that with a little chocolate protein or chocolate PB2.< /p>

Edited by VSG AJH

I put ice in my Protein drinks to dilute them after I discovered it was the thick texture that made me gag. The icy coldness made it easier, especially since that's the same way I tolerate drinking milk.

Ever since I was a kid, the only way I could drink milk was that it had to be icy cold. I even put ice cubes in my Cereal and milk. Weird... I know! LOL. I also but the Protein Drink with ice in a blender do that it's like a shake. Tastes really good... Like a Frapuccino from Starbucks. LOL