Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Weak Out - Dehydrated, Getting Hardly Any Protein And Starving

I am trying really hard to stay optimistic but am feeling like crap. I keep reading through the forums to keep my head up.

The Protein Drinks make me gag so I have to really really force them down, I am only getting about 20 grams of Protein a day. I have not been doing well with fluids either, I've been sticking at around 50 ounces per day: surprise.. I wake up dizzy, lightheaded and definitely dehydrated. I am doing well with drinking Powerade zero today so I am hopeful about that but I am starving... Ideas? I don't want to get sicker because that was never my goal, plus I am headed back to work on Monday which at this point feels scary.

Powerade zero is good to add, you are doing well with the fifty ounces so adding 15 to 20 more will help. As far as Protein you need to look at it like medicine your body needs right now to heal.

Have you tried flavorless Protein Powder in a cream based Soup? They even sell protein Soups on certain websites :)

Pink I am in da same boat... All I am doing is drinking Water, sugar free Popsicle , and jello.. No energy ... Ughhhh

Thank you laura-ven. I have not seen the Protein Soups online but I will definitely look for them. Problem I've noticed since surgery is I can't seem to get my Soup hot enough(I like it boiling hot for some reason) which causes issues with the 130 degrees protein breakdown limit. - I will work on this. Thanks for the uplifting words :)

Wowflower - hang in there sweetie, we will get through. Message me anytime you like.

If you can eat Jello and Popsicles, how bout mixing unflavored Protein powder in with them (for Popsicles, mix the powder with juice or flavored water and freeze in small Dixie cups if you can't find the plastic reusable Popsicle molds.) Or try mixing unflavored powder in broth or cream Soups. Just keep them below 130-140 degrees.

Thanks so much pink???? my doc say I can have my weight Tomato Soup but I thought maybe not.. But it may taste pretty good after a couple of days of clear liquids..lol

I thought I could only have clear fluids ... I guess I jus didn't think I cud mix it... I did a sugar free fudgescicle yesterday and oh my gosh.. Made me miserable all night

Thank you laura-ven. I have not seen the Protein Soups online but I will definitely look for them. Problem I've noticed since surgery is I can't seem to get my Soup hot enough(I like it boiling hot for some reason) which causes issues with the 130 degrees protein breakdown limit. - I will work on this. Thanks for the uplifting words :)

Wowflower - hang in there sweetie, we will get through. Message me anytime you like.

Unjury has chicken soup and also a good unflavored along with a lot of recipes....I am 2 weeks out...my saving grace has been sf hot chocolate with unflavored protein so good! Good luck!

I'm two weeks out and feel the same way. I'm only getting in 25 oz. of Water and maybe, maybe 12 g of Protein a day. And, every day that goes by, I seem to be getting weaker and weaker. Getting dressed tires me out.

I am trying really hard to stay optimistic but am feeling like crap. I keep reading through the forums to keep my head up.
The protein drinks make me gag so I have to really really force them down, I am only getting about 20 grams of protein a day. I have not been doing well with fluids either, I've been sticking at around 50 ounces per day: surprise.. I wake up dizzy, lightheaded and definitely dehydrated. I am doing well with drinking Powerade zero today so I am hopeful about that but I am starving... Ideas? I don't want to get sicker because that was never my goal, plus I am headed back to work on Monday which at this point feels scary.

I am trying really hard to stay optimistic but am feeling like crap. I keep reading through the forums to keep my head up. The Protein drinks make me gag so I have to really really force them down, I am only getting about 20 grams of protein a day. I have not been doing well with fluids either, I've been sticking at around 50 ounces per day: surprise.. I wake up dizzy, lightheaded and definitely dehydrated. I am doing well with drinking Powerade zero today so I am hopeful about that but I am starving... Ideas? I don't want to get sicker because that was never my goal, plus I am headed back to work on Monday which at this point feels scary.

I was just about to post a thread nearly identical to yours. I am exactly one week post op and I feel horrible. I am so weak and fatigue so easily. Then I see all these people posting about how GREAT they feel and I just want to cry. I doing ok with the fluids but the protein is what is hard for me. The Protein Shakes make me want to puke and I actually liked them before surgery. I have tried the unflavored protein in Soups and I couldn't stomach it. I tried the fruity flavored protein powder with crystal light and it made me want to puke. At this point I don't even have the energy to care for my children let alone return to work. On top of all that is already going on I have a cough, diarrhea ( I guess I overdid it on the stool softener) and I stiff neck ( feels like I pulled a muscle) so I can hardly get any sleep. I'm just trying to choke down the protein shakes everyday but I am really really having a hard time.

Have faith everyone! I felt the same way- I'm just over 4weeks post-op now, but my first 2 weeks were HORRIBLE- I was even readmitted for dehydration! I have never felt as lousy in my life, and I considered regretting everything, but don't believe in regrets... Then suddenly, out of nowhere, I had a ton of energy! Not sure why or how, but turned the corner and have been doing great since (save for this terrible head cold I have going on... I could have lived without it!)! Just do your best on Protein and fluids- I set timers to take sips every 5 minutes. Plan for little trips... My daily trip to walk around CVS to get a different med or to the grocery store to try a different mixer for my protein (I hated/hate them all too) was my daily exercise. Just keep going, don't give up. Every day that passes you are one step closer to feeling and being better (and I promise the days will go by!) take it one day at a time :)

Oh yes! I felt like crap the first week or two!

It is major surgery don't let the cute little incisions fool you.

Right now just focus on liquids, Protein and rest

In between walking that is. Be kind to yourself and know that it will get better soon :)

I am 7 days out and I know what you mean. I am on Clear Liquids till Saturday and my doctor said for the Clear liquid phase it is fine to have regular (sugar) Clear Liquids and this would make you fell perkier. I had been doing so well on the low sugar stuff pre op that I thought.....nah... I'll just keep doing that. By day 4, I felt like I was getting mono. Just dressing would make me tired. So I finally broke down and drank a couple of capri suns that belong to my kids. WOW, within the hour I could feel some energy returning.

As far as the Protein goes, New whey Protein Bullets have 42g. (GNC)They are like Syrup so you definitely need to dilute in your Water bottle to get them down but that's over half of your daily needs. I used the grape and fruit punch ones and mixed with 24oz of Water then added grape mio in one and Crystal lite fruit punch in another and could not taste the bullet at all. I sip those at work in the AM and usually finish by lunch.

I, as you, am wondering about the future. That is why these forums are so great. It gives us the ability to ventilate and the support from fellow sleevers.

Don't hesitate to call your doc (my bariatric office includes a gastroenterologist who specializes in bariatric support) -- I had a very tough time with everything making me gag. He turned me on to Zinc, and promised me it would make a difference in just a couple of days. It definitely did. I'm 11 weeks out, and I still struggle with food and Protein, but the awful reaction is gone.

Thank you laura-ven. I have not seen the Protein Soups online but I will definitely look for them. Problem I've noticed since surgery is I can't seem to get my Soup hot enough(I like it boiling hot for some reason) which causes issues with the 130 degrees protein breakdown limit. - I will work on this. Thanks for the uplifting words :) Wowflower - hang in there sweetie, we will get through. Message me anytime you like.

Check out www.nashuanutrition.com - lots of protein soups, puddings, jellos, etc. I'm pre-op but just placed an order of all kinds of protein things so I'm ready to go :)