Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So when my insurance was approved I got a call. Then the admitting/pre-op nurse from hospital called me 2 days prior to surgery and said insurance covered all but $2500 which I had to pay up front. I paid that on the morning of, had my surgery, and went home.

Last night I got a bill for $3800 not including the $2500.

Ummmmmmm.... I maxed out my care credit card for that original $2500 and I'm not working due to a layoff. What should I do? Can they really bill me for that much additional stuff?

Have you contacted the insurance to see if it's genuinely not covered? I know some policies only cover a certain percent and it varies in network/out of network.

Up front did you pay Dr./Hospital/anesthesia/site/equiptment/etc fees?

I had a similiar thing happen yesterday, my doc office collected the remainder that I had to get to my $3000 deductible, around $1300 which I paid (on a credit card) two weeks before my surgery - duh - I wasn't thinking b/c I had also gone for pre-op appointments for blood work and for my General Practioner to be cleared for surgery - long story short it was about $800 that should have been applied to the deductible and now I feel like I'm being screwed and over billed... plus my policy covers 90% which is GREAT - but 10% of $60K is still $6,000!!!! plus my WLS doc asked for $2000 to cover the next year for whatever happens - all fills, doc appointments and so on... but that doesn't get counted towards my insurance - in hindsight it seems like a scam....

I went into this thinking I'd be paying cash b/c I wouldn't be approved by Insurance - so I'm still better off but it doesn't hurt any less when those big fat bills start to come in!!! :((((((

You are NOT alone!

I had Kaiser and they referred me out to a surgeon and the hospital kept billing me for the surgery because Kaiser wouldn't pay them. So I called Kaiser and they told me not to worry about it, there were some errors in the billing. So I recommend calling your insurance company and discussing it with them. It might be the same thing. I do know that Kaiser doesn't pay what the hospital was asking. They paid a lot less..... :P

I lost my insurance a week after surgery. I wonder how that will all work out? I misplaced the damn bill so I don't even know who to call. I'm a mess!

Hi Lauren, don't worry, they will send you another bill -- you can be sure of that! Thank goodness you had the surgery while you still had the insurance. I would try to relax then when you are ready start fighting the insurance company. I have been successful with this (not LB but other stuff for my spouse). Take notes on each call and there will be an escalation process to appeal. Make that insurance company pay -- be a squeaky wheel while killing them with kindness at the same time. When you get bills from the hospital just let them know you are appealing to the insurance company and will get back to them. Have a copy of the hospital bill when you talk to the insurance company. If it turns out you are responsible, then you can contact your hospital to inquire about special circumstances (job loss, etc.). They can negotiate what you owe and they will set up a payment plan. This could be $20/month. First step is to get the insurance stuff straightened out, though. Good luck!

Hi Lauren, don't worry, they will send you another bill -- you can be sure of that! Thank goodness you had the surgery while you still had the insurance. I would try to relax then when you are ready start fighting the insurance company. I have been successful with this (not LB but other stuff for my spouse). Take notes on each call and there will be an escalation process to appeal. Make that insurance company pay -- be a squeaky wheel while killing them with kindness at the same time. When you get bills from the hospital just let them know you are appealing to the insurance company and will get back to them. Have a copy of the hospital bill when you talk to the insurance company. If it turns out you are responsible, then you can contact your hospital to inquire about special circumstances (job loss, etc.). They can negotiate what you owe and they will set up a payment plan. This could be $20/month. First step is to get the insurance stuff straightened out, though. Good luck!

thank you!