Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horror stories?!?

Wow!!!!!!!!!! are you serious????? Why are u making this to be something that it's not?!?!? Please stop!!! We are all suppose to be adults in here!!!!! All I want was to hear about the diff horror stories ppl have heard!!

Indira, I'm very sorry that your thread was hijacked. MsShay seems to have an issue with me and my efforts to be helpful. I hope this will stop here and others will step in to give you the information you requested. Best wishes.

Wow!!!!!!!!!! are you serious????? Why are u making this to be something that it's not?!?!? Please stop!!! We are all suppose to be adults in here!!!!! All I want was to hear about the diff horror stories ppl have heard!!

The VP of my department had the surgery years ago. He tried to scare me by telling me about certain foods making him sick and multiple admissions for strictures and other stuff. I know he has had issues. He told me not to trust any surgeon in Alaska and to go to the lower 48. But then followed that by make sure you live close to your surgeon because other surgeons wont touch you if you have complications. Blah blah blah... he's s great person and very knowledgeable about healthcare but I think he just know enough about me to know this is a good choice for me.

Indira' date=' I'm very sorry that your thread was hijacked. MsShay seems to have an issue with me and my efforts to be helpful. I hope this will stop here and others will step in to give you the information you requested. Best wishes.[/quote']

Yea right hurtful not helpful

Mz Shay

The VP of my department had the surgery years ago. He tried to scare me by telling me about certain foods making him sick and multiple admissions for strictures and other stuff. I know he has had issues. He told me not to trust any surgeon in Alaska and to go to the lower 48. But then followed that by make sure you live close to your surgeon because other surgeons wont touch you if you have complications. Blah blah blah... he's s great person and very knowledgeable about healthcare but I think he just know enough about me to know this is a good choice for me.
... Thank u for sharing ????

Center of excellence are what I've researched to be the best places with highest results. While there is always a risk with any major surgery with something going wrong the facilities that have generally been designated as "Center of Excellence" do a high volume of patients and usually less complications. I had a cousin die back in the late 80s from "stomach stapling" but I think it was more complications from other things months afterwards. People will have plenty of horror stories and I was scared myself. Even going as far as writing my kiddo a note and telling everyone I loved them...just in case. As many horror stories as u may hear...there are so many success stories too.. Just simply browse this forum a while. Good luck on your journey and overall it's something you have to weigh the personal risks of. The real horror story to me was being so young and so unhealthy and knowing I was cheating myself and my family with a healthy normal life.

(...) There is so much to learn about WLS and the lifestyle changes you have to make before surgery and every day of your life thereafter. It's good to seek out information' date=' but try to keep a balanced view and don't add unnecessarily to your own natural jitters by filling your mind with supposed horror stories. They bring you down and sap your energy just when you need to be focused on your own health and well-being. (...) [/quote'] I agree, each journey is very different and I encourage you to ask your doctor any question that will come to your mind. I was curious about feeling hungry and my doctor explained me very well the satiety feeling bio mechanisms, so I felt very well informed. Sometimes people have issues with depression, self image or social interactions. If your insurance requires psych eval, any potential problems should be caught and addressed... I wish you luck and courage :)

Why do you want to hear horror stories? Are you a troll?

How old are you? 5?? Grow up. I can't believe the administrators let you stay on here. You are obviously not here to support anyone!!

Didn't mean to be rude...When I first told people I was going to get rny... I heard so many stories from everyone... so my question was what's some of the horror stories people heard when they first told people...

I did a lot of searching for info. I saw so many positives so I started looking for negatives - I wanted to know what to expect if something didn't go as planned. What I found was people who had infections, difficult recoveries, complications and even a young woman who had a heart attack (she had an undiagnosed heart condition). Even of this group no one regretted having the surgery. That was a big factor in my ultimate decision.

I did have a friend who went through the whole pre-op process and backed out. She was afraid because she has a family history of stomach cancer. She was told that once the surgery was done there was no way to scope (?) the detached portion of her stomach. It was a genuine concern for her. She admits she might change her mind some day in the future.

I think that its great that ahe is aski g for horror stories. If you ignore the possible side effects how can you really say you are prepared for the surgery? I asked my surgeon about every detail that could go wrong. If you don't learn about the bad that couls happen I think that You are a fool and are doing this for all the wrong reasons.

So, back on topic, what I heard over and over and OVER was that I'd never be able to eat again and I'd end up anorexic and so emaciated i'd be unhealthy. Obviously that's not an issue.

Now to the other issue that is popping up on here, please try to keep on topic. If you have a personal problem with someone take it private OR make your own thread and rant and rave and call each other names there. I considerate it inappropriate to hijack someone else's posts for your private issues that frankly I don't want to read. (And I wanted to read this thread, I find it a very interesting question)

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198

So, back on topic, what I heard over and over and OVER was that I'd never be able to eat again and I'd end up anorexic and so emaciated i'd be unhealthy. Obviously that's not an issue.

Now to the other issue that is popping up on here, please try to keep on topic. If you have a personal problem with someone take it private OR make your own thread and rant and rave and call each other names there. I considerate it inappropriate to hijack someone else's posts for your private issues that frankly I don't want to read. (And I wanted to read this thread, I find it a very interesting question)

I so totally agree with you. I want to hear/read any informative issues people have with their process, complications, goals, achievements, etc, don't care about their personal life per se. I am 71 and lately have been reading so much petty c..p that I'm thinking this is a forum for a bunch of teenagers. Love your post.

I so totally agree with you. I want to hear/read any informative issues people have with their process' date=' complications, goals, achievements, etc, don't care about their personal life per se. I am 71 and lately have been reading so much petty c..p that I'm thinking this is a forum for a bunch of teenagers. Love your post.[/quote']

I agree I wanted to hear the horror stories as well. I'm pre op and I want to know what could possible happen.

As far as people going off topic it only takes one person to say something out of pocket to send it way off. But if I see something that is very rude and disrespectful I'm not going to hide anymore. This is a place I come for support and advice. And it's only one person who has thrown the whole forum into the ruts. So weed out the bad so it can be positive again!!

I actually don't think the troll question was ridiculous nor do I think her response was inappropriate. At least she's on topic.

I actually don't think the troll question was ridiculous nor do I think her response was inappropriate. At least she's on topic.

HW 312' date=' pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198[/quote']

What does a troll have to do with a horror story?