Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op with question about MRSA (staph infection)

I developed this extremely painful staph infection in both legs in November. Had no idea what it was but dr said it is very common and aggressive. It eventually healed and I thought it was over. Wrong. I continue to get these in various places all over my body. An ER dr said some people just end up as carriers and just have to deal with and hope that it never gets bad enough to require surgery. So, my long winded question is, do you think I'm going to have a lot of infection problems or possibly be denied surgery (lap band) because of this? My initial consult is 3/20 and I will ask him, but this is another worry that's been creeping into my mind...I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Following a knee surgery I had several years ago, I developed a staph infection on my left upper thigh. Not knowing what it was I scratched at it and spread it around the leg. The doctors would never own up to it as a staph infection (I'm sort of a med-head, so I did my own research). It took a LONG time, but after leaving it alone and keeping the area dry, it did clear up finally.

It didn't involve my surgical area, but if it had gotten into a wound, I would have been very concerned (and angry!)

Best of luck to you!

Bec

You would definately do yourself a great service to wait until your infection clears up..

I'd still go through all your pre-op appointments and requirements (these can take a long time anyways) but make sure the infection is completely gone before getting an operation or any preop requirements like an ekg done until you're sure the infection is gone. Let your doctor know your situation, and explain your intentions to get all the pre-op stuff done first, but to that you will wait until the infection is completely gone... If you get to a point where you have to stop in the pre-op process because you have to wait for the infection to clear, then sadly you will want to do that.. Getting what you can get done lets them get the insurance paperwork going, and lets you do the things you need to do (pre-op diet, etc) in order to be ready for the operation... My insurance policy approved me for an operation from feb-july, and I assume most will give you at least some window to work in. If its going to be close, you can often file for an extension.. If you blow the date, its a bummer, but you're at least you're safe and still alive.. I cannot see a scenereo where one couldn't resubmit to insurance due to your situation.. I suppose anything's possible, but I just can't see it.

Staph is crazy stuff and not to be messed with. My dad is a doc, so one would think he'd have known better, but he had athletes foot, which he ignored for a long time. He got staph through the sores in his feet and it took him a month to get well enough to practice again.. Its evil stuff, no doubt. His fever got so high I twice had to carry him into the tub and ice him down.. Beware!

Good luck to you, and hope this helps :)

:angel: Thanks everyone for responding... I'm a natural worrier so this has really been bothering me. I've been struggling with my weight for so long and feel like I'm this close to finding success at returning to my normal weight...I have this feeling that it's my luck to get quick surgeon/ins approval but this nasty little B*@#% is going to ruin it all for me!!! I called the surgeon today & the nurse said it's not an automatic disqualifier, just be sure to discuss it when I see the doc 3/28. Please say a little prayer for me if that's your thing. I'll keep you all in mine.

:angel:

Thanks

Crystal

I had a lot of problems with MRSA... both Hubby and I have. We would get boils a lot and they always did cultures and found MRSA.

Thank goodness it has pretty much cleared up. I have had one case of it since my banding... but it didn't interfere with it at all.

I would strongly suggest you talk to your Dr.'s about this....

Thanks HeatherGurl, I'll be meeting my surgeon in exactly 2 weeks. I plan to have extensive conversations with him about it. My husband and one of my daughters have had problems too. I know that everyone has it on their skin and under nails etc, but I just cannot imagine why it has hit us so much. After I learned what it was I started keeping spray bottles of bleach Water in my kitchen and bathrooms and made sure no one shared towels, took all precautions I could think of. My daughter in law found a cleaner/disinfectant called PS that is supposed to kill it so heres hoping that works. It just grosses me out so much and I feel guilty that my family is suffering from something I had. :phanvan

We use Dial Antibacterial bath wash. My 2 year old had a boil on her little bottom at the top of her butt crack when she was a month old. It was so scary.

She has not had any more.

We don't share towels, wash cloths and try to be VERY sanitary... not that we weren't before, but since we are all hosts to this junk, I want to be super careful.

I clean our tub with clorox weekly.

They also recommend putting bleach in your bath Water a few times a week to help kill the germs.

Best of luck to you.

I never thought about the bleach in the bath Water idea. I have heard that phisoderm helps and I sprayed that PS cleanser on my hands a couple times just to make myself feel better. I've got about four lumps in my armpit that I cant get to drain. Thanks for sharing your ideas. It makes me feel better to be able to talk about it with people who understand that we're not unclean or unsanitary in any way, we're just unlucky!

Hi Crystal,

I am new to this site and waiting to be banded. I was reading your old post regarding your fear of MRSA. Just curious, did you go through with the surgery and how are you? I too have had 2 active mrsa infections and am really worried about having the band site get infected too. thanks! Karen in Maine

I have recently been battling Mrsa infections. I was given the ok for surgery and then had a boil this was in January. I have since been on antibiotics and fighting break outs. My surgeon said I am good to go when I am symptom free - BUT- I can't find that much info on Mrsa people with the lapband. My caseworker in the bariatric dept feels gastric bypass would be safer due to the fact I won't have a foreign object in my body. I have been on this journey for months but am unsure if i should proceed. Is there anyone else out there who has Mrsa and has also had the lapband? I did read the one response and it was helpful.:)

11/06 I started battling MRSA. I would get a sore every month from Nov to March. It was on my skin, not in the blood. My surgeon discovered a yeast infection under my breast. I'd had it forever, just thought it was heat rash, something I would have to deal with since I was so heavy and have great big boobs. Once that cleared up, I haven't had any other MRSA problems. I did have a course of Vancomycin via IV the morning of my surgery, just to be on the safe side. Check yourself all over for any skin conditions. If you have MRSA just on your skin and clear up any skin problems, maybe it won't come back. Good luck and keep in touch.

Crystal

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I was wondering if anyone else had MRSA before the band?

I had boils (a few had to be drained) from August 2008 to January 2009, so I havent had a boil for almost 6 months. I go for pre-op soon and Im hoping they swab me for MRSA. Im hoping that complications due to previous case of MRSA wont hinder my healing after band placement. thx