Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone having surgery beginning of 2014?

I haven't posted in forever even though I check in everyday. I wish I had more time to spend on this forum. This forum has been so helpful with my questions. I met with the surgeon yesterday and only had a handful of questions (the rest have pretty much been answered on here). The main question was if he removed the gallbladder at the same time but he said not unless he sees a problem with it. They submit to the insurance company on Friday and to be on the safe and practical side I anticipate a January surgery. So here's looking forward to a thin new year...:-)

Congratulations to all of the 2014'ers...

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Hi my name is Indira I'm also pre-op.... I've been over weight since I had my first child in 2000....I'm now a single mom of 3 and weight 296... I'm hoping to have my RNY by Jan/Feb of 2014.. Because of my insurance I have to see the nutritionist for 4 months.. Had my first appointment today!! I'm very nervous about surgery BUT very excited to lose weight!!! My goal weight is 150/160lbs I'm 5'5.....

I had my first appointments at the mayo clinic. During my exam my endocrinologist found that my thyroid seems to be enlarged. I don't think it will delay a surgery since I have to do a 12 week behavior modification program that is supervised by a psychologist or medical professional as a requirement for the mayo, but my insurance requires a three month doctor supervised weight loss plan as well. I would project based on my visits last b week that my surgery will be early February at the earliest. I am looking forward to the behavior modification program. I have already learned to tell myself I choose not to have... rather than saying I can't have. I got my husband to move the treadmill in to the house from the garage tonight. I got only 10 minutes in tonight. This is going to be a long trek to get up to thirty minutes a day. I'll do ten more minutes early tomorrow morning before work. I wish everyone new good luck and a positive attitude.

I attended, for the second time (the first time was about 24 months ago, too old for my insurance to give me credit so I had to repeat, which was fine -- you can't know too much about post-op realities). This second class only had three patients, whereas the one in Nov 2011 had about a dozen. That is probably just happenstance.

But one gal out of the three -- not me -- got up half way through and said "You know what? I know I can't deal with all this stuff you are telling me is going to happen. I have decided. I can't have the surgery." And she rushed out. It wasn't a support group but I wanted to rush out after her and encourage her to remember that she could change her mind again. She had a challenge I did not ever consider: she said she is illiterate, that she cannot read or write. Her mom - and this woman was in her forties, her mom in her sixties, I think -- was there to be her reader. It would be hard to make all the changes in eating and not be able to read for one's self, wouldn't it? I don't know if that is why she leapt out of her chair and left.

ReaRaes: I love reading about your love for your behavior mod. For a couple years now, when I say no to sweets, usually dessert in groups when it is harder for me to not just go along and have dessert when 'everyone else is', I tell myself that I am loving myself healthy, not denying myself. As I turn down dessert, I tell myself "I love myself too much to eat this fill-in-the-blank". It works surprisingly well. I feel good about myself and don't feel deprived. Behavior mod really works!

Tizzielish, I think that is great "I love myself too much to eat that." If you don't mind I may use that too.

I feel terrible for the woman that left part way through the meeting. I work at a college and have many students that can barely read or write and I get so angry at their schools for letting them get to college so ill prepared. I can't imagine being around 40 and illiterate. I love reading. Maybe too much, if I loved it less perhaps I'd be more active and not where I am today. Fighting to take off 130 pounds.

I'm hoping for an early January surgery!!! I had my psych eval today and got the Green light :-) I was so nervous but everyone was super nice and it went great!! The psych eval was the last thing I had to complete!!! Extremely excited for this to happen and to start my new life. Next, I see the surgeon. 2014 is our year girls!

I had my first appointment with the surgeon yesterday. I went very well. I have to go to my PCM on November 19th for the labs and get referrals for the Phychologist, Pulmonolgy, and Cardiology. I am so happy and hope that I can get the appointments in and done sooner rather than later. I go to my first support group meeting Saturday, I have to attend two. I'm so glad that the ball is rolling!!

Hello All!

I think I can finally say I'm having surgery in between Jan and Feb 2014! I met with the surgeon today and after him asking me around 4-5 times throughout the consultation if I was ready for this surgery and the life changes it brings, he finally asked if I would like to be put on the list to be scheduled for RNY after Jan 1st. I smiled and answered for the final time "Yes Please!"

I am so excited and nervous all rolled into one! It's finally happening! I will be contacted sometime between now and then by the surgery nurse as to when I need to start a 4wk liquid diet, appt with anesthesiologist, dietary and preop labs. The surgeon said the reason for 4wk liquid diet is to prove my motivation for having surgery, I have to lose 23lbs. Never thought I'd look forward to a liquid diet but right now I'm in "Bring it on!" mode, I'm so happy it's happening!

Hello, I am having my Gastric Bypass in January 2014. I have been going thru weight management classes since June. I have seen all the required doctors. I meet with my nutritionist next week. Very excited! Everyone has been great. I'm ready for this. The only problem I have is I don't want certain people to know until later (like my inlaws) does anyone else feel like this?

Hello, I am having my Gastric Bypass in January 2014. I have been going thru weight management classes since June. I have seen all the required doctors. I meet with my nutritionist next week. Very excited! Everyone has been great. I'm ready for this. The only problem I have is I don't want certain people to know until later (like my inlaws) does anyone else feel like this?

KCamp, you are not alone and I believe you are very wise in selecting who to tell. Everyone is going to have an opinion and you only need to hear positive supportive feedback while you're going through the toughest days in your journey. I don't intend to tell my parents or my husband's parents until I'm ready. Staying focused right now is very important to me and that's the main reason I too am practicing "Opinion Management" right now. I think we all know who we can trust and who will support us. Don't feel bad about being selective. I think it's very mature of you. Good luck on your journey. Sandy

Hello everyone!! I just got my date its January 13th!! I hope someone has theirs around that time. I don't want to be the only one..lol

kespy74 -- You said your insurance does not require a pre=op diet. It must be nice. I felt much discouraged when told I had to lose 10% of my weight but it wasn't an insurance requirement, it was my surgeon's requirement.

Don't be surprised if your surgeon asks you to go on an all liquid Protein diet for two weeks before the surgery. The pre-op diet is partly intended to show insurance companies you can change how you eat but the pre-surgery diet is designed to reduce your liver fat because that improves your surgery and surgery recovery.

I actually hope you have to do at least a couple weeks food prep for the surgery, it is for your own good.

And, hey, sounds like you have great insurance!! Lucky you.

Hello, I am having my Gastric Bypass in January 2014. . . .. The only problem I have is I don't want certain people to know until later (like my inlaws) does anyone else feel like this?

KCamp, I encourage you to trust your instincts on who to tell and when. I have known people who had the surgery and never have told anyone but their closest friends or lifle partners, they let others think they finally lost weight through diet and exercise. So many people have mostly unconscious and mistaken bias about fat people. They think we can just take it off. Increasingly medical science is deonstrating through controlled random studies that obesity is itself an illness and altho a poor diet can exacerbate being fat, most folks get fat because of damaged metabolisms, not because they ate too much pizza all their lives followed by ice cream.

You trust your own inner guidance and tell only who you feel guided to tell. Your inner voice is wise.

Yea I feel like that also, everyone is not going to agree with what we are doing and we don't need that type of negativity around us on our journey! Tell whoever when you feel ready to!