Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I falling back to old habits

I'm 3 months out this month will make 4 and I have just almost completely stopped wanting to eat regular meat and have turned into a snacker. I'm drinking smoothie King Gladiator smoothies for Breakfast almost daily, so I'm getting in my Protein because some days I have 2 smoothies. I have been eating blue diamond Soy and Was-bi almonds by the can at least 3 times a week. I often eat small amounts of chips but I'm not getting enough real protein in from meats. I'm not really seeing the scale go down but it rather just fluctuates between 3 to 4 pounds gain and then drops back to 238. Should I force myself to go back and eat real meat or is the almonds and the smoothie king gladiator to much. My daily calorie intake has increased from 700 to 800 calories to at least 1600 I believe. What should I do ? I would like to drop down to 200 lbs by February 2014. With the exception of this week I haave been working out doing at least 30 minutes of light strength training and cardio at the gym 3 times a week. I'm thinking since I didn't get in the gym so far this week my weight may just be muscle gained or I could just be eating to many slider foods and its starting to bother me. I know its only 4 pounds but I didn't have the surgery to re find the weight I lost.

I'm still pre-op, so not an expert, but at my NUT class this week, the nutritionist specifically addresses the Smoothie King Gladiator, saying they're off limits. Super high calorie count for shakes. The goal is minimum 15g Protein (but ideally 25-30g) in no more than 200 calories. Many shake companies will send you samples via their website. I think also getting Protein from meat or fish will help you feel that sense of fullness longer, thus reducing the desire to graze.

That said, I don't think almonds and snacky things are entirely off limits -- just plan for them, making sure they assist you in reaching your protein goals while not exceeding your calorie goals. Maybe make up a daily food box with an assortment of items, and when that box is empty, stop eating. Also, maybe other snacky, salty things would satisfy, but at a lower caloric intake -- edamame, perhaps?

Calories too high. Gotta get back to under 1200 or so.

Fred my recommendations is to get your calories from real food. Forgive me for being blunt but you're doing what people who gain weight after VSG do--drinking your calories and getting some from chips etc. You need chicken, beef, pork eggs cheese etc so you can feel the restriction that the VSG gives you.

At four months out, you should be down to maybe 1 Protein shake. My shakes have 150 calories, not more. Nuts are nutritious but highly caloric.

I'd suggest 1 homemade Protein Shake, and 4-5 meals of real food. 1/2 c meat, 1/4 c veggies, 1/4 c complex carbs at most at each meal. That combo will fill you up and get your calories in balance. If you're still hungry with all that, make vegetable Soup and drink that. HTH

Fred my recommendations is to get your calories from real food. Forgive me for being blunt but you're doing what people who gain weight after VSG do--drinking your calories and getting some from chips etc. You need chicken, beef, pork eggs cheese etc so you can feel the restriction that the VSG gives you. <br><br> At four months out, you should be down to maybe 1 Protein Shake. My shakes have 150 calories, not more. Nuts are nutritious but highly caloric. <br><br> I'd suggest 1 homemade Protein shake, and 4-5 meals of real food. 1/2 c meat, 1/4 c veggies, 1/4 c complex carbs at most at each meal. That combo will fill you up and get your calories in balance. If you're still hungry with all that, make vegetable Soup and drink that. HTH

I disagree about the nuts. They're good fats. Good protein. Good Fiber. Good calories. Good carbs. Good nutrients. Now, if they're chocolate covered.... ;-)

I disagree about the nuts. They're good fats. Good Protein. Good fiber. Good calories. Good carbs. Good nutrients. Now, if they're chocolate covered.... ;-)

I agree...but three cans a week? When you're trying to reduce calories that's a good place to cut right?

I disagree about the nuts. They're good fats. Good Protein. Good fiber. Good calories. Good carbs. Good nutrients. Now, if they're chocolate covered.... ;-)

I agree...but three cans a week? When you're trying to reduce calories that's a good place to cut right?

And a lot of sodium too. I prefer raw unsalted almonds myself...

Ugh... Why is quoting a poster not working right?!??

Cans of mixed nuts are very high in sodium. I prefer, and recommend, unsalted raw almonds and pistachios.

Sigh... Duplicate post.

I have been going through exactly the same thing. I have started to notice that some bad habits have begun to creep in. The great news is that you recognize that and you have acknowledged it. You have to go back to basics and follow it as best you can. My surgeon keeps reminding me that during the "honeymoon" phase you REALLY need to learn good eating habits as the further you are out the harder it gets. Remember this is for life and you have to start eating like someone who is really healthy if you want to stay healthy. I hope that doesn't sound to preachy because I REALLY REALLY know how tough it is. Hang in there and give it 100% You have made some great progress already!

I have been going through exactly the same thing. I have started to notice that some bad habits have begun to creep in. The great news is that you recognize that and you have acknowledged it. You have to go back to basics and follow it as best you can. My surgeon keeps reminding me that during the "honeymoon" phase you REALLY need to learn good eating habits as the further you are out the harder it gets. Remember this is for life and you have to start eating like someone who is really healthy if you want to stay healthy. I hope that doesn't sound to preachy because I REALLY REALLY know how tough it is. Hang in there and give it 100% You have made some great progress already!

I'm glad you posted. I was going to try to find your previous post to check in on you but I'm having a leetle trouble navigating the new site :)

Are you able to get back on plan? It's gotta be tough.

I'm glad you posted. I was going to try to find your previous post to check in on you but I'm having a leetle trouble navigating the new site :)

Are you able to get back on plan? It's gotta be tough.

Thanks Gamergirl! I have made some significant changes. Not 100% there yet, but, I have definitely refocused :-)

One big concern with getting your Protein primarily from those shakes is that your body will only absorb as much of the protein as it needs at the time so while the shake has 45 grams of protein in it if your just drinking it for your Breakfast and not doing a workout a lot of that protein is just going to pass through and not be absorbed. While I am not completely sure of the facts I know I have heard that passing too much protein through without absorption is also not good for your kidneys. So my personal opinion has always been to limit the amount of protein in any one meal to under 30 usually around 20to25 obviously if your working out you can increase it. Good LUck.

I also have become a snacker, but I find if I eat meat I get fuller for longer so if I do that first then I don't eat as much crap. I started using My Fitness Pal and tracking my calories. If I stay at 1200 I lose, if I go over I don't.

Nuts are considered a slider for some. My NUT and surgeon recommends counting them out and not getting into a habit of eating them because they may not fill you up. They are similar to chips - you chew them down to nothing and they slide right on through, no dense Protein.

Back on topic, I find myself in your position too. I prefer to drink than eat (teas, Water, Powerade zero, etc) but don't want to eat and if I do it's not an actual meal but rather a few bites of a Quest bar or some fruit. It kinda sucks but meat makes me sick now. I'm hoping that goes away soon.