Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone done Mexico all alone?

I am at such odds with myself. I am a self-pay and originally had plans to do the surgery in the USA. I even put a $500 deposit down at a place only an hour away from my home.

Since that time I've gone through a very amicable divorce, major move, and giant income drop. I have zero support. I have no family and I am keeping this a secret from my friends (who all are skinny and would never support me in this).

I've giving myself several months to get my feet back on solid ground and to make sure this is still the right decision for me in my current life. I am still debating wether to even move forward with the surgery or not. BUT...I absolutely cannot afford the $15,000 it costs in the US so my option is now Mexico. And that is what I am currently researching.

I have nobody to accompany me to Mexico. Is it crazy to do that alone? I would be flying from the east coast. How is the travel back after surgery? Did you need assistance moving around, lifting luggage, in/out of cars? How was your fatigue immediately following surgery? Did the practice you chose help to organize any medical needs (bandages/vitamins/pain pills) for your return trip?

I guess I just want to know if it is possible to do all of this alone with no travel companion? I am scared to do it, but I am also scared to NOT do it.

Thanks!

There was a post recently about someone traveling to Mexico with a spanish speaking friend who was thinking of going with with others for a fee. I'll see if I can find it.

There were 2 people in my group who went alone. They seemed fine. The coordinator met them at the hotel. the drivers took care of them. The hotel staff is trained to be very helpful. the drivers pick you up at the airport in San Diego and drop you off there for your return.

I went to Dr Ariel Ortiz and I highly recommend him and his group. I felt very taken care of. I was lucky that my sister and husband went with me.

I had major surgery - plastics and was so glad to have a helper.. Someone else is down there now all by herself and doing ok tho. Main difference is'that the hard stuff is just a little harder without a caring companion. I wouldn't let it stop you though. And yes my friend is looking into assisting medical tourists as she'loves caregiving. Even so I think you can do this yourself if you c ant afford to fly someone there with you.

I traveled alone to Tijuana to have my gastric sleeve surgery and I survived the experience. However, in retrospect I wish that I had had some one there to at least keep my family at home informed of my recovery and just pass the time with. On flying home following the procedure, may I suggest selecting a seat behind the wall that divides the cabin. You will have much more leg room to move your legs around during a long flight.

I traveled alone to Tijuana to have my gastric sleeve surgery and I survived the experience. However, in retrospect I wish that I had had some one there to at least keep my family at home informed of my recovery and just pass the time with. On flying home following the procedure, may I suggest selecting a seat behind the wall that divides the cabin. You will have much more leg room to move your legs around during a long flight.

Thanks for your response! Good advise about the airplane seating. I never would have thought of that.

Did you feel overwhelmed or confused dealing with the actual airport/travel/hotel during the process? I guess I am worried about being overwhelmed and in pain, high on pain med's, and trying to navigate a flight from San Diego back to Ohio.

I am the type of person who has to know and plan for every single thing that could possible happen before taking my first step. It's stupid, but whatever...it's how I am. I would even print out a map of the airport so I know which direction to turn immediately stepping off the plane. I am afraid that traveling such a long way, with so many unknowns, totally alone, AND immediately after a major surgery could produce enough anxiety in me to cause me to not go through with this.

Thanks for your response! Good advise about the airplane seating. I never would have thought of that.

Did you feel overwhelmed or confused dealing with the actual airport/travel/hotel during the process? I guess I am worried about being overwhelmed and in pain' date=' high on pain med's, and trying to navigate a flight from San Diego back to Ohio.

I am the type of person who has to know and plan for every single thing that could possible happen before taking my first step. It's stupid, but whatever...it's how I am. I would even print out a map of the airport so I know which direction to turn immediately stepping off the plane. I am afraid that traveling such a long way, with so many unknowns, totally alone, AND immediately after a major surgery could produce enough anxiety in me to cause me to not go through with this.[/quote']

Based on what you said, dont do this alone. travel logistics were fine for me but I am an experienced traveler. Post plastics I had wheelchair assistance which was great but at times confusing. I traveled home alone with 3 drains. I made sure the attendant and the guy sitting next to me (both flights) had a clue too. after plastics much more "disabled" then sleeve.

It can be done alone but I think you will feel better with help.

I had my surgery on 9/13 in TJ Mexico by Dr Fernando Garcia with Ready 4 a Change. I flew from St Louis to San Diego. I never traveled alone before but I had NO problems at all. I was actually happy that I went alone. It was time to myself and I didn't have to worry about keeping someone entertained. There was never a moment that I needed anyone's help for anything. The trip home was good too. My biggest problem was that I was freezing on the plane. A nice lady next to me put her sweater over my arms and I fell asleep. Good luck with your decision. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

I went alone and had no problems. They pick you up at the baggage claim and take care of you every step of the way until you're back at the airport. I had surgery on Friday (went there on Thursday) and came home Monday. Definitely not high on pain meds. I didn't need any pain meds after 2 days.Before I left, they gave me supradol which is like tylenol that dissolves easily since you can't handle pills yet. I think I took one at the airport while waiting for the flight, more as precaution than because I needed it. I had a carry-on only and had to ask someone to lift it up and down from the carrier. You don't need much, a carry-on was plenty. I was tired, but drove myself 20 minutes home and then I collapsed LOL. I went to work part-time Wednesday and was back full-time on Monday, 10 days out. I actually liked not having to feel like I had to entertain somebody. I could walk and talk to one of the other post-ops when I wanted to and go back and take a nap when I wanted to. Normally, I can't find my way out of a paper bag without a map, but I was determined to do it and I did. But you have to do what's most comfortable for you.

Did you feel overwhelmed or confused dealing with the actual airport/travel/hotel during the process? I guess I am worried about being overwhelmed and in pain' date=' high on pain med's, and trying to navigate a flight from San Diego back to Ohio.

I am the type of person who has to know and plan for every single thing that could possible happen before taking my first step. It's stupid, but whatever...it's how I am. I would even print out a map of the airport so I know which direction to turn immediately stepping off the plane. I am afraid that traveling such a long way, with so many unknowns, totally alone, AND immediately after a major surgery could produce enough anxiety in me to cause me to not go through with this.[/quote']

When are you hoping to have surgery? I am leaving Sunday for Mexico..Dr Alvarez With Endobariatric.com. Paying 8,700. Excluding airfare. I will let you know how it goes..also..I am like you..noneofmy friends know hey want support it.

Sorry iPad typos!!

I went alone, and I'm glad that I did. I liked being able to nap in the hospital and then at the hotel. I travel alone quite a bit, and I had no complications at all, so it was all smooth sailing for me. I was a little concerned about flying so soon after surgery. (I've always had a fear of having a DVT.) I just made sure to put on the compression socks that the hospital had given me, and all was well. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

I went to TJ Mexico alone. I hate hospital and any medical procedures so this was big deal for me. Luckily I met a great girl on

This board who went with her mother. They were both awesome and looked in on me. We hung out at hotel together.

It really is not a big deal. Luckily I was complication free. The only thing is when I needed to pack it was a little tough.

Good luck!