Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Lifting

I just recently joined 24 hr fitness and for now I'm only doing cardio. Eventually I would like to start weight training but I don't know the proper way to lift weights without gaining muscle on top of fat. Anyone have any ideas as to what reps I do? Thank you guys. You are all so helpful :o

Hi, not to worry you won't gain muscle on top of fat. In fact our muscle is underneath our fat, we just can't feel it sometimes. Weight training is an excellent way to increase your metabolism too. As you lose weight and gain muscle your body will start becoming more tone and firm. Most gyms offer at least one free session with a personal trainer. If available at your gym take advantage of it. It's worth it. Also try some magazines like Muscle & Fitness Hers or Oxygen, there are several good fitness magazines for women. Hope that helps!!!:girl_hug:

Christel

For women we are to use lower weight and higher reps. The sets and as many reps as possible is what I was told. I was training and was getting bulkier because my trainers had me doing high weight lower reps.

Definitely start slow and focus on good form rather then the amount of weight you are lifting. Hire a professional or take a class that focuses on weight lifting (like sculpting) so you get some proper instruction. At my fittest I weighed 135lbs and wore a size 4 - and I'm 5'2. I lifted almost daily - very heavy weights and never ever bulked up - I looked phenomenal - just strong and fit. Weight charts showed me overweight at that size and it was a joke - you can literally change your body shape/size through weight lifting. It all started for me when I read "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips - I did the contest 6 times and went from 225lbs and a size 24-26 to the weight and size I mentioned above.

A combination of cardio to burn fat and weight lifting to sculpt, tone and build muscle is best. Do not be scared of lifting weights - do it!

I hired a personal trainer its the best thing to do, because he/she will teach you different excercises plus you always have someone who will check if you do it right.Also my trainer is so positive and trust in me that she highered my motivation by 200%. You can always hire a trainer for 10 sessions just tell them up front, so they know they have to teach you all that stuff plust they will do training plan for you.Plus they give you some food tips. I was always scared of sugar, but she told me to eat something sweet for Breakfast cause it starts up the metaboism and during the day you burn more calories.It really works!!!

Hiring a trainer is definitely the best investment I have made in years:-)good luck to you!!

oh just my two cents, as Christel said some of the fat will transform into muscle and other will be used for energy.

I feel that my metabolism is much better, cause I was sick with flu and didnt excercise for two weeks and I not only didnt gain weight I also lost some!

You won't get bulkier unless you eat alot of calories, and I mean alot. It doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman.

Here is a website on women lifting(contains tons and tons of information for beginners and advanced lifters alike and free):

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

definitely go with free-weights and learn how to do all the movements; it is so much better than machines.

Also, more efficent/better working muscles boost calorie burning potential. With a little cardio mixed in on off days, there is a potential to lose some major poundage :)

Arcael, that website rocks! Thanks so much for posting it. Its got some great stretches and execrcises I can try for my patellofemoral syndrome!

You won't get bulkier unless you eat alot of calories, and I mean alot. It doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman.

Here is a website on women lifting(contains tons and tons of information for beginners and advanced lifters alike and free):

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

definitely go with free-weights and learn how to do all the movements; it is so much better than machines.

Also, more efficent/better working muscles boost calorie burning potential. With a little cardio mixed in on off days, there is a potential to lose some major poundage :D

Hey Chris! Thanks so much for your help! I'll check into it :)