Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long way out, but skin question

So I'm just starting this journey, and I'm glad to have made the decision to do it, but I figure the best place to ask about some skin issues in a group around my age, since most people I know that have done this are older.

As far as saggy skins goes, how bad was yours? They say that in our 20s, the skin should "snap" back more on it's own, and I know I'm going to have more than some others because of my high weight right now, but I'm just curious/nervous about how bad it might be, since I already know up front that insurance does not cover any help with it.

I, too, am wondering about this. Hoping that exercise, cocoa butter, good hydration, and a few other tricks will help minimize it. I met an older woman years ago who had bypass done and had almost no loose skin, despite starting at 350 pounds, so I guess it just varies.

I lost 85 lb when I was 15,and I did ok, I had stretch marks so bad ppl ask if I had a baby but they faded away till 10 years latter I really did have a baby and gained it all back , my belly was never flat but still looked great, my arms never looked like our 1st ladies but they looked fine, my legs ( I play softball) looked amazing bc I worked them out but still where mushy when I sat down, over all I say I was sexy, had no issue with how I looked and never had any neg comments. I think age was def in my favor, this time loseing I'm not sure how ill do, I'm 28 now.

I hear it depends on genetics, how long you were at your weight, etc. I'm already thinking mine will be pretty bad. I'm already in bad shape without losing weight with my "second stomach". Ick. But I don't care. Hopefully I can save up and have that taken care of when I lose the weight. Some insurance companies will cover the panus? if it is causing problems like rashes, etc.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I've lost some weight in the past, but nothing like I expect with this surgery, so it's something on my mind. I've been overweight my whole life, so I know and expect some skin to be there after, but I'm hoping with excersize after, it will help. And skin care, of course. My first and most important goal is to better my health by losing the weight, but I can't help but to think of some of these things that will happen because of the fast weight loss.

My insurance might cover panus, with skin issues/rashes, I think, but it has to be paired with other problems.

Although, I probably will be changing insurance next year, so that might change.

I was 26 when I had mind done and I carried most my weight in my stomach! I was 296 pounds when I had my surgery! As soon as I was cleared for work outs I stared core workouts because I was told that if you build up the muscle the skin attaches to it! I also started as soon as my wounds were healed palmers with extra elastin on my stomach twice a day! I have lost 120 pounds and I do have a little skin but my doctor assures me that if I keep working it will get there! The one other thing I have done is the It works body wraps! It has helps detoxify my skin and snaps back faster! I am very happy with all my results and my stomach which I never thought I would ever say!

I was 26 when I had mind done and I carried most my weight in my stomach! I was 296 pounds when I had my surgery! As soon as I was cleared for work outs I stared core workouts because I was told that if you build up the muscle the skin attaches to it! I also started as soon as my wounds were healed palmers with extra elastin on my stomach twice a day! I have lost 120 pounds and I do have a little skin but my doctor assures me that if I keep working it will get there! The one other thing I have done is the It works body wraps! It has helps detoxify my skin and snaps back faster! I am very happy with all my results and my stomach which I never thought I would ever say!

Yeah, I've already decided to start working out during my pre-pre-op diet. I don't know exactly where the surgeon want's to see me weight wise, but I'm looking at around 200ish pounds probably. I was thinking about trying to do wraps along the way some to help, that way even if I do have surgery later on for the skin, there won't be as much along the way to make me conscious.

I want to start off by saying congratulations on the new you! Ill be sleeved march 24th or 31st. I see you've been on your journey for a while and was wondering if you could help me after with the prevention of saggy skin. Did most of it go away now?

I want to start off by saying congratulations on the new you! Ill be sleeved march 24th or 31st. I see you've been on your journey for a while and was wondering if you could help me after with the prevention of saggy skin. Did most of it go away now?

Yes most of it has gone away! I have worked really hard! I did an ab workout 5 days a week in the morning starting after I was cleared to do it. I think the key piece was the It works wraps which helped shrink the skin molecules and tighten the skin. I have had great results because of my age! I still had a lot of elastin in my skin. I also used the lotion with Vitamin e coco butter on my stomach to help with stretch marks. Also I used maderma for the scars and you can't really see those either! Feel free to message me for any questions!!!

I am in the process and supposed to find out with in the next two weeks about my surgery date and becoming apart of this support system and reading what you all have to say, is EXTREMELY helpful and the support feels amazing.

Keep up the GREAT work everyone...I will hopefully, be soon to follow :)