Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do YOU do to break through a stall or plateau?

Just wondering what you all do whenever you experience a stall or plateau? Things that have worked to help you break through?

Just wondering what you all do whenever you experience a stall or plateau? Things that have worked to help you break through?

I hit the basics.

I may go low on calories and carbs for a couple of days and then right back to "regular" (for sleevers) eating.

broth based Soups, high Protein meals/shakes.

I up my calories by taking in more good fats (nuts, avacado, etc). Sounds strange but if I hit a stall, I up my calories and bam, stall broken.

I was thinking about that and wondering if upping my calories with "good" calories (not just a bunch of carbs) might help. I'm doing only about 400-450 cal./ day at this point (only 6 weeks out) and I was wondering if maybe a boost would help.

If you're genuinely stalled - three weeks or more at one weight - yes, hitting the basics is a good option, as is resuming tracking if you stopped for some reason. It's SO easy for people with a history of disordered eating to resume bad habits but slip into denial about their actual intake.

But quite frankly, stalls are just part of the process for almost everyone. And really - almost everyone - I can count on one hand the people I've seen here over four years that never stalled!

So the best thing to do during a stall is...wait it out. Once you know you're eating right and you're not in denial about your intake the very best thing to do is keep pushing forward, putting the scale away for a while if it's defeating you or causing negative feelings. I had two nine week stalls and took a whopping seventeen months to lose 107 pounds. We all lose differently - I saw a post just today where someone lost more than that in nine months!

So if you do find yourself in a stall (and you probably will) make sure you're on the right track and keep doing what you're doing. Minimal fiddling with your diet like increasing or decreasing calories for a week to see if it shakes things up is also a simple but not drastic move to make. I see people that absolutely panic at their first stall and cut things way down to 400 calories a day and practically starve themselves just so they can see the scale move. But that just damages our already screwed up metabolisms! We need consistency - we need to let our bodies adjust to the rapid loss and the big changes and to let it know food is still going to come and that this isn't a famine.

Good luck! Stalls happen. Find my friend coops on here. I think she stalled for more than a year one time, and without changing anything the scale finally started moving again and she's closing in on goal. There's no prize for finishing faster here, so just focus on good, solid habits that you can maintain for life.

~Cheri

If you're genuinely stalled - three weeks or more at one weight - yes, hitting the basics is a good option, as is resuming tracking if you stopped for some reason. It's SO easy for people with a history of disordered eating to resume bad habits but slip into denial about their actual intake.

But quite frankly, stalls are just part of the process for almost everyone. And really - almost everyone - I can count on one hand the people I've seen here over four years that never stalled!

So the best thing to do during a stall is...wait it out. Once you know you're eating right and you're not in denial about your intake the very best thing to do is keep pushing forward, putting the scale away for a while if it's defeating you or causing negative feelings. I had two nine week stalls and took a whopping seventeen months to lose 107 pounds. We all lose differently - I saw a post just today where someone lost more than that in nine months!

So if you do find yourself in a stall (and you probably will) make sure you're on the right track and keep doing what you're doing. Minimal fiddling with your diet like increasing or decreasing calories for a week to see if it shakes things up is also a simple but not drastic move to make. I see people that absolutely panic at their first stall and cut things way down to 400 calories a day and practically starve themselves just so they can see the scale move. But that just damages our already screwed up metabolisms! We need consistency - we need to let our bodies adjust to the rapid loss and the big changes and to let it know food is still going to come and that this isn't a famine.

Good luck! Stalls happen. Find my friend coops on here. I think she stalled for more than a year one time, and without changing anything the scale finally started moving again and she's closing in on goal. There's no prize for finishing faster here, so just focus on good, solid habits that you can maintain for life.

~Cheri

Thanks Cheri - that makes sense..... I don't really get too upset to not see the scale move, as I know, like you said it will eventually work out. Just trying to see what others have experienced.

I was thinking about that and wondering if upping my calories with "good" calories (not just a bunch of carbs) might help. I'm doing only about 400-450 cal./ day at this point (only 6 weeks out) and I was wondering if maybe a boost would help.

At 6 weeks I wasnt taking in much more than you do. As time goes on youll be able to get more calories in. But everytime Ive stalled, I up my calories and it breaks. Thats what works for me. Unless you are already on a bad path with things you shouldnt be eating of course like sugar or bad carbs then of course try going back to basics. Ive stayed on plan pretty much this entire time and especially in the beginning so even though I eating clean I needed to up my calories and my body responded almost immediately. Within days.

I was on 2 week stall. 4weeks out...Broke last wed...lost a pound everyday since...

How did you break thru your weight loss stall? I'm almost 4 weeks postop and having lost anything since last Thursday. I am stuck at 249 and change. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to break thru stall. Any advice would be helpful.

All I did was eat normal foods...I am just over four week...dropping one pound a day now for a week...I even at a cupcake twice this week. I have been weighing everyday this week. Down 2 lbs just this am...kinda freeky....was stuck for two weeks then bam....dropping like flies. Down 9 pounds since last wed.

All I did was eat normal foods...I am just over four week...dropping one pound a day now for a week...I even at a cupcake twice this week. I have been weighing everyday this week. Down 2 lbs just this am...kinda freeky....was stuck for two weeks then bam....dropping like flies. Down 9 pounds since last wed.

This makes me feel much better. I am 3 weeks post op and have been in a stall for a week and a half. I finally lost 2 lbs and then was back up 1 lb. I am just trying to stay positive and keep doing what I am doing. I know a stall is common at this time but it still sucks while you are in it! Just makes me feel like maybe I can't lose weight even with surgery! >_<

I hear ya. As soon as I started loosing my appetite die....so IM adding a few.carbs....cracker with kipper snacks...seemed to have helped but really dropping right now. My diet has no Protein Shakes, have to eat normally eventually. My kidneys are not liking all the water..doesn't move through me very well so I cut that back....IM 54 and I know the high Protein is hard on you...so it meats, little veggies, slight carbs for energy for now. Tomato Soup for savory but right now nothing sounds appealing...thank goodness lol...you would drop...for sure!!!