Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On the fence for surgery...

Guys' date=' this perspective is super helpful. As I read your responses, it's sort of eye opening to me that my biggest concern is that people will think I'm eating too little. That's probably a topic for the shrink. My date's been set for November 25, so I'm just making sure I'm not crazy.

Did you guys experience any complications post opp?

Any negative / positive surprises so far?[/quote']

Family guy

I was 60 years old. 5'10". 41 bmi, high blood pressure, cholesterol, sleep apnea, Pre diabetic.

Been yo yo dieting for 30 years. Could not do every thing I wanted to do.

I hated photos of my self.

Decided last November to go for it. Started Jan 1. My insurance required a 6 month program. It took 2 months to get into it. I was sleeved 10/3.

My complication was the shock of surgery kicked my heart in to A-fib. The hospital moved me to the cardiac wing and took 4 days to get it under control with meds. I am 4 weeks out. Doing well. Just met with cardiologist. He said I'm young and healthy. Continuing on meds.

The plan is: I am having a para- thyroid with a growth on it removed on 11/12. A month later they will give my heart a shock to get me out of A-fib.

I hope it works.

If not I'll live with a 1% risk of stroke.

On the weight side. I am 55 pounds down. 45 more to go. I will be a healthier person 100 pounds lighter.

I feel great already. The doc says I'll feel 10 years younger when the parathyroid growth comes out.

Looking forward to feeling 30 again!

Family guy

I was 60 years old. 5'10". 41 bmi, high blood pressure, cholesterol, sleep apnea, Pre diabetic.

Been yo yo dieting for 30 years. Could not do every thing I wanted to do.

I hated photos of my self.

Decided last November to go for it. Started Jan 1. My insurance required a 6 month program. It took 2 months to get into it. I was sleeved 10/3.

My complication was the shock of surgery kicked my heart in to A-fib. The hospital moved me to the cardiac wing and took 4 days to get it under control with meds. I am 4 weeks out. Doing well. Just met with cardiologist. He said I'm young and healthy. Continuing on meds.

The plan is: I am having a para- thyroid with a growth on it removed on 11/12. A month later they will give my heart a shock to get me out of A-fib.

I hope it works.

If not I'll live with a 1% risk of stroke.

On the weight side. I am 55 pounds down. 45 more to go. I will be a healthier person 100 pounds lighter.

I feel great already. The doc says I'll feel 10 years younger when the parathyroid growth comes out.

Looking forward to feeling 30 again!

When it comes to virtually all health issues, thinner is better. I'm sure your heart will be happier pumping blood through a body with a 100 pounds less mass.

Good luck with the thyroid surgery and the a-fib treatment!

Im 40, BMI of 43 at 5'9 tall. I think that the most I have to lose is 100-110 pounds.

My first consultation is tomorrow. My worry isn't that I will lose too much, but will lose who I am. I have always been the funny fat guy.

I cant imagine what I would look like if I lose 120-130 pounds.

Im 40, BMI of 43 at 5'9 tall. I think that the most I have to lose is 100-110 pounds.

My first consultation is tomorrow. My worry isn't that I will lose too much, but will lose who I am. I have always been the funny fat guy.

I cant imagine what I would look like if I lose 120-130 pounds.

I can completely relate -- I've always been the funny fat guy too. People love to have me go out eating and drinking with them. I'm sort of worried about losing who I am as well. But on the other hand, I figure I'll just be the same guy eating and drinking a lot less. And we both know, that behind the scenes, the cost of being the fat guy (especially as the years pass) is pretty high. My surgery's scheduled for the 25th and I go in for my final consent signing tomorrow....

Gentlemen

I too AM the guy you want to roll with.

I had my my 4 week follow up today... They asked If I was depressed.

I said hell no I'm the happiest guy there is.

Being the big party guy is a big part of my persona. I ' m down almost 60 pounds.

( 40 more to go)

( jack sh*t NO body notices the first 50). I feel 20 years younger. And I KNOW I AM MORE HEALTHY.

A friend told me that because I look normal, like I am supposed to, like I used to.

I am still party central.

I show up with a virgin Mary in my hand and dance.... I lay off the food.. I say I already ate.

Or I bring food I can eat. ( bringing ground turkey holiday loaf on Saturday)

It will be delicious, on MY plan and I'll look like a hero.

It's all about YOUR HEALTH. your image will live on.

Im 40' date=' BMI of 43 at 5'9 tall. I think that the most I have to lose is 100-110 pounds.

I cant imagine what I would look like if I lose 120-130 pounds.[/quote']

I am down 60 pounds. A few weeks ago I COULD NOT even dream that.

I am amazed when I look in the mirror. It is truly a miracle. I now see a cleft in my chin I forgot I had.

I NOW CAN look forward to losing 40 more pounds.

I will still be the party guy, but I will also be the skier I once was. And A receiver at the annual family touch football game, rather than the center or lineman who can't run.

I am secretly working on my down field

Sprint and verticle leap.

BTW the 25 th is my birthday. Good luck , ill check in with you the day after.

I had my final pre op checking yesterday. I Met directly with the surgeon and drilled him with every question in the book. Liked all his answers. I'm "a go" for Nov 25 and am currently on the preop diet, which is basically hardcore Adkins until the day before which is Clear Liquids. Seems pretty easy.

My best friend dumped me because we have different "Core Values". It is not easy to drink for a few days, it is not easy to eat and I do not enjoy eating at all. Actually I dread it and I am sick of Protein drinks.

Today is 3 weeks post op. I do not regret the surgery as I was unable to loose weight and keep it off before. I wish I could have. Everyone who has had this says it gets easier to eat and eventually you are able to eat a human size portion. That is not an entire pizza like before.

I've been approved for the surgery but am having some second thoughts -- is this too drastic? Will I become a social outcast for only eating two bites of food at lunches and dinners (I have a busy social life)? What about all the complications?

Was wondering if any of you other guys had similar situations -- weight wasn't life threatening (but definitely and issue) and decided to go ahead with the surgery?

That is me... My weight was never an issue, but the last couple years, 43-45 of age, I could feel it affecting me differently. I used to carry it fine and my body didn't care. Then my BP started to creep up and I started to feel different.

This is drastic for sure, it is permanent and it forces you to make a life change. Sometimes that life change is not fun. Right now, 3 weeks out) I can eat 2oz of meat and that is it. I heard it gets better and I cant wait for that because I want to eat a normal meal without feeling full. I am talking about literally full.

If you want to be healthy and you cannot do it on a diet, this solution works, but you pay the price. I have gone to eat with a group of people that do not know I did this and it was fine. They didn't notice. It really is about hanging out right? My wife and I split something or I get a Soup and say, "I'm not very hungry" I can eat an entire bowl of Soup with no problems. I went to lunch yesterday with a friend that I did not tell about the surgery and ordered a bowl of soup. I ate the entire thing with no issue, but I could not do that with a piece of meat.< /p>

the surgery was a piece of cake. The day of was rough, but the next day I went to my son's football game came home and slept. by Monday I was rockn except I would get tired in the afternoon. I still do sometimes.

The-Russ, so glad your surgery went well. I'm really hoping for a smooth recovery.

I'm similar to you in that I've always "worn my weight" pretty well and people would be genuinely surprised if I told them what I really weighed (260). But I'm turning 40 this year and it's really starting to catch up with me -- cholesterol is getting high, blood pressure is creeping up, etc. I've stopped doing stuff that I used to do like skiing or hiking because it's just too hard slamming my knees with 260 lbs. Lastly, I'm pretty much topped out of shopping at regular clothing stores -- my waist is 42 and a lot of places stop at 40 or even 38. So, even though I don't outwardly look like it need a weight intervention, I know that something needs to change and I don't want to waste another 10 years thinking about it.

The-Russ, so glad your surgery went well. I'm really hoping for a smooth recovery. <br><br> I'm similar to you in that I've always "worn my weight" pretty well and people would be genuinely surprised if I told them what I really weighed (260). But I'm turning 40 this year and it's really starting to catch up with me -- cholesterol is getting high, blood pressure is creeping up, etc. I've stopped doing stuff that I used to do like skiing or hiking because it's just too hard slamming my knees with 260 lbs. Lastly, I'm pretty much topped out of shopping at regular clothing stores -- my waist is 42 and a lot of places stop at 40 or even 38. So, even though I don't outwardly look like it need a weight intervention, I know that something needs to change and I don't want to waste another 10 years thinking about it.

Yep... I understand everything you are saying. I am starting to get all the things I like back being on the other side of the knife. Maybe this summer I will waterski again. I was 292-296 the week before surgery (10/28, 3 weeks yesterday). Today I am 265.

Dieting before surgery, you try not to eat and are hungry. After surgery you force yourself to eat. I'm never hungry and eat 400-700 calories a day. It is very difficult to eat that much and impossible to eat more (I only eat 3x a day). I hear it gets easier and next week I can start eating nuts so that will help boost calories and Protein by implementing Snacks into my diet. People say on here at month 6-7 I should be able to eat 4oz of meat and 2oz of veggies. I can't wait. That sounds like a normal, human sized, meal.

My dr said last week I could drink wine. I used to drink 3+ Glasses, but now it goes down much slower and I can only drink 1 glass. However my stomach is still healing. Hopefully I'll be able to drink again one day.

<p>My best friend dumped me because we have different "Core Values". It is not easy to drink for a few days, it is not easy to eat and I do not enjoy eating at all. Actually I dread it and I am sick of Protein drinks.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Today is 3 weeks post op. I do not regret the surgery as I was unable to loose weight and keep it off before. I wish I could have. Everyone who has had this says it gets easier to eat and eventually you are able to eat a human size portion. That is not an entire pizza like before.<br><br>

</p>

Congratulations Russ.

I am 5.5 weeks post op.

Almost off all shakes. Just Proteins. Still losing 3-5 pounds /week. A dream come true.

It gets easier. I do sometimes eat too fast. It hurts. So I ave to slow down.

I love my new life!

Great topic Guys, love the commentary! I started my journey six months ago and I am looking forward to "gettin on with it". I finished all the requirements and have an appointment with the surgeon on Tuesday. I hope we can set a date for December

In my case the decision was easy. The older I get, the more difficult it is to lose weight and deal with the problems that come with it. The bad back, joint stiffness, shortness of breath and high blood pressure all add up to issues that will only get worse as the weight stays on

The last six months have helped me understand proper nutrition, exercise and the commitment needed to follow through on my wls decision. Along the way I have lost 35 pounds and lowered my BMI rom 45.2 to 41. It gives me great hope for what is possible in the future

Over the fence now -- I was sleeved yesterday. Doctor said it went well and that I was a relatively easy case. Definitely experienced some pain last night and today. Meds are helping. Trying to get Water and a little Protein shake in, but it's easier said than done. I'm looking forward to getting past the first few days...

It sounds like we are pretty similar. I'm 30, 6' 270lbs. At the beginning of 2013 I weight 275 and decided I was making a life change. I decided I was tired of struggling and wanted to pursue surgery. My doctor and a few relatives changed my mind, and I went on a really intense, miserable Medifast diet that later transitioned into a low carb type diet. I lost 45lbs and felt great! I didn't lose all of the excess weight but it was a good chunk.

Then in October I went to Florida. In two weeks time I gained 20lbs. How is that even possible???!? That really made me mad and I have now gained more. I'm back up to my weight when I first started. I put considerable effort into changing my health and failed.

I decided this time I'm making the decision for myself and I don't care what others think. I've dealt with it my whole life and I'm the only one that can take action to improve my health. What helped me was to look at the pros and cons. There are huge pros and huge cons, but for me the good will far outweigh the bad if it can help me get healthy again.