Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doubts: sleeve necessary?

I still have about 6 months before my surgery, but the more I learn the more it seems that the biggest part of weight loss post-sleeve is being aware of what you're eating, making good decisions, Portion Control, etc....which for me begs the question, how much of this weight loss is because of the sleeve, and how much is just "following the rules" and doing it the old fashioned way? I'm not doubting the tool's effectiveness, I guess I'm just wondering how necessary is it if the objective is to be counting and measuring and limiting for the rest of my life regardless? I still want to do it, just trying to get some first hand feedback....

Very well put and a really good question. This is definitely something I have been struggling with as well. I was originally supposed to have my vsg October 5th but had to cancel at the last minute. But now I am in the process of figuring another date for my surgery and I have had this exact question rattling around my brain too. I don't know the answer - but here is what I know about myself. I have tried every possible weight loss idea out there. I had tremendous success with Nutrisystem - I lost sixty pounds and was working out and looking fit - but here I am now almost back to my highest weight again.

At the end of the day, NOTHING has worked long term - and surgery is most definitely a last resort for me.

Hi I believe its is both, I have to do a 6 month weight management as well, and I am now on Month four. And with exercise and eating properly I have begun to loose weight. I do believe that although this is a tool the tool is only as good as the user, if you do not take responsibility of your eating and what you are eating as well as maintain exercise that you will gain the weight back. Because I had no idea of just how many calories that I was consuming in a day and by using myfitnesspal it has allowed me to become aware of what I am eating as well as how much, and why. Good look on your journal.

I think the sleeve is a tool and not a method...

In order for me to lose weight, I have to restrict A LOT and exercise A LOT. It's not that I'm not willing to put in the work, the amount of work I have to do is not sustainable over a very long period of time - the amount of time I would need to lose the excess weight.

This tool is going to help me restrict without feeling deprived as with past diets. This tool is going to give me that jump start that I need to recognize success, be more positive and confident, and begin living a healthier lifestyle.

Since your surgery is 6 months out, you have lots of time to prepare and think. Practice eating smaller meals. Practice chewing, chewing and chewing some more. Work on upping your Protein and cutting back on carbs. Start exercising - even a walk around the block is a good start. I had about 3 months from decision to get the sleeve to the surgery date (2.5 weeks from now) - I can see and feel a difference in myself. Not from the weight loss perspective (I have lost 10 pounds), but my body feels different. I've cut out bread and refined sugars from my diet entirely, I have cut out caffeine, and I have started to exercise daily. My attitude has changed as well - I am happier, more at peace...I haven't had that in about 20 years. I feel better physically. I don't feel as fatigued. That is all prior to me getting the surgery - I am excited to see how good I feel post-op.

I wish you luck in your journey! You will know when you have made the decision that is best for you.

Well for me it has worked because I needed something to help me lose and help me keep it off. I could regain the weight I have lost but it would be a lot of work because of the size of my stomach. I had pre type II and other pills that went along with it. I was on 6 different one. Now I am on 2 and hope to get rid of those by the end of the year. The surgery was my last resort but I needed something to keep me in track. I will be the big 50 in January and did not want to die from what I call stupid. I have control over what goes into me but I have lost weight and regained it more times then I can count. I have a special needs son and I can't die right now. His father has not been here in 7 years . And my other children are not here just to take care of him. I am at the weight I was when I got married and had my first child 21 years ago! I haven't seen this face in that long a time and guess what I missed it! I had second thoughts up until they were putting the mask on me in the OR. But thank god I went through the door! You will be too.