Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone, I really need some advice. I got my sleeve on May4,2012. I was at 235 I now weigh 124 and still losing. I am unable to eat Protein and throw up all the time. I have had several upper GI's and a endoscopy done. They found out that the muscle at the bottom of my stomach is to loose and usually they would use the excessive stomach to wrap around it but beings I don't have that they are not able to do that. The gastro doctor told my husband that the body is going to get rid of the food the fastest route which for me is throwing up. He said that I have the option of going to a bypass which would bypass the first part of my intestines. NO WAY...I was in the hospital 3 different times in May 2012 and it has been a constant struggle and fight. I look like a walking skeleton. Anyone have an suggestion to help me or had the same kind of problems. I do drink Muscle Milk in the morning. I make it with whole milk add a banana, and also greek yogurt for extra calories. I try to eat m&m which usually stay down pretty easy. I keep them in the fridge and grab a handful several times a day. I can not go out to eat due to the fact I have to throw up all the time and I feel like people are staring at me like "look at that skinny woman running to the bathroom again" like I have bulimia or anorexia or something. I went to my nieces wedding 2 weeks ago and it was outside and I took my food to my car and ate out there. It is so horrible. Can anyone help me????? please

Donor stomach to use? Plenty of people on here getting sleeved that having a stomach donated in your blood type wouldn't be to hard to find. You can keep down liquids tho? Start drinking weight gainer shakes. 5 a day!!! Get your calories up to 2000 with those. Sip them all day so your stomach doesn't notice as much and keep the air out (no blender) just shake and drink.

I don't want a donor stomach though some days it sure would be nice...lol...any suggestions on the type of weight gainer shakes? I guess those are different than Protein Drinks?

Getting ready to google it. Most everything I see is just plain Protein drinks.< /p>

wow I'm so sorry that you have had such a terrible time! I really hope you find a sustainable solution. While I don't have any answers, I would consult with a few of the best bariatric surgeons I could find and get a few opinions on what to do next. Good luck

Drink ensure. its full of calories.

Bottom line if you can't keep food down your going to have to go bypass mod and load in the calories after. You can do this but you can't live with throwing up all the time. They might be able to do a bypass modification where they don't remove as much stomach as normal and reroute it higher. I know if I was as concerned as you are I would go for it. Just because you have a bypass does not mean you can't consume load of calories to up your weight after. Lots gain weight after bypass... Drinking a liquid diet for the rest of your years is not an option either, you would be in the same situation as now and that really isn't an option.

Truth is, if you can't keep food down, doesn't matter what you ingest.

You can't keep throwing up though and your doc says its the way its going to continue. It ruins more than your weight and you don't want to get to the point of no return... losing muscle mass and end up frail, your teeth pay huge price, your esophagus, not to mention continued weight loss. I hate the thought of having it done too but if it was to save my life... and this could be a situation where you are in that situation if it continues, I would. Lots have had the modification and do just fine. You will too!

Your going to be just fine, don't let the quality of your life be overrun by fear. You will take the right steps to get this fixed. You just need to get to where you can keep food down and then up the calories big time. You can do this.

One of the problems that we can face with a procedure that is relatively new, like the sleeve, is that when problems occur, the natural instinct of most docs is to go back to what they know best, getting into their comfort zone, which in this case is the bypass. It may well fix your problem but it is a radical approach to something that may have a simpler solution to those with more experience in the procedure that you have had - the sleeve. Likewise, most gastro docs are going to mostly be experienced with solving problems with bypass and band patients simply because they are the most numerous of WLS patients.

Try to find a surgeon experienced with the duodenal switch (DS), which is a WLS combining the sleeve with intestinal rerouting. Most of these guys have been doing sleeves for 10-20 years or more, so they are likely to have come across complications similar to yours and may have techniques that they can use that are less invasive than a revision to a bypass.

A good place to start is at

http://www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeons.html#.UmvoWFP5mpo

My wife has a DS, which thankfully has been without major complications, but over the past ten years we have learned that those in the DS world have to stand up for their specific needs in what is essentially a bypass dominated medical world. Those of us with the sleeve have to do likewise until the sleeve becomes the dominant WLS procedure (it's getting there!) and more of the medical world caters to our needs rather than forcing us to adapt to solutions created for a different population.

Good luck in finding a solution other than just chopping out the rest of your stomach.

I just have a question for the OP: If you know that you can drink Protein drinks and keep them down why have you not been doing so? How are M&M's nutritional when a Protein Drink loaded with Vitamins and protein will help you to get your calories in for the day. Until you can get a resolve to this awful situation, keep your weight stable is of utmost importance so as not to affect your health. Sounds like you have two choices: get the bypass or vomit the rest of your life, sounds like a no brainer to me.

What does the doctor advise? I know, the surgery, but how about eating styles? Meds? Bio feedback to slow the vomit reflex? Was this caused by the operation? If the pylorus is lose, it seems like it would let the contents of the stomach empty faster than vomiting... how about cream Soups, eating slower, purees again....best of luck....

Hello everyone' date=' I really need some advice. I got my sleeve on May4,2012. I was at 235 I now weigh 124 and still losing. I am unable to eat Protein and throw up all the time. I have had several upper GI's and a endoscopy done. They found out that the muscle at the bottom of my stomach is to loose and usually they would use the excessive stomach to wrap around it but beings I don't have that they are not able to do that. The gastro doctor told my husband that the body is going to get rid of the food the fastest route which for me is throwing up. He said that I have the option of going to a bypass which would bypass the first part of my intestines. NO WAY...I was in the hospital 3 different times in May 2012 and it has been a constant struggle and fight. I look like a walking skeleton. Anyone have an suggestion to help me or had the same kind of problems. I do drink Muscle Milk in the morning. I make it with whole milk add a banana, and also greek yogurt for extra calories. I try to eat m&m which usually stay down pretty easy. I keep them in the fridge and grab a handful several times a day. I can not go out to eat due to the fact I have to throw up all the time and I feel like people are staring at me like "look at that skinny woman running to the bathroom again" like I have bulimia or anorexia or something. I went to my nieces wedding 2 weeks ago and it was outside and I took my food to my car and ate out there. It is so horrible. Can anyone help me????? please[/quote']

I so sorry you are having these problems. It's so scary too since you were doing so great at the beginning. Was your surgery in the US? Did they sleeve your stomach too small? I am praying for you

Went and saw my bariatric surgeon last week he said that he feels the gastric bypass is what I need. He was telling me also that I have a pouch that has formed I guess at the top of my sleeve. I don't know. I am still constantly throwing up. I do drink my Protein drinks. I have gotten them up to about 1200 calories for a 16 oz drink. I have been using 1/2 and 1/2 with the banana and greek yogurt. I just am not ready to have another major surgery done on my body : ( I have to go in December to have another barium swallow. I asked the surgeon to please give me a couple of months to be able to drink these high calorie protein drink and see if I can put on a little weight. I just feel like my body is to fragile and not only that I am terrified to go through another surgery. I really thought I was going to die after the sleeve. I had surgery 18 months ago and not one day has gone by that I have not thrown up. Please keep me in prayers that we will be able to find a solution for my problems.....

I will definitely pray for you and wish you the best outcome possible!! :)

Went and saw my bariatric surgeon last week he said that he feels the gastric bypass is what I need. He was telling me also that I have a pouch that has formed I guess at the top of my sleeve. I don't know. I am still constantly throwing up. I do drink my Protein drinks. I have gotten them up to about 1200 calories for a 16 oz drink. I have been using 1/2 and 1/2 with the banana and greek yogurt. I just am not ready to have another major surgery done on my body : ( I have to go in December to have another barium swallow. I asked the surgeon to please give me a couple of months to be able to drink these high calorie protein drink and see if I can put on a little weight. I just feel like my body is to fragile and not only that I am terrified to go through another surgery. I really thought I was going to die after the sleeve. I had surgery 18 months ago and not one day has gone by that I have not thrown up. Please keep me in prayers that we will be able to find a solution for my problems.....

Unfortunately I don't have any answers I can only sent good vibes and healing light to you. I hope you troubles are over soon and you are on the mend. Give Hospital strength ensure a go it is for patients that can't eat or hospital strength sustegan. Good luck

I agree, try to get stronger and see if you can gain weight. Can you get a second opinion?

i am in a very similar boat. I was actually doing good for awhile but at about 15 months out I started vomiting, a LOT. I have major GERD, but the vomiting is due to something else. Still trying to figure it out. I throw up anywhere from 5-20 times a day, it's pretty gross. The weird thing for me is this is about 7 out of 10 days. Every once in awhile I have a good day and can eat and digest normally. No rhyme or reason that I've found. I feel for you and also have huge concerns about losing more weight and a revision surgery. Scary. Please keep us posted.

i am in a very similar boat. I was actually doing good for awhile but at about 15 months out I started vomiting, a LOT. I have major GERD, but the vomiting is due to something else. Still trying to figure it out. I throw up anywhere from 5-20 times a day, it's pretty gross. The weird thing for me is this is about 7 out of 10 days. Every once in awhile I have a good day and can eat and digest normally. No rhyme or reason that I've found. I feel for you and also have huge concerns about losing more weight and a revision surgery. Scary. Please keep us posted.