Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I Buy a Vitamix?

I'm pre-op but submitted to insurance one week ago and trying to prepare for surgery and beyond.

I was thinking that a vitamix might be helpful during my mushy food stage as our blender is bad. Not sure if that is overkill given the tiny amounts of food ill be consuming.

What do you think?

Of you have 500 dollars to spare, I'd say go for it... But if you don't use a blender much and are not planning on doing so after the purée stage? I wouldn't. I just bought a cheep magic bullet for that stage and it worked fine... Was even able to puree chicken and gravy I just had to shake it a bit while mixing. Now it sits unused unless I make my son a smoothie :)

Edited by laura-ven

Probably won't need it if that's all you plan on using it for.

I didn't really need a blender on any of my food stages.

I do have a VItamix though and do really like it!

I hardly use my blender at 10 months post-op. I bought a $40 food processor at Wal-Mart a few years ago and it did the job for me.

You blend such small amounts a bullet type blender w/ the small cups will work better.

allons-y

My only reason for considering a Vitamix is that my surgeon's instructions for the mushy stage (for 3 -6 weeks after liquid stage) indicates that I should puree all my food. The blender I have now is lousy, but I do have an immersion hand-held blender. Just not sure if that would puree or end up leaving chunks.

I don't mind spending the money on the Vitamix if it's something that makes my mushy stage easier to deal with.

My only reason for considering a Vitamix is that my surgeon's instructions for the mushy stage (for 3 -6 weeks after liquid stage) indicates that I should puree all my food. The blender I have now is lousy' date=' but I do have an immersion hand-held blender. Just not sure if that would puree or end up leaving chunks. I don't mind spending the money on the Vitamix if it's something that makes my mushy stage easier to deal with.[/quote'] I bought a ninja at Walmart. It works perfectly for the purée stage, and it didn't cost 500.

Edited by SuNMooNStaRS816

The vitamix is an awesome machine. It will liquify anything. But it's not really necessary. That being said, I still use mine all the time to make green shakes, mainly because I will not eat enough veggies otherwise.

I worry about getting in enough nutrients and Fiber, so I'm getting a Blendtec to help with that. I can easily have a green smoothie on the daily and feel good about it.

I worry about getting in enough nutrients and fiber' date=' so I'm getting a Blendtec to help with that. I can easily have a green smoothie on the daily and feel good about it.[/quote']

The Blendtec Is supposed to be very good and about the same price as vitamix.

I worry about getting all of my nutrients, both now and after surgery, so I'm leaning toward getting the vitamix.

I love my vitamix. I agree it is rather expensive but the things you can do with it. I love the fact that you can make Soup as well as many other things.

Edited by Cocodrea

The Blendtec Is supposed to be very good and about the same price as vitamix.

I worry about getting all of my nutrients' date=' both now and after surgery, so I'm leaning toward getting the vitamix.[/quote']

Yes it is, only $100 cheaper!

Sent from my iPad using VST

Does Soups and all too!

Sent from my iPad using VST

My friend has a nutri-bullet and swears by it. She got it from kohls for like $99 on sale. I was thinking about getting one to keep at work so I can make smoothies and shakes there and use my vitamix at home. JAT

BTW I hate auto correct. lol