Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Men vs Women

Thanks Georgia for the article.

It really is true, my also-sleeved-husband can definitely eat more calories than I can and seems to effortlessly maintain his loss while I'm furiously counting calories, weighing/measuring my food so I can log it in my calorie counter, etc. I also work out MORE than he does because he will often have to skip a workout due to his job/workload.

But I long ago quit comparing our losses and know that it will *always* be more of a struggle for me than it ever will be for him. I'm just happy we are both healthier. ;)

Thanks Georgia for the article. It really is true' date=' my also-sleeved-husband can definitely eat more calories than I can and seems to effortlessly maintain his loss while I'm furiously counting calories, weighing/measuring my food so I can log it in my calorie counter, etc. I also work out MORE than he does because he will often have to skip a workout due to his job/workload. But I long ago quit comparing our losses and know that it will *always* be more of a struggle for me than it ever will be for him. I'm just happy we are both healthier. ;)[/quote']

That's so true, M2G. My husband has always been thin, oh a few pounds of a little paunch now and then but just a few days of not snacking and it falls off. He developed type 2 diabetes several years ago which, of course, is not weight related. We think agent orange related ( Viet Nam) since his family doesn't seem to have it. He is a carb addict! Lol. I find it so funny to watch him try eating healthy because he THINKS he is doing it but sits down and eats a box of triscuits and a half a pound of cheese! Lol. Doesn't/won't consider the carbs that turn to sugar. :). Or that "no sugar added" or "sugar free" really has sugar!!

my surgeon told me that many men can lose excess weight by basically giving up beer and chips (this is NOT the case for all and I don't mean this as a dig at the many very successful male sleevers as they have worked hard to transform themselves too) BUT for most women, especially over 40, especially especially post menopausal - wow, its just really really hard.

This is one of the reasons I focus so much on fitness and muscle mass because although exercise does not burn that many calories, it sure does change the way the body metabolizes and helps a little with increasing the day to day burn rate so to speak.

my surgeon told me that many men can lose excess weight by basically giving up beer and chips (this is NOT the case for all and I don't mean this as a dig at the many very successful male sleevers as they have worked hard to transform themselves too) BUT for most women, especially over 40, especially especially post menopausal - wow, its just really really hard.

This is one of the reasons I focus so much on fitness and muscle mass because although exercise does not burn that many calories, it sure does change the way the body metabolizes and helps a little with increasing the day to day burn rate so to speak.

Good point about fitness and muscle mass. I agree 100%. Along with liking the way it makes me feel, this is the main reason fitness is important to me.

my surgeon told me that many men can lose excess weight by basically giving up beer and chips (this is NOT the case for all and I don't mean this as a dig at the many very successful male sleevers as they have worked hard to transform themselves too) BUT for most women' date=' especially over 40, especially especially post menopausal - wow, its just really really hard. This is one of the reasons I focus so much on fitness and muscle mass because although exercise does not burn that many calories, it sure does change the way the body metabolizes and helps a little with increasing the day to day burn rate so to speak.[/quote']

Very true! And my daughter, the Nurse, to me one day as I reclined on the couch AGAIN a few months ago, "Mom, you know statistically what your lifestyle is now shows that in your 60-70s you will be MUCH LESS MOBILE, right?" Like housebound? Wake up call! So yes, got to build some muscle mass.

Thats one of the reasons I started taking dance class, then got the sleeve... I could just see myself in a wheelchair or Lark! I just had too much life to still live to do that before my time! I also like exercise because it changes the way your body looks... like you say, not that many calories, but better lines and feel better generally.

Good article and another reason we all should stop overly comparing our weight loss to someone else. Way too many variables involved such as male vs female, low BMIer vs high BMIer, someone in their 20's vs someone in their 60's, etc. So it makes little sense to compare weight loss with another.....especially if you're a woman in her 60's with a low BMI comparing to a 25 year old guy who was a high BMI'er. :huh:

I can relate to the part where many guys are linear thinkers and see it as a task or to do list.....

Good article and another reason we all should stop overly comparing our weight loss to someone else. Way too many variables involved such as male vs female' date=' low BMIer vs high BMIer, someone in their 20's vs someone in their 60's, etc. So it makes little sense to compare weight loss with another.....especially if you're a woman in her 60's with a low BMI comparing to a 25 year old guy who was a high BMI'er. :huh: I can relate to the part where many guys are linear thinkers and see it as a task or to do list.....[/quote'] So agree with you! We are always trying to get to another level/weight that somebody else got to.

Edited by Georgia

This is one of the reasons that I do strength training even though I hate every blessed minute of it. Sometimes I can hear my trainer at the gym in my sleep saying ... come on you can do 2 more reps.... ugh!!

I love strength training. It's cardio I hate. I need to go somewhere and get a bunch of magazines. It goes faster if I have a magazine.

I wish I could afford a trainer all the time.

I was told that those who read or watch tv while doing cardio machines might as well be sitting on the couch, you unwittingly keep your heart rate lower by multitasking like that and aren't reaping any benefits.

My ex-bf and I are doing a challenge right now, we gave ourselves 30 days and whomever loses the most weight in that time gets $50 worth of whatever they want. He is a male in his early 20's so I got him to agree to giving me a 7 pound lead, to make up for his unfair advantange! :P

I was told that those who read or watch tv while doing cardio machines might as well be sitting on the couch' date=' you unwittingly keep your heart rate lower by multitasking like that and aren't reaping any benefits. My ex-bf and I are doing a challenge right now, we gave ourselves 30 days and whomever loses the most weight in that time gets 50 worth of whatever they want. He is a male in his early 20's so I got him to agree to giving me a 7 pound lead, to make up for his unfair advantange! :P[/quote']

Well, as for me doing my recumbent bike while watching an hour or hour and half of TV, I know I am sweating profusely and push myself to do "blasts" of intense hard peddling along with trying g to stay close to top speed all the time. I think it depends on the person. I'd i wasn't doing it I WOULD be laying on the couch doing NO exercise. :)

I was told that those who read or watch tv while doing cardio machines might as well be sitting on the couch' date=' you unwittingly keep your heart rate lower by multitasking like that and aren't reaping any benefits.

My ex-bf and I are doing a challenge right now, we gave ourselves 30 days and whomever loses the most weight in that time gets 50 worth of whatever they want. He is a male in his early 20's so I got him to agree to giving me a 7 pound lead, to make up for his unfair advantange! :P[/quote']

That seems like a strong statement...no benefits. I have a spinning bike and wear the hrm while using it. I like high intensity workouts but sometimes just dont have the juice. Even doing lighter rides gets some heart rate elevation.. And I tend to do longer duration with lower intensity which builds endurance so I dont think i buy into this theory.

Good luck on the challenge! Let us know how it goes. I an curious what formula was used to agree on 7?

Edited by CowgirlJane

Even men might have trouble with weight loss due to hormonal issues if their free testosterone levels are not optimal. Sometimes there is just too much estrogen in the male body and this leads to fat storage and other undesirable results. The ratio can be balanced in favor of free testosterone with help from eating certain foods (broccoli), prescription or supplementation (certain herbs help - see a Vitamin store). I eat broccoli whenever possible.