Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve vs lapband...

I've been doing a ton of research and gone to a few support groups. I have met some very successful people with both Lapband and the sleeve. I'm curious to know how your recovery was with the sleeve? I have 3 kids...2 younger ones and I work full-time. I was planning on hopefully scheduling a December surgery date but was going to maybe only take 10 or 11days. Is that sufficient time fir the sleeve surgery? As a mom I originally was leaning towards sleeve because it seemed the least risky...but I've noticed alot of band to sleeve revisions. Would love feedback on this. Thanks!

I went to my original orientation thinking I would get banded. As soon as I heard about the sleeve, though, I knew it was what I wanted. I didn't want to be tied to my surgeon indefinitely for saline adjustments. I didn't want a port either. For each procedure I knew someone who had successfully done it and each one lost over 100 pounds so it knew both surgeries had potential for great loss. The deciding factors for me? Metabolic resetting, removal of hunger hormones, and no re-routing of anything like they do in a bypass. I am very happy with my outcome, best of luck to you whichever way you decide to go!

Sent from my iPad using VST

Thank you KV! When were you sleeved and how much have you lost? Most importantly how do you feel? Were you ever concerned about losing to much? I currently weigh 240 and I would love to ideally lose about 70-80 lbs...but def don't want to get to small..I love my curves..lol. Is your appetite drastically reduced ? What are goods you eat and foods you avoid??

I've been doing a ton of research and gone to a few support groups. I have met some very successful people with both Lapband and the sleeve. I'm curious to know how your recovery was with the sleeve? I have 3 kids...2 younger ones and I work full-time. I was planning on hopefully scheduling a December surgery date but was going to maybe only take 10 or 11days. Is that sufficient time fir the sleeve surgery? As a mom I originally was leaning towards sleeve because it seemed the least risky...but I've noticed alot of band to sleeve revisions. Would love feedback on this. Thanks!

10 to 11 days is do-able though it might take a few more weeks for you to really start feeling 100%, if that makes sense. At least for me, I felt kind of drained for the first few weeks....I think my body was still healing.

Did you mean to say as a mom you were leaning towards the band?

Most surgeons seem to maintain that though the band is about as close as you can get to "0" risk, it's long-term numbers don't seem quite as effective. My surgeon basically said he only recommends the band if someone is asking for something with almost zero risk.

At the same time, the risk associated with driving your car to the hospital are probably higher than the risks associated with any bariatric surgery. Modern bariatric surgery is very safe, so it's important to keep that in mind.

The sleeve has worked wonders for me, but I understand that results vary...and I'm just getting started!!!

I had surgery oct 8 and went back to work on Monday. Only for 5 hours. Possible. But I was able to take it easy and only worked at my desk. I came home really tired. Today I worked 6 1/2 hours and today was the best I felt since surgery. Taking it easy this weekend. Good luck

I was sleeved May 17th - five months and one day ago. I have lost 59.8 pounds as of this morning (yeah I weigh every day lol). I feel great and have since the day after surgery. I feel fortunate that I had no complications - no nausea, vomiting and little pain except for surgical gas. I am about 12 pounds from my goal, which is pretty mind blowing to me! I know that my weight loss will taper off, but it has been really steady so far. I think as I get close and start adding more calories things will balance to my desired weight just fine. I don't think you'll loose your curves! They will be proportionate to the rest do you!

As for food - I do get hungry, but not nearly like before. And after a couple of ounces of Protein I feel completely satisfied and I no longer get really strong cravings - a real blessing. I target Protein first, then simple carbs (veggies and fruit) if I have room. A lot of time there is no room! I average about 800 calories a day and 80 grams of protein. I know need to be better about getting in more Fluid and exercise - those are my goals. "I am a work in progress"! :-)

Forgot to add: I tend to like softer Proteins...shrimp, fish, eggs. I haven't tried steak yet but like grilled , roasted and deli chicken. I avoid rice, soda, potatoes, chips and gave up popcorn at least for now. Besides my new addiction to shrimp, I've also become addicted to sugar free Popsicles! They act as my dessert most days.

Forgot to add: I tend to like softer Proteins...shrimp, fish, eggs... Besides my new addiction to shrimp, I've also become addicted to sugar free Popsicles! They act as my dessert most days.

Amen! I never used to eat popsicles of any kind. Yet I've also mysteriously become addicted to sugar-free popsicles since surgery. Go figure. Sometimes I even have two :D

Me TWO!

Thank you all so much! Truly appreciate your feedback !

So any discomforts - ie: reflux, or this sliming that I think is only with the band..or food getting stuck? All sound horrific but I think most of these are with the band. Oh also do most of you now still have to. 'Sip' your Water? I gave always been a very big water drinker (a gulper lol).

Wishing you both all continues success on your journey!!

Who are all these successful bandsters? I was banded in 2001 & while there were successes I only n ow 1 person that still has her band and maintained her losses . There are plenty of surgeons who don't do the procedure anymore. Be careful of thinking that meeting a few patients is research. There are a number of studies out there that show complications I on rates for the band being very high over the long run.

Thanks cowgirl. I was referring to the successful friends I have personally along with patients I've seen at the support groups and the online talk forum for lapband that I've been reviewing for the last 7 months. I would never base such an important decision on what just a 'few' people say...hence being the reason I'm on this forum getting as much feedback as I can. Every experience is so different, however I am reading more and more about band to sleeve revisions.

Appreciate the info!

The band should not even be on the market anymore. Plus is mass expensive to maintain... If you live to use it.

I just posted a new video answering why I chose the Sleeve over the Lap Band.

I have a friend that had the band about 2 years ago. It was only a temp solution for him. He quickly learned to eat around the band and gained all the weight back.

He also has had complications from the band rubbing and causing scar tissue on his stomach. It wasn't long after the scarring that they had to deflate his band and may have to take it out.

It may be a few minutes before the vid is available. It's still uploading.

Can I chime in late? I initially wanted a bypass in 2006. My dr told me about the band and suggested it as being safer as I was young and a single mom. I had the band placed July 3 2006 and I lost 124 lbs in 15 months. I was a model bandster even appearing in commercials for my surgeons office and being selected to audition for an Allergan (makers of lap band) commercial. After 3 years, I started to get horrible heartburn, then acid reflux with aspiration. At that time, I had no insurance and couldn't afford to see my surgeon. Quickly I realized what foods would go down easier and I gained 75 lbs back. Finally may of this year, I was diagnosed with a prolapse and slip. I started researching those issues and found that sooooo many people were having issues with their bands after 5 years. I started going back to support groups and participating in online forums and the people that were 5+ years out were almost all having similar issues. I was shocked! I totally thought I was the exception and not the rule. A great deal of my banded buddies were looking into revisions or just having their bands removed. There are still a lot of people out tgere that believe in the band and are successful but I would say most of those people are 1-3 years out and still in their "honeymoon" phase. My advice to anyone who is considering the band would be to consider the sleeve first. But if that's not an option for you, make sure that you will have enough money or good insurance to cover fills and very likely complications down the road. It could be something small like a port flip but nonetheless, the band requires a lifetime of maintaining it. And if you do get the band, don't ignore the signs of a slip. Get in immediately and do a barium swallow. It won't change the outcome but it could decrease the other complications. I loved my band when it worked but in hindsight, I wish I would've chosen another surgery. I am a month out from having my band removed and 2 weeks away from being sleeved. I can't wait to start my life over again.