Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats it like being under and waking up from surgery?

I haven't had this surgery yet but I've had 2 others. Unfortunately I wake up very nauseated and last time woke up with a raging headache too. They told be I won the award for the worst recovery! Yay me! Lol. I'm hoping this time will be better but either way, it will be worth it for me.

I have had severe nausea a couple of times after surgery. Now I just tell the anesthesiologist about it when I see him prior to surgery and they can give you some medication along with the anesthesia that will keep this from happening.

I have had severe nausea a couple of times after surgery. Now I just tell the anesthesiologist about it when I see him prior to surgery and they can give you some medication along with the anesthesia that will keep this from happening.

I told the last one, gallbladder, and they gave me meds and put the patch behind my ear.

I will stress it again with this one and hope they try something else.

I remember one time a doctor asked me to let him know when I was out, lol. I remember the other day, as I started to wake up, my husband told me that everything was fine and the surgery went great... big smile then zzzzzz

they told me they were mixing me a great cocktail, next thing i knew i woke up in recovery. felt like five seconds! i was very nauseous when i woke up though.

I had a 4 hour surgery and had a tear running down my cheek from fear and 4 hours later was still in that emotional mindset and still tearing up even though that time had passed. I liken it to being frozen in time till you come out of it somewhat the it's groggy heavy sleep feeling. This time no warning of going out. I've had worse surgeries and this one only rated a 4 on the intensity scale

I honestly don't remember anything. They wheeled me into the operating room, I hopped over onto the table and the nurse was making small talk with me, next thing I know I woke up in the recovery room. It was like walking up in the morning except I was a little sore.

Like a deep sleep?

We were talking one minute, the next minute I was waking up.....a little sleepy, blurry eyed, but felt well rested and started walking in recovery as soon as I could. I've had surgeries where I get really angry when they are waking me up---things have changed over the years LOL I felt like I had the best sleep of my life........for me the surgery was easy peasy.....

My experience is like I am punching my way out of a paper bag when I am waking up. I feel like I am fighting to come to. I have had several surgeries. So I know what to expect. Maybe the first time it was a little scary, but now no biggie.

My wake up was so easy. I remember going under, telling the anesthetist that I could feel what he had put In my IV. Next thing I know I am awake, like wide awake, no pain, no nausea, no nothing and I'm looking at the clock and it was an hour earlier than I anticipated and I was convinced for a few minutes no surgery had been done. That he got in and my giant oversized liver oooozed from my incisions and he just closed me up. I was wrong, but it was an eerie feeling.

I usually remember my recovery but the only thing I remember is going in the OR and

being woke up. I immediately drifted back to sleep and have no memory of recovery at all.I have had several surgeries and this had never happened before. It was a very easy surgery and recovery.

I don't even remember getting the anesthesia. Last thing I remember was being carted towards surgery then waking up for a split second in recovery. First real thing I remember was waking up in my hospital room.

I usually wake up easily from anesthesia but after the sleeve I apparently needed a nap. Pre-op I was on the operating table, the guy said they were going to give me the good drugs (and they were awesome!) and what felt like minutes later I wake up to a very annoying nurse asking me over and over how I felt and if I was in pain. I kept shushing her (sorry, lady!) because my stomach was cramping and it hurt. All her talking was making it hurt more :) Anyway, within 30 minutes I finally came fully awake and realized that I'd been asleep for 5 hours. I was shocked - surgery had taken 45 minutes, then I had slept with help from the anesthesia for many hours. As a result I was awake all night, completely rested, and totally ready to check out the next morning. I still feel guilty for being rude to the nurse by shushing her!

The last thing I remember was leaving out of preop room. The next thing I was aware of was nurse rubing my shoulder and telling me the pain I was feeling in shoulder was gas. I know the more I moved around when able to get up the more and faster relief I had from this. I never had any pain from the actual surgery.

Last thing I remembered was saying goodbye to my sister in the preop area. Then I remember waking up in recovery asking for air, and being thirsty. Next thing I knew was I was in my room with oxygen in my nose. No nausea, no pain except when I coughed. This was my very first surgery, so I think I got off lucky!

The last thing I remember was getting on the surgery table and the nurse putting a mask on my face. Next thing I was in recovery moaning from the pain. I ne'er opened my eyes to see anything. The nurse gave me more meds and then I remember being in my room. I had tons of pain from all the extra things they had to do and the extra incisions.