Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did Brown eat today?

Hi. I"ve started this thread to track what I eat daily. It's not enough to track it in my phone app. I think I need to write it down so others can take a look. Number one, it will help to keep me honest!! do I really put EVERYTHING I eat in the app.. I thought I did. Number two someone can take a look and see where I might be going wrong. I know for the first week when I faithfully track I will lose a few pounds. You'll see I eat the same thing practically every week. I'm not very adventurous when it comes to cooking. I cook for my family, Hubby of 30 years, 26 year old daughter (she and I watch our weight together), my 22 year old son (he's 6"2 rail and swears he's fat very healthy eater), and my 2 year old grandson. We eat , like everyone else I'm sure, mainly baked Protein chicken ( lots of that ), pork, beef and fish. Today isa Friday ( 3am here in Cincinnati ), I can't sleep. I'm starting day 3 fast for this week. Last meal was before bed snack of Edammae and diet green tea. The plan for today, not eat anything until lunch time, I'll have salad, then diner.. small steak and spinach.

Hiya, Brown -- great idea! I will post later what I eat on fast days, but I wanted to give you this great link to read about fasting in general, lots of info and background on how it's good for you apart from just weight loss (also in respect to the getting smaller without the scale reflecting it, which always makes me wonder how that happens...). Anyhow, it's a great article, and at the bottom is a link to the entire series about fasting -- worth a read, especially if you're insomniac like me. :D

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-weight-loss/

Enjoy!

Like I isaid I will read daily but include activity. I have a theory brewing.. do you feel comfortable posting a full body pic?

Friday 10/18 was a Fast day. Normal fast days are Monday and Thursday.. This week I did Monday , Wed and Friday. BK hot Protein chocolate, lunch salad just lettuce and Salad Dressing, diner steak, onions, mushrooms, lettuce, planned in Sugar Free Chocolate Fudge bar ending Friday fast day at 535. CowGirl my pedometer reads 6040. Normal activity walking around my office, then shopping after work. I'm staring at my recumbent bike and trying to mentally get ready to ride in the mornings, but not quite there yet. I really really hate traditional excersise. I know excuses, excuses.. I'm just being real honest. I know that will more than likely kick the loss into gear.. but If I put in the effort and it doesn't I'll really be crushed. I will focus on ensuring my pedometer reads at least 6,000 daily (then begin to move up). I'll think of it that way and not focus on the time I need to ride the bike..

Looks good to me. The doc said eat lots of veg on fast days, so you might boost that up a little... stir fry? veg Soup?

Hiya, Brown -- great idea! I will post later what I eat on fast days, but I wanted to give you this great link to read about fasting in general, lots of info and background on how it's good for you apart from just weight loss (also in respect to the getting smaller without the scale reflecting it, which always makes me wonder how that happens...). Anyhow, it's a great article, and at the bottom is a link to the entire series about fasting -- worth a read, especially if you're insomniac like me. :D

http://www.marksdail...ng-weight-loss/

Enjoy!

I read the link.. really good.. I have read the Dr. Michaels Fasting book, and belong to the Fast Diet UK forum. I agree 5:2 does have other benefits and I believe it will help so I'm gonna stick with it. I'm interested in the part of the link that talks about IF and the effects on women. today Saturday 10/19 non fast day, woke up really really hungry, (due to no late night snacking last night).. Had 2 fried eggs and 2 sausage patties rounded 470 cal. will eat out will be near fast food. then home for diner. Saturdays are typically the highest calorie days at 1700

Although I know not all people are the same, at 5' 9" and 60 years old, 1700 would be more like maintenance, "treat" day or super exercise day for me... I'm looking at 1200 today, 5 of those a week would stall my weight loss. (My head still thinks that is crazy! 1700 is not that many calories for a "normal" person)

Other people here eat more than I, and many the same as I. Some even less than I. I can eat 1700 now and then, Like on my vacation... Im sure a couple of those days I was that high, but also was kayaking, hiking and generally moving more than usual. Jumping on the 5:2 got the 3+ pounds off pronto... in one day......

Edited by feedyoureye

What does your normal eating days look like? no judgements, just trying to help

FYE.. thanks for checking in on this and maybe your right 1700 on a normal day is too much to lose weight. Perhaps that's the problem I have been in maintenance mode for calories. I talked to my normal doc about trying to lose more weight and she told me to increase calories and not do lower calories any more. I've been tracking and thought staying under 2000 was a good goal, but maybe your right that is too high? I checked in with my original NUT at the beginning of the year and she has always told me not to count calories, but to track Carbs and Protien. I've always done that carbs under 60 and Protein at least 90. Honestly though my tracker shows calories I never really paid that much attention to them. Just the Carb and Protein counts. Wonder what a good calorie goal for me should be and Include that in my carb and protein watch CowGirlJane.. I have thick skin and will not get offended.. I've asked for honest help and I appreciate any thoughts you have. We've all been here and I don't feel judged.. Today I ended at1450 calories ( rounding ) about 470 Breakfast, 200 lunch ( two turkey lettuce wraps ) 370 for diner.. ate wings and side salad with the family out. this is where I lose it 410 in Snacks 1 Power Crunch bar and 1 mrs fields cookie. 1450 cals, 52 carbs, 111 protein My pedometer reads 8420. I get lots of steps on the weekends. A typical day non fast day for me Breakfast around 300 most days less. eggs, Sausage, or Eggs and bacon , a frozen breakfast sandwich on flat bread, fit light greek yogart and protein hot chocolate about 40 minutes later. lunch is usually from 200 - 300 either tuna with or without a hard boiled egg and lettuce or meatball, Tomato sauce and cheese, or Atkins frozen meal, or turkey lettuce wrap, or chicken salad, or left over protein and veggie from the night before. dinner is typically around 400 calories. Always protein , veggies and or salad. occasionaly small amount of rice. Snacks are my downfall. Planned snacks are about 60 - 100 calories, SF puddings, sf chocolate fudge bars, WW deserts and the dreaded Power Crunch bars, which are 200 calories. As I look back over my FatSecret diary I'd say the 1700 cal days are days I see I ate fast food ( nuggets or Wendy's chili ).. Most of the days are closer to 1400 and 1500.. In the past I had been eating 2 power crunch bars which took me up as well. Really I'm open.. what are your thoughts.

I don't want to set you against your nut or doc, just thinking if their advice is not working for you at this point, then maybe lower the cals. I try not to go below 1200. I just started eating more veggies when I needed more food to keep full, and that helped keep the cals down.

FYE.. no worries to go against DOC or NUT I haven't seen them or been under their care in over a year.. I just remember her last advice and why I had not found a good calorie count to help me lose weight. My normal doc checks on my diabetes which is in remission since the surgery. She is old school and doesn't prescribe to low calories and has no idea how to advice me with the sleeve. I want to take advice from someone who's been where I'm at, someone like you and others in the group that have been successful managing eating with the sleeve and now having success with the 5:2. I really think 5:2 will help get the calorie count under where I've normally been ( and we see my normal has not been helping me lose ), and 5:2 will help gain control of the night time munchies. Can you give me a sample of your 1200 calorie non fast day? Do you think lower calories will enhance the weight loss? Do you count Protein? I'm all ears and of course no worries.. I'll take all advice and do what I think will work for me. Sincerely appreciate input from this group.

I remember the 5:2 site says the 5:2 is not recommended for people with Diabetes, but with you in remission, this might not apply.... I would think if you monitor, then it might be ok?

I start with a 1200 limit on feast days, and add more as Myfitnesspal recommends with added exercise. I am also a vegetarian. I don't eat a very simple diet, my list is as long as my arm! I eat around 4 meals sized meals a day, averaging around 300+ calories each. I try and eat lots of veggies, in Soups, salads, stir fries and baked casseroles. I plan a sweet meal at the end of the day, and this helps me to avoid sweet snacking during the rest of the day. I try to eat more Protein and Fiber than MFP recommends, which is more in line with the 60+ recommended by my doc. My carb intake is lower than MFP recommends, but is NOT low. I try and eat very high nutrition foods, organic grains and veggies, good quality fats and fruits, and like I said, vegetarian Proteins. I can eat a lot. I make it mostly veggies. I can eat a 3 cup bowl of Soup, and the same sized bowl of salad. I try not to stuff myself, and quit before I get there. I do have good restriction, though but it shows up with some foods and not others. I can't eat much Pasta, go figure. I can make 1/2 serving, and leave most of it on the plate. (hurray!) Honestly, I don't see myself as a very good roll model, except for the eat lots of variety of high quality raw and cooked veggies advice. I even grow my own, and keep those local microbes going down the hatch! (I'm into feeding the gut microbes, pre-biotics and pro-biotics)

We are all different and so i want to be careful with advice. now knowing you are diabetic, I am even less comfortable.

Let me share the general direction my thoughts were going and I suggest that you decide if it makes sense and "fits" your world. I know for a fact that my way is not suitable for many... so I take no offense at all if you decide it is not right for you.

1. I dont count calories, I am a carb and Protein counter.

2. I just dont eat junk, I dont eat fast food.I treat food like I am the most expensive car in the world and I put only the most premium fuel in. that means, no fast food , no tv dinners, very little processed food

3. i eat using appetizer size dishes so my portions stay very small. Protein first, green and similiar veggies second - fruit and stuff is moderate. rice, Pasta, potatos etc etc are zero. I think you are basically doing this

4. I need vigorous exercise. This may not be appropritate for everyone, but a year ago I switced to high intensity and it changed my body shape and revved my metabolism. walking around shopping doesn't cut it - I need to sweat and get an elevated heart rate. It isn't about the calories burned during exercise, it is about changing the way my body functions. Maybe sounds crazy and maybe doesn't fit for you.... but if you are interested I can tell you safe ways to start down that path.

5. I need more physical movement. all the time. I changed my lifestyle fundamentally to be the woman on the move.... again, not about the caloried burn it somehow changed my metabolism. watching tv and snacking used to be a major hobby, now, even if it is just playing with my puppy or dusting the shelves.... I do more of the "moving" and a whole lot less of the sitting.

I have posted my bikini photos so you allknow I am muscular. I didn't set out to be muscular and I don't lift weights. I like being muscular though and somewhere along the way somebody told me I was athletic (who me???????) - I have been mentally changing my view of myself to being an athletic person and it sounds nuts but my mind had to change before my body did. I was relatively sedentary/desk job kinda gal for decades and now I am an athlete so those calories burn. I would rather hike up a mountain then go out for brunch. I know this is a big picture change and didn't happen instantly, and isn't right for everyone - but I feel like my body said "oh thank goodness, been waiting for you to do this"

I still havent seen a body shot of you, but I have wondered if you too are an athelete at heart and needs to light the fire in the engine room so that your own body starts burning those calories up the way it was meant to.

Truly this mindshift has been monumental for me.

Edited by CowgirlJane

FYE.. Your observation about calories I think it spot on. I've been reading more and researching and agree if I want to kick up the losing I have to lower my calorie intake, keeping Protein and carbs in mind. I'll shoot to stay under 1200 and see if that gets me moving. Honestly after these past few weeks and really tracking again I know exactly where the problem is.. its the snacking.. even the planned ones can ruin an otherwise good day. I think I've got this for a while. Up the veggies, watch the calories, and get the snacking under control. CowGirlJane as for the exercise to be perfectly honest I really admire you so much!!. I have never ever been one for exercise. I hear the athlete in you, I hear the adventurer in you. I didn't realize you were 49!! I was gonna blame my attitude on my age, I'm 56 or so ( I lose count ) You sound like a spring chicken with a zest for life and I do so admire that. I'm just more of a laid back person. Nurturing my family brings me the most joy, I am honest excersise is a chore for me, nothing I ever look forward to. I have a recumbent bike I try to ride in the mornings, but find ever excuse not to. I took zumba for a while, that was fun, but something always got in the way and I stopped going to class. I know I have to move, Mentally I know that will help with weight loss. For right now.. I'm gonna focus on getting those calories under control, and less snacking. When that stalls , you are so right I am going to have to kick up the exercise. Never a warrior I'll be, there is no athlete in me waiting to get out so I know I will never be a size 8 ( oh so proud of you !! ) but I have no desire , right now, to be that size. I've been looking for a body shot, but haven't found a good one to post. I'm larger on the top, small waist and larger hips. HIps and boobs are in proportion (I think). CGJ you do have my permission to yell at me to get off my butt.. the next time I'm whining about gaining or stalling.

I have not been a sporty person.... but slowly have made myself into one more... I have been adding an activity or two that I love over the last 5 years... I take belly dance class twice a week...walk with adults with disabilities twice a week, (and get paid for it...) I started bird watching,and hike a couple of times a week by myself or with Audubon field trips....I really had to find things I would do anyway, even if they were not exercise! I love the company, and the solitude, and slowly, it has changed the way my body looks and my mental state as well! Is there something you have always wanted to try? Something you did as a young woman that you regret giving up? Something you can do with the kids or other family? I had to get unstuck from the idea that anything but the gym or conventional exercise was not real exercise....