Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Rebecca. I guess this is my introduction story, so here it goes. In February of 2013 my husband suffered a stroke because he was a non compliant Type 2 Diabetic. Although I tried for years to make better meal choices for him, I really was very ignorant to proper carb servings, and Portion Control.

We have 4 children, 2 boys and 2 girls. At the time of his stroke our 2 boys were already grown and gone, but we still have our two daughters at home, a 17 and 6 year old.

We went through 4 months of hospitals, physical rehabs and neurological rehabs for my husband. Here I was supposed to be helping him and it was all I could do to push past the pain in my knees and feet. By the end of the day I was exhausted, yet insomnia robbed me of precious hours of sleep. I came to the realization that I needed to get healthy, not only for myself, but for my children.

I had tried in the past to get healthy with diet and exercise, but none of that was worth anything when I had no support from my husband at home who would bring goodies home and suggest eating out 2-3 times a week. But after the stroke I decided to take control. I went to all the nutrition classes and got to meet with his therapist and learn how to do things right.

I discussed with my husband how I had been researching VSG for 2 years and I was finally ready to seriously look into it. I started by going to my regular doctor to look at my knees and feet. I am 5'1" and when I got on the scale I weighed 217.

He said my left knee already has some degeneration in it. And my right foot was sprained during a routine treadmill walk.

I looked online and found Dr Michael Lara at the Las Palmas Bariatric Center. I went to a seminar in July and began my VSG Journey.

I've had my ups and downs. By the time I actually had my first appointment I had lost 10lbs because of our new Diabetic diet. Which was great news, BUT it put me at a BMI of 38.9 which is under the qualifying BMI of 40.0 which I had been at 217. So they sent me off for a sleep apnea study. And they found I do have sleep apnea so I now qualify with a pre existing condition.

Because of my husbands stroke, we have met all our deductibles and so I am on a fast track to get my surgery done before December. It has been non stop doctor visits every week.

I've already had my mammogram, my pap and the barium swallow and H-Pylori done. I've taken they psych eval and I just need to more doctor visits in November before they'll give me my December surgery date.

I am excited, nervous, worried and sometimes numb to the whole process. I'm not afraid of the work, in fact I can't wait to get started, because this time I KNOW I will see results.

I guess one of my biggest worries is of course excess skin. I'm hoping I won't have too much excess.

I also wanted to ask about the many supplements that need to be taken. I was recommended to take my supplements from Bariatric Advantage. Is anyone else familiar with this brand. Are there other brands you recommend to look into that are just as good.

Well that's my story in a nut shell, I have some family members who do no want me to have surgery and others who are 100% behind me.

I gained my weight pretty evenly in my face, stomach, legs and arms. So when people look at me in clothes I don't look too bad. So I have received a lot of negative comments from people saying, I don't NEED surgery, I just need to put a little more focus on exercise. Or they actually wish me to not be able to have the surgery because THEY don't think I need it.

I really have to tune them out and focus on what I need and want for myself.

My support system is pretty great. I am a member of the www.SmokinHotMamaClub.com and my cheerleading squad consist of over 6,000 loving and supporting women! My mentor is Pam Crim and she is has already taught me so much about becoming a better woman so I can be a better wife, a better mom, a better friend and a mentor to others.

I guess that's it, feel free to ask me anything.

Sincerely,

Rebecca

post-70837-13838396466884_thumb.jpg

Hi becca! Thanks for sharing your story, and congratulations on starting your journey! This board is a wealth of information :) I read EVERYthing I could while I prepared for surgery. Im still addicted :) People are great about sharing their experiences, and by the time I had my surgery, nothing was a surprise :)

I take Bariatric Advantage chewables. My NUT (nutritionist) recommended them because they have evrything we need, and there are no special timing issues for proper absorbtion. I like them because I think of them as a little sweet treat.

As far as loose skin.....You just wont know til you get there! For sure though: you will FEEL SO MUCH BETTER. And your beautiful family will love that you feel better:)

Best of luck!

You have such a great family it looks like now it's time to take care of you as a mom myself that's the last thing on the board right ... But not now after what you have been through this will be a walk in the park ... Keep your head up and just keep moving forward every day will get better and before you know it your health will be back and you and your family will look at your past and say wow we made it. Good luck and god bless your journey ...

Lovely family, friend! I would not worry too much about skin, that is a "later" issue. As for Vitamins, I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and take their 'bariatric vitamin' and Calcium... both chewable.< /p>

Please explore and ask any questions!

Thank You all for the welcome!!! I just had an appointment today, things are looking good. Just one more appointment at the end of this month and I'm ready to get a surgery date! I'm really excited!!!