Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before or After Question

I need some advice. I am planning on a big family trip to England and Wales with thirty members of my family in the end of June. it's a once in a life time trip with family, My question is should I post pone my surgery, if possible, until I get back or have it in April as I had planned during my spring break...I teach. many family members want me to wait and have fun sampling all the goodies which I may regret not being able to do if I do have the surgery before going. but, having some of this weight OFF, may make for a more pleasant vacation,I have about 100lbs to lose. what are your thoughts? can I still sample some of the foods after surgery? and my other thought is I would only be eating my way thru Europe!

Personally, I wouldn't wait, I think the benefit of weighing less and being able to enjoy your trip because of improved health is worth more than being able to eat whatever you want. I am still pre-op but I would think from April to end of June is plenty of time to recover and get used to the new lifestyle. That said, it is totally up to you and a personal decision.

Enjoy your trip, it sounds fun!

I like you have about 100 lbs to lose. I went to Disney in July and was sleeved in August the week after we got back. Honestly, walking was really tough while we were at Disney....Ibuprofen was my best friend. I have lost almost 50 lbs and sure wish I had the opportunity to do Disney now. My knees don't hurt and my overall energy is way up. I had a great time on our trip, but I really do remember how bad I hurt with all the walking and think now how much better I would have felt with some weight off. Not to mention I would have felt better about myself in pictures and would have included myself in more pictures with my family. I'm the shortest in my family so all pictures I would have to be in front and the kids are too tall to hide me. :). Plus, you will probably need to get some new clothes before you go if you are sleeved ahead of time. :)

I'm sure you are trying to take everyone's feelings into account, but do what you think is best for you. At two months out, I still eat small portions, but am fine with a bite of someone's dessert ever so often too. Good luck with your decision and surgery!

If I were you I would definitely NOT postpone your surgery. In truth you should be practicing good habits right up until you have surgery, so you really shouldn't be eating too many goodies any way :( Plus all the walking and site seeing will be good for you post-op and like you said you will probably feel better with a little weight off. I hope I don't sound "preachy" just trying to give my honest opinion.

The trip is once in a lifetime because of the people, not the food. You can enjoy their company even more if you weigh 30 to 60 pounds less because you then can keep up with everyone whenever they are walking around. Don't postpone the surgery.

Edited by ItsMe2033

I had my surgery August 3, so am roughly where you would be going to Europe. I would choose to do the surgery before. I am completely recovered and feel better than I have in years. You will still be able to sample things, but you won't be able to pig out. Its awesome, really. You can choose to not order your own entree and sample from others if you're close enough to your family. Or take your leftovers back to your hotel. Either way, its a win. My vote is definitely for before.

Just putting out there I am just now 3 months post op down 67lbs I feel better then I have In a long time and any sort of trip would be much easier on my body then pre op. But I must warn you it takes some people longer to recover. I have more energy then I used to but I still feel sick to my stomach most days and that can take a toll on you. Like I said-everyone is different I just wanted you to have my perspective too.

You should definitely have the surgery in April! You will be feeling so good by the 2 month mark you will be thrilled with your weight loss, some new clothes(maybe?), and you'll be able to keep up with your active family members. Don't worry, you'll be able to sample some local cuisine while you're there, and be happy you have your sleeve in place to help you. 30 family members traveling together? Sounds so awesome!!

It's worth having the conversation with your surgeon in terms of how he estimates your recovery time. I encourage you to have the surgery as you intended. There is such a variety of experiences re. recovery time among our "family."

You'll have an added incentive to start getting in shape now in anticipation of your trip which sounds wonderful!

thanks everyone for the words of encouragement! I was thinking same thing about more energy, feeling better about myself and not having to dread picture taking time! :)