Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will you lie about the surgery?

I agree with indecision. I won't lie about it, nor do I care what other people think. I'm proud of myself for making this decision and all the trials and tribulations that go with it. I work with quite a few people that should consider WLS but for whatever reason they choose not to. They have been, for the most part, a great support network. There are a few nay-sayers but oh well, that's their opinion. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Chosing to tell or not tell is a personal choice. I am a "damn the torpedos" kind of person and let everyone know what was going on. If they didn't like it, the hell with them. I needed the support of everyone I could get it from on Facebook, so I was pretty public about the pre-op journey.

However, medical issues are private and you're allowed to keep them that way. I had some complications with some medications post-op and was off work for another three weeks two months after surgery. I didn't tell anyone the details. If they asked, I said I was OK now, thanks, and let it go.

I do think it's a shame that WLS has such a stigma that people face negativity and feel they have to lie or hide that they're taking care of their own health. People hate cancer, and other diseases, but they hate fat people, not fat. We can choose to educate the world about the surgery and that it's NOT the easy way out (at all!) or we can choose to be private, and both choices are valid. And some people can choose both, depending on the situation.

Family is tricky. If they aren't going to be supportive, don't get into it with them. It's not worth the extra stress to argue/defend yourself. But I also wouldn't work up a good lie, either. Medical issue. Period. Thanks for your concern. How's the weather?

Good luck!

I wouldn't lie about the surgery. I would like to encourage others to get theirs done if possible. I don't pay mind to negative comments or let it affect me. I want to be someone's inspiration to do this like others have been to me. I've been lied to before on regards to the wls and its kind of disappointing to find out at the end the truth, just because I thought I could never do it. I wouldn't want others to feel the same. That's my personal opinion.

Edited by HipsAndLipstick

Use this as an opportunity to be creative. If you tell someone you are having surgery and they press you for details, here are some optional one-liners that will probably end the conversation:

1. I'm completing my gender reassignment surgery.

2. It's less of a surgery and more of an electric shock therapy procedure.

3. Don't tell anyone, but I have a HUGE hemorrhoid.

4. Well, I think if I increase my breast size, my butt will look smaller. What do you think?

5. Here let me show you these bumps on my crotch area and you tell me what you think they could be....

6. (And my personal favorite because it was the truth in my case) I'm going to have 85% of my stomach removed in Tijuana.

In all seriousness, it's no one's business and I don't think you have to lie about it, but you sure don't have to tell if you don't want to.

I have not lied but did tell some who ask pre-op that I was having a hernia repaired, which was the truth.

Since the surgery, I feel more free to tell others about the sleeve. They can see the results for themselves, and I have had no negative comments.

When my husband was making our lodging arrangements he mentioned we would be in town for a surgery. The guy on the other end said, "Oh what kind of surgery?" My husband, with all the seriousness, said, "A penis enlargement." Crickets...

I just posted a response on this on another question ...

Why lie about it? Why not just be up front and honest? Use this as an opportunity to inform and educate people on the sleeve and the truth about weight loss surgeries in general!

I've been really struggling with this. I had lap band in 2006, told everyone who would listen and I lost 125 lbs. Now, 7 years later I am preparing to have sleeve surgery in a couple of weeks and I've only told my mom and my husband. I didn't want to tell anyone at work because I didn't want to get frowned upon for missing work for a surgery that is looked at as "elective" by the masses. I also did not tell my best friend because she has commented several times about my lap band having been the "easy way out" (ha! who are you kidding?) and how she had to lose weight the "hard" way (also known as being denied WLS by her insurance) I guess when I start losing weight again, I will tell people I am just working hard at it. If they ask if I had WLS, I don't think I'll fib but just depends how I feel at the moment. I don't think a lot of people who aren't overweight have a lot of knowledge about VSG so I can probably spin it any way Im comfortable with. But to be honest, I have to wonder if part of my hesitance to be open with people is that I am scared I may fail again. It was a horrible experience to have gotten to goal weight and then put it all back on. Its embarassing and Im ashamed. And that is something I don't want to deal with.

I am planning on getting sleeved in January and like McButterpants, I don't want to lie but will have to omit the full details before the surgery. After the surgery, I want to be honest. I don't want to tell people that all I did was "watch what I ate" because that is a lie and gives people false hope. For heaven's sake, if "watching what I ate" worked in the first place, I wouldn't need the darn surgery.

I was Sleeved September 25th. I only told a handful of people that I was having the surgery and the others, I just didn't tell. If anyone ask me now, I will tell the truth. I think I just wanted to avoid any drama before the surgery. But everyone has to do what is comfortable with them. :)

Lie is an such an ugly word...I will fully disclose my decision to a few close, supportive people....I will NOT fully disclose my surgery to those that do not have a need. I will tell them that I made a permanent decision to lose weight & regain my health by making drastic lifestyle changes.

#Nuffsaid

Edited by A_ReNUDE_me

I haven't and won't lie about it. There really aren't any strangers in my life I feel would comment -- but to anyone I know, I have no problem talking about what I've done or answering questions about it. I feel like a lot of people could benefit from me talking about it openly, since there's such a culture of shaming people either who are overweight or who have had WLS to try to correct this (and not doing it the old fashioned bootstraps way!) that I can only see benefit coming from it, no matter what negative responses.

All my responses have been overwhelmingly positive though.

I keep trying to think of a situation where I wouldn't be comfortable telling someone and I just can't. Ohwell!

Nope!

I tell anyone! If I can help ONE other person feel the way I do, I'll love it!