Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger pangs? Really?

I was just sleeved on Oct 7th, and have been doing surprisingly well, so far! I learned that if I take my pain medication a few minutes before I eat, I can get more in me, and feel more satisfied than if I just try to tough it out thru the pain. Yesterday, I was able to eat a bowl of strained cream Soup with no problem doing it that way, and for the first time in weeks (3 weeks prior to surgery, I was on all liquid diet) I felt full and satisfied. My question is this; Why am I actually having hunger pangs? I thought that the desire or the feeling of great need to eat would be gone?! I am up before the alarm this morning because my stomach is hungry and I can't seem to ignore it, but it is way too early to eat anything! I'm having these doubts that this surgery will just not work for me like for so many others! I have 2 more weeks of full liquid before I can move on, but I am dreaming about food already! This is scary to me!

Hi! My surgery was on 9/18 and I felt hungry maybe 4 days after...at today I'm hungry at least one hour after eat. My nut told me that I need to eat every 3 hours, and believe me that's help me a lot! Today, I don't know when I'm full when I eat, I just measure my food, follow the diet and trying to do the best for my self, you know, healthy choices! Walk and try to eat every 3 hours! Good luck! Oh I lost 16 pounds since surgery day.

You are only 5 days out and your stomach has endured major trauma. It is not hungry but healing. You may also have acid and may need to take an reducer as you will be surprised how this helps. You also shouldn't be having pain when you eat. Are you eating too much at once? What is a bowl of Soup? You should measure out 2 ounces at first and then if you feel you can/should eat more measure out another 2 ounces.

Thank you both for your comments! I really appreciate your suggestions and support! As for a bowl of Soup, that was probably 1/2 cup, a bit more, I think. I did not measure it out, but it was the most I have been able to consume for one meal since the surgery. Most of my "meals" have only been a few bites, maybe adding up to a quarter of a cup. Then, because of stomach pain, or the feeling that every bite contained razor blades, I would just give up and call the meal done. My doctor has me on pepcid 2x per day, so I think the acid is OK at the point. The gassy feeling if finally subsiding a bit, which is a relief! I think it is correct to rememeber that my poor stomach has been traumatized, and is healing and that is most likely what I am feeling, not necessarily hunger pangs. I'm just so new to this that everything is either a surprise or confusion! As the days progress, I am sure I will get the hang of this!

It may be an acid attack you are having rather than hunger pains.

It sounds like something else might be going on. The acid is always mentioned because it mimics hunger pangs. You might need a different med for it. Does your stomach feel the same with everything you consume right now? I can't speak for everyone but I didn't have any physical discomfort trying to sip on a few things. You won't get many calories in at this stage but you need something to heal faster. How are Protein Drinks going?

I take 40mg protonix daily, and I don't have any acid pains..sometimes I think the Vitamins makes me hungry...I don't know....I'm taking multi, B12, Biotin and vit d. Next week I'll have to add Calcium and Iron.< /p>

As this day as gone along, I am actually getting more comfortable! I have not had to resort to any pain medication today at all! That amazes me! Water is also now going down easy, as opposed to the razor blade feelings. I've actually consumed more water today than any other day so far, and I am relieved, because I thought if I didn't get my act together, I would wind up back in the hospital with dehydration! I was able to have a 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt today, and I am looking forward to my next meal. It did fill me up and I was satisfied for about an hour and a half, when I began to feel hungry again. But, that is when I began drinking water, and discovered it didn't hurt to drink it anymore, and have been adding that, and the hunger feelings have subsided! As to Protein drinks, I have been not doing so well with those. I have them on hand, but I had so many in my pre-op liquid diet, I can't seem to look at them anymore. I plan to have one today at some point, because I know how seriously important they are for my healing and health, even if I feel like gagging on them. I have my doc appointment on Wednesday and I'm excited to see her and let her know these weird things and find out from her how far from "normal" I am or if I am right on target. My wounds are now itching, so that must mean healing is going on there as well! I'm already down 8 pounds, so that is also exciting!!! My clothes, which were already getting too big due to the pre-op diet and then the liquid phase before surgery, but now they are seriously getting ridiculous! When your undies start to want to fall off, you know exciting things are going on! LOL!

I am glad to hear you are starting to feel better. The great news is you will likely feel even better with each passing day.

Concerning your sense of hunger.....I agree that the healing tummy feels things that mimic hunger (at least mine did) and that after it heals up those pangs may pass. If they don't think about if you have allergies with post nasal drip. I was feeling insatiable hunger at ~7 weeks out that turned out to be untreated allergies. The post nasal drip sat in my stomach and caused it to grind like it was hungry. After taking my antihistamine all the "hunger" pangs disappeared.

the first few days after surgery my stomach was weird and made weird noises and had weird feelings. about a week after, everything seemed to normal out. i, personally, don't feel hungry and need to remind myself to eat. i eat something about every 2-3 hours and track everything with myfitnesspal.

I do still feel hunger pains but they're not nearly intense as before surgery. Sometimes for me it is head hunger.

I also still feel hunger pains, just not as intense as pre surgery!

We have the same surgery date!!

I had the same problems but talked to my friend who had the same surgery and was reminded small baby bites and eat slowly! I didn't have razor blades just discomfort but that has gone now that I'm eating slower and smaller bites.

Hope you're feeling better!

Thank you all for your support, because it is certainly reassuring to know that I am not the only one with these strange feelings! Today, for most of the day, I felt no hunger, but as the evening began, I felt ravenous! I had a cup of broth, and about an hour later, I got hungry again, and ate another portion of broth! Now, after that, I feel normal again! I guess I have to learn as I go, because the signals my body is giving me is confusing to me right now. By the time I figure out stage 2, I will be in stage 3!