Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I really have to give up Diet Coke

Hello, I haven't been banded yet. Getting ready to start the whole process rolling and have to say that this sight is a great tool!

Now back to my question...

I am a Diet Coke Addict. I was told at a seminar that carbonated beverages and the band are just not a good combination. That would mean I would be having to curb food and Diet Coke addictions when I get the surgery.

Anybody else face this dilema and what happens when you drink carbonated beverages?

It makes me HURT! Carbonation in a small area, is like shaking the bottle---it fizzes, and when it gets an opening it fizzes over---it feels like it is doing that in my belly. I used to drink lots of Diet Dr. Pepper----none now. I quit well before my surgery.

Our 7/11 here, has diet coke icees, that are not carbonated---some say they help.

Carbonation is thought to possibly stretch the pouch as well. And it is even said that the acidity of the pop, in such a confined space can lead to ulcerations in the stomach.

BUT ask me what I'd rather have the Dr. Pepper, or the 86 pounds... the answer is neither, I'll take my band thanks!!!

It is worth it. The Coke is not doing anything for you anyway---find something non carbonated. I drink iced tea. The food is not really much of an issue either. You have several weeks prior and post surgery that food is limited in types---but once you heal, you can eat it all again (some people have problems with some foods, but not everyone), you just don't have to eat anywhere near the amount to feel stuffed full!

Start making the changes now, and you will be fine....I promise!!

Kat

thats the best answer ive ever read.

which would you rather have?

I completely agree.

When I told my Surgeon how much I missed my Diet Mountain Dew He told me to let it sit out for 3 hours the first night and try it. Then 2 hours the second night.... I haven't done this yet because when I let it sit out all night and tried to drink it the next day . I would sip it and have to burp , sip and burp. No fun. Was not worth it to me. I am enjoying the flavor with small amount of flat dew in Water .

edie

I too was a diet coke-aholic. Was told to give it up for the same reasons, and also that is just not good for you....osteoporosis and all that.

I have not tried it since surgery, feel as though it is not worth it.

I have switched to Wylers and Crystal Light teas.

I too loved my Diet Coke. I found out that you can't have it after the band. So mid Oct I switched to tea. Now I am on Decaf coffee and tea. I thought that I would miss Diet Coke and caffeine but I do not. I also gave up bread Dec 1st. That was way harder to do than the drinks. I thought it would be better to give things up in stages so I would not be in shock.

Good luck.

I understand your anguish about stopping the diet Cokes... I have been addicted to Pepsi, Coke, and Dr. Pepper for 24 years. Until the week before my lap band surgery, I honestly drank 6-12 cans a day. The very last thing I had before starting my pre-op liquid diet was drink a 24 oz Pepsi. Much to my surprise, I haven't had one since, over a month and half later! Seriously, I didn't drink anything but soda, and now I'm "over it".

I never wanted to stop drinking soda because I LIKED it, but I have to say - my mindset is so much better now. I'm more able to concentrate at work, I sleep better... I'm having a lot of sucess with the band, but the icing on the cake is that I have broken a very unhealthy habit that I really didn't want to give up. I knew I had to stay away from the stuff before surgery, and after that week, I didn't crave it anymore. Now I know I can be a success!

Good luck to you! It seems like a little step, but it will enpower you to know you broke the addiction!

The foods or drinks you now enjoy may not be the same ones you desire post-banding. Don't view getting banded as requiring you to "give up" your current favorites. Look at it as a new opportunity, a gift if you will, to be "able" to exercise the willpower that eludes people like us who suffer from a "weight problem". How euphemistic, a "weight problem"; let's just call it being FAT.

In my case, many of my old time favorites, carbonated beverages included, simply lost their appeal. pizza, glazed donuts, Breakfast kolaches, bacon, sausage, fried food just don't appeal any more. I'm eating smarter, I'm eating less, when I do get carried away and consume more, it's an extra Breakfast bar.

The band is a tool, a very powerful tool, that works not just physiologically by restricting how much you can cram into your stomach, but an equally powerful psychological tool that lets you think like a non-FAT person. That's the magic of the band, in my humble opinion.

Good luck to you in your decision; hopefully, your worry about Diet Cokes will be a distant memory on your road to a healthier and longer life.

At the time i found out that i had to give pop,I was drinking up tp 6 to 7 cans a

day.Now iam pop free since Jan 24th-07. Its hard but u think about it ,,,ITs worth it.

nan:biggrin1:

Wow, if I had a dime for every thread I've read about Diet Coke...

I cannot wrap my mind around it because I DESPISE the stuff. Now, Diet Pepsi, or preferably Pepsi ONE, I can drink. But Diet Coke, ick... I do think they must put something addictive in it. On the floor where I work they removed the Coke machine and people flipped out. A huge group of folks inundated the vending services folks with nasty letter and emails to try to get it back. And they did. The whole reason? Diet Coke!

Wild! :eek:

I'm going to have a huge problem giving up V-8

I drank about 1 gallon of diet organge soda every day so i think that qualifies me as a true 'addict' ha. I gave it up with pretty much no trouble. I've missed it maybe thre times but honestly for me that was the easiest part of banding - i did flatten it once and it wasn't the same. Also my doc relaxed his opinion on carbonation and says now that afer 6months banding you can have it occassionally - just to be cautious if it hurts, don't do it and watch empty calories in carbonated beverages with calories (beer, champagne). Since banding I've had 1/2 diet soda, a few sips of champagne with no pain but I don't do it because I can live without it. Giving up bread (mostly) has been much harder for me and I try it all the time hoping it will work - lol. You may be surprised at what you can do when you have to.

Giving up soda was seriously the easiest part of this for me. I thought it would be so hard, but I don't even think about it anymore. I drink Water, Crystal Light, iced tea, etc. I still have caffeine once in a while in coffee and tea.

I am about 2 weeks out from my surgury, I had a bad loss of willpower and bought a diet pepsi, lo and behold I took one drink and it tasted awful! I dumped it all out and have not had a urge to drink soda since1!:clap2:

Diet Coke is only midly addictive.

But Diet Coke with LIME is the cocaine of coke flavours. I'm seriously addicted, man.

I'll be letting it go flat and then weaning myself off of it- IF I can...