Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight will be lost?

I know everyone is different but my dr gave me a estimate today the average person loses 60% I excess body fat.. We figured it out I'm currently 236 and would end up being at 185 or something. I'm not complaining but was just curious If anyone else heard these statistics from their dr and lost more? U would think u would lose more than 45 lbs from surgery overall but who knows. I have some people get so tiny

That is the percentage you will here from just about everywhere. With that said there are plenty on here to tell you they have gone beyond their 60%. When you get to that point it doesn't just fall off but with good eating and exercise many have succeed well past that point. :)

That's the statistics...some will lose more some less. And some will lose and then gain back to that... I'm not sure how tall you are? But I started at 235 And I'm down to 153 so far.

it's work! Trust me it's work! But I'm putting on the effort to go to 135 to 140 I'm 5'4

Edited by laura-ven

I'm 5'4

That's the statistics...some will lose more some less. And some will lose and then gain back to that... I'm not sure how tall you are? But I started at 235 And I'm down to 153 so far.

it's work! Trust me it's work! But I'm putting on the effort to go to 135 to 140 I'm 5'4

Laura,

Did you find a big difference on your weekly loss after 6 months post op. Obviously you did terrific I have been trying to figure out what it is going to be like at that point. I know I will continue to lose because I am determined to make it to goal and hopefully then some. I am just trying to estimate the amount of time it will take. Which is probably impossible to figure! :)

I'm 5'4

Oh and your young!!!

I'm 47 and trust me the metabolism has slowed WAY down.

With dedication you can get lower than 185!

It's taken me a bit longer I'm 11 months out.

But you my dear have sweet youth on your side :)

Laura' date=' Did you find a big difference on your weekly loss after 6 months post op. Obviously you did terrific I have been trying to figure out what it is going to be like at that point. I know I will continue to lose because I am determined to make it to goal and hopefully then some. I am just trying to estimate the amount of time it will take. Which is probably impossible to figure! :)[/quote']

Yep big difference after the first six months!

The bulk of my weight was lost then so I really think that has to do with the 60% thing.

you get happy with what you did and where your at and it's slower going to lose more...so some stay.

I'm happy nowadays with a 2-3 pound loss a month :P

Yep big difference after the first six months!

The bulk of my weight was lost then so I really think that has to do with the 60% thing.

you get happy with what you did and where your at and it's slower going to lose more...so some stay.

I'm happy nowadays with a 2-3 pound loss a month :P

That is what I was estimating and I think you are right. I will be very happy with what I have accomplished and will be able to handle the slower loss. I could handle 2-3 pounds a month as long as the scale keeps going down. Thanks! :)

When you think about it 6 months go by so quickly... I put pressure on myself to lose and lose fast in those first months sometimes it made me unhappy. Then at some point before the sixth month mark I told myself I'm giving it a year and hopefully I'll be close to goal and or In a perfect world, at goal...

But hey at the end of the day? As they say, we didn't get obese overnight why would we expect to lose it overnight :)

This is true I think we all put a lot of pressure on ourselves to lose as much as humanly possible in that first 6 months and play the compare game way to much. I have just started to do the OMG I am almost at 6 months and then what. I am going to back off of that game and just keep on keeping on. I will do my best and let the loss happen as it happens. I am already so happy with how I feel and I know there is more to come. The rest of my life is going to based on what I am doing now and so I should just relax, smile and enjoy. You have my permission to kick me in the #$#@ if I start posting worry crap and tell me "Remember what you said!" I think I feel liberated!! :D

I just did the math and I'm doing better than I thought. 172 lbs to lose (yeah...I know) and I'm down 99.6 lbs (that dang .4 lbs is taunting me!) My 60% would put me at 103 lbs and I should be there by the end of the month. That's a lot in 8 months. My mom told me the other day that I've lost my great grandmother lol (she weighed 96 lbs). I think after I hit the halfway mark I quit stressing over it. The weight will come off. My loss has always been pretty consistent at about 10 lbs a month and roughly 20 on a 20 day preop. I had surgery in Mexico, and considering I didn't have a nut and have done this on my own, I'm very proud of my success!

I was told the same thing as you. I am 50 and had surgery 10 months ago and am very close to the 100 lb lost mark. The weight loss definitely slows, but mine has been slow and steady all along. When the scale doesn't move, I am still losing inches and can tell in my clothes! Don't let the statistics mess with your head, if you do what is required you will lose the weight!

Edited by crickee

My stats are inmy signature. I lost about 100#in 6 months and then it took me consderably longer to lose the next 50.

I have to be honest here- be pleased at losing 60% of your excess...celelbrate it, love it, make a plan to keep it off. If you want to lose more... I did... recognize that it will take more effort,but I think worth it. First time in decades I am normal looking, medium sized woman and I am 49. Life was pretty good after losing 60% of excess but it is AMAZING now!