Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

Great job for keeping up with the list!

how do you get on the december list

Hi everyone, I was told to join this thread but I have no idea how. Anyways, my surgery is scheduled for December 30. Way to start the new year right? My new year resolution is about to come true after 6yrs woohoo. Anyways, I am a little worried because my doctor said in in border line since my BMI is 37. He said my primary doctor has to really write a good letter. Supposedly he already faxed the letter to my surgeons office. Next week I have 4 appointments. My nutritionist appointment, pre surgery class, MRA on Friday (my cardiologist requested since I had heart surgery few years ago) she does not support me on this surgery what's so ever. She's only my doctor not my mom. She better clear me on December 11 lol. And I also have my psych evaluation on Friday. Hopefully after thanksgiving weekend they will submit my paper work to the insurance (BCBS-nj) any one has that insurance? What was the wait? Do they easily deny people? I can't wait until December 30. I who it was tomorrow lol.

I have BCBS NJ and my doctor wouldn't write me a letter. The coordinator that I work with said that BCBS is one of the easiest companies to get approval from. NJ anyway. Not sure about other states. Anyway, all she submitted was, my behavioral and nutritional evaluations and a letter written by me stating why I felt i needed the surgery. She submitted it on a Thursday and it was approved on Wednesday. We also wrote that my surgery was already scheduled for Dec 3rd. Don't know if they hurry things along or not since the date was close (I doubt it tho) but they approved very quickly. I was shocked quite honestly that it was approved without a doctors recommendation. So much so, that I looked into and even booked my surgery to be done in Mexico as a self pay. Good luck to you. I hope you receive an answer shortly.

I am currently on day 4 of pro-op diet, and I had a really rough night last night. I wanted to eat something so badly. Not just anything though I wanted a cheeseburger so bad. I obsessed about it all afternoon and evening :/ I made myself crazy trying to rationalize it to my husband. He finally threw his hands up and said do what you want. I am happy to report I did not cheat. I went to bed hungry with a rumbling tummy but I did not act on my impulse to cheat even though it consumed most of my day yesterday. I decided my new mantra is *this is not forever, I will be able to eat again just not now* rinse and repeat over and over. I still want a damn cheeseburger but I am more rational about it today. I incorporated beef broth in my diet yesterday. I wonder if that is what sparked the crazy craving. I am not a sweets person really. If you were to put chocolate cake in front of me a plate of Texas cheese fries I would choose the fries. Every. Single. Time. I was hoping by doing beef broth it would help balance all of the sweet overload from the shakes. I also have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners so the past 4 days have been riddled with headaches and Migraines :( 8 more days of shakes then on to clear liquid the day before surgery. Yes I am counting every day, hour, and second. I keep telling myself this time next year it will be a distant memory. Just make it to this time next year.

* I just realized I am not sure if this post is appropriate for this thread. If it is not I apologize and please let me know where this...uhh.rant/victory/update would be more appropriate and I will move it if needed.

Thanks!

how do i get on this forum?

Hi everyone, I was told to join this thread but I have no idea how.

Anyways, my surgery is scheduled for December 30. Way to start the new year right? My new year resolution is about to come true after 6yrs woohoo. Anyways, I am a little worried because my doctor said in in border line since my BMI is 37. He said my primary doctor has to really write a good letter. Supposedly he already faxed the letter to my surgeons office. Next week I have 4 appointments. My nutritionist appointment, pre surgery class, MRA on Friday (my cardiologist requested since I had heart surgery few years ago) she does not support me on this surgery what's so ever. She's only my doctor not my mom. She better clear me on December 11 lol. And I also have my psych evaluation on Friday. Hopefully after thanksgiving weekend they will submit my paper work to the insurance (BCBS-nj) any one has that insurance? What was the wait? Do they easily deny people? I can't wait until December 30. I who it was tomorrow lol.

how do you get on the december list

Hi everyone! Just by replying to this thread, you are now subscribed and should receive updates. Either me or MinWin will add new folks to the list if dates (usually MinWin these days)!

Can't believe we have so many in December and some are soooooo close!

So exciting!

I have BCBS NJ and my doctor wouldn't write me a letter. The coordinator that I work with said that BCBS is one of the easiest companies to get approval from. NJ anyway. Not sure about other states. Anyway, all she submitted was, my behavioral and nutritional evaluations and a letter written by me stating why I felt i needed the surgery. She submitted it on a Thursday and it was approved on Wednesday. We also wrote that my surgery was already scheduled for Dec 3rd. Don't know if they hurry things along or not since the date was close (I doubt it tho) but they approved very quickly. I was shocked quite honestly that it was approved without a doctors recommendation. So much so, that I looked into and even booked my surgery to be done in Mexico as a self pay. Good luck to you. I hope you receive an answer shortly.

What was your BMI? OMG I hope this is true for me. I will type a letter then too. I really want this badly lol.

December 24, 2013 surgery

Dr. Raymond Georgen

Starting BMI 49.3

Current BMI 47.4

Copied from my first post over in the 40 something sub-heading - my summary

So, I am 47 years old and I decided (finally) I want to live. This is new......

First, a little personal history.

In 1966 I was born significantly underweight. I almost killed my Mom when I was born (I was always a handful :-) ). She ended up having a historectemy because of it. This was the only point in my life I was underweight or normal weight. Shortly thereafter I was always "pudgy" or "stocky".

In 7th grade I plumped up even more and at 5'7" entered high school at 230lbs. I kept gaining through sophomore year up to 250lbs. I graduated High School at 270lbs. The lowest I have been since 1984 was 280. The highest was (estimated 350ish) and I was there within the last 2 years.

In 2000 I was admitted to the hospital with (BS 964 - yep and I wasn't in a coma) inability to sleep, peeing all the time, and a skin infection that was pretty nasty.....yep, diabetes T2 was with me now. I remember being prescribed a diet where I could eat 2C of raisin bran and skim milk along with some fruit.....but I digress towards a scathing diatribe about 2000's accepted dietary guidelines.

Now all along I have had high blood pressure. Pretty much since high school it was high. I, being a guy and purposefully choosing to ignore the silent things, didn't do anything about it for quite a while. In early 2011 I was fatigued and tired all the time. I had also mysteriously gained 30 lbs in about 6 weeks. So I went in to the hospital "not feeling well" and when the nurse checked my blood pressure hit the emergency call channel to have me admitted immediately (240/180 will do that).....I was in AFIB and it turns out had heart failure from Fluid build up. I lost a bunch of weight after this getting down to 290 (from 340ish), getting my heart back into sinus rhythm. According to my cardiologist he is amazed at my hearts recovery back into what is considered "normal" with my pumping ability (his words not mine) "fully recovered".

So I have Hypertension, Diabetes, Hyperlipidia, borderline Kidney issues, and gout. I am on 11 medications for hypertension and 3 meds (incl Lantus) for diabetes. My Mom had hypertension really bad all her life too, died from cancer though nothing related to the heart.

And it was just a few months ago (my ability to live in denial is EPIC) I finally woke up and said to myself "I want to live"....not just live like in living to an age, I mean actually live life like this is it and not a dress rehearsal.

So here I am scheduled for surgery on Dec 24 and a self-pay to boot (direct exclusions suck).

I am a bit scared of the surgery. I am very scared of me. My ability to live in denial and ignore things that should not be ignored is well refined and dangerous. My Mom 35 years ago has a gastric bypass and she lost 150 lbs and eventually keeping 100lbs off while using OA as her lifelong counselling until her death in recent years. My Mom's sister had the same surgery lost 100 lbs and 2 years later gained it all back plus 50 lbs.....which one am I (says my fear in my head).

I have been trying to not drink 30 min before, during or 30 min after a meal....holy crap I had no idea how much I used liquids to wash food down. This of course adds to my trepidation and general unease.

So, I want to live. I have had two major health warning shots in my life. I believe the Sleeve will aid in this life change. I am a bit scared.

Thank you for reading. Now, off to read all the good info on this site. I will share more as it happens.

What was your BMI? OMG I hope this is true for me. I will type a letter then too. I really want this badly lol.

My doctor would not write my letter because she said I can control my weight with diet and exercise. Yeah ok, if that were the case I wouldn't be looking into wls. Duh. Anyway, I am also on the border with my bmi which is 34.9

I also have no other underlying symptoms like sleep apnea, acid reflux, diabetes etc...

So if your bmi is higher and/or you have any accompanying symptoms, hopefully they approve you as well. Good luck!

My doctor would not write my letter because she said I can control my weight with diet and exercise. Yeah ok, if that were the case I wouldn't be looking into wls. Duh. Anyway, I am also on the border with my bmi which is 34.9 I also have no other underlying symptoms like sleep apnea, acid reflux, diabetes etc... So if your bmi is higher and/or you have any accompanying symptoms, hopefully they approve you as well. Good luck!

Omg you just made my night because I don't have any problems like sleep apnea or whatever else they look for. My cardiologist said the same thing to me and I'm like eff u well I didn't actually say that to her but still. Now I feel more confident. Was this year right?

Omg you just made my night because I don't have any problems like sleep apnea or whatever else they look for. My cardiologist said the same thing to me and I'm like eff u well I didn't actually say that to her but still. Now I feel more confident. Was this year right?

This was last week!

This was last week!

Yayyyyyy. I have tears now. I am going to pray really hard. I really want this so badly. Like my doctor tried to say I don't even look bad? Like really? I'm a size 14. Nothing good about that. Plus I don't want to get diabetes or a heart attack

I just got my surgery date of Dec 18! I started 10/28 with psych eval, surgeon 10/31, nut 11/7. Feel like this is meant to be! Anyone else not really saying anything to most people? I just don't want to hear the negative nellies!

I am currently on day 4 of pro-op diet, and I had a really rough night last night. I wanted to eat something so badly. Not just anything though I wanted a cheeseburger so bad. I obsessed about it all afternoon and evening :/ I made myself crazy trying to rationalize it to my husband. He finally threw his hands up and said do what you want. I am happy to report I did not cheat. I went to bed hungry with a rumbling tummy but I did not act on my impulse to cheat even though it consumed most of my day yesterday. I decided my new mantra is *this is not forever, I will be able to eat again just not now* rinse and repeat over and over. I still want a damn cheeseburger but I am more rational about it today. I incorporated beef broth in my diet yesterday. I wonder if that is what sparked the crazy craving. I am not a sweets person really. If you were to put chocolate cake in front of me a plate of Texas cheese fries I would choose the fries. Every. Single. Time. I was hoping by doing beef broth it would help balance all of the sweet overload from the shakes. I also have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners so the past 4 days have been riddled with headaches and Migraines :( 8 more days of shakes then on to clear liquid the day before surgery. Yes I am counting every day, hour, and second. I keep telling myself this time next year it will be a distant memory. Just make it to this time next year.

* I just realized I am not sure if this post is appropriate for this thread. If it is not I apologize and please let me know where this...uhh.rant/victory/update would be more appropriate and I will move it if needed.

Thanks!

I think this is the perfect place for your post! Good luck for the rest of your pre op diet! Take it one minute at a time if you need to! This will be a memory soon!

Hello

This is my first post.

I started my program in September, jumped through all the hoops and lost some weight; 20lbs. , scheduled for Gastric Sleeve Surgery on December 3rd! Feeling excited, nervous, afraid and emotional all at once. Is this normal?

Hello This is my first post. I started my program in September, jumped through all the hoops and lost some weight; 20lbs. , scheduled for Gastric Sleeve Surgery on December 3rd! Feeling excited, nervous, afraid and emotional all at once. Is this normal?

All normal feelings. I'll be getting sleeved on the 3rd as well! So we can go through this together day by day.

Good to know. Time is going by too fast. I have to tell my boss on Monday that I'll be out for at least two weeks. Yikes! My preop appointment is on Tuesday and the office will be closed on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, so I'll only have one full day of work and off to surgery. I need to buy Protein Powder and get my hospital bag ready. I tthink I should make a list.