Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When you first got to maintenance

Hi everyone. I'm 5 pounds from goal and therefore starting to stress a little about maintenance. I'm even considering losing another 5 pounds for a little safety. I'm curious when you all first got to goal, what did your maintenance calories get up to? I'm 5'2", female, and my goal weight is 125. When I google maintenance calories for this, it says like 1600 calories. That seems like an awfully lot. Help!

I think you should listen to your body. Just add back a little... slowly... and see where it all works out. i don't believe in calorie math - meaning that the formerly obese are not like "normal people". I happen to be very sensitive to carbs, so I can eat more calories as long as my carbs are in check.

I weigh daily and have been maintaining pretty successfully since Feb using this method... of using my body as the feedback loop.

Hi everyone. I'm 5 pounds from goal and therefore starting to stress a little about maintenance. I'm even considering losing another 5 pounds for a little safety. I'm curious when you all first got to goal, what did your maintenance calories get up to? I'm 5'2", female, and my goal weight is 125. When I google maintenance calories for this, it says like 1600 calories. That seems like an awfully lot. Help!

You sound like me, I lost an additional 5 lbs for a 'pad'. I am actually about 7 lbs under right now. I've been maintaining for over 2.5 years, and I need 1300 calories per day to maintain. At 1400 and I'll gain, it's a fine line. I had to add 'snacks' or a couple of smaller meals in per day to be able to get 1300 in daily!! You'll have to find what works for you. I'm 54 years old, 5'7" and fluctuate between 143 and 146.5. I weigh every morning, and I log my food on my fitness pal. If I am ever 147, I cut my calories by 100 - 200 calories and it's easy to lose. I really do not struggle with maintaining, knock on wood.

I added calories slowly till it balanced out. I also weigh myself every day and if I'm over my bounce range, I cut back on extras till I'm in the zone again. I've been at a goal for 19 months. I'm 57 years old, 5'6" and weigh between 135 and 137. Goal is 135. I have only dipped under goal a couple of times.

Lynda

I added calories slowly till it balanced out. I also weigh myself every day and if I'm over my bounce range, I cut back on extras till I'm in the zone again. I've been at a goal for 19 months. I'm 57 years old, 5'6" and weigh between 135 and 137. Goal is 135. I have only dipped under goal a couple of times.

Lynda

You have done so well! I am your height and can't imagine being your weight. I'm trying to get to the top of my weight range. It is so hard.

You have done so well! I am your height and can't imagine being your weight. I'm trying to get to the top of my weight range. It is so hard.

Everyone is different. I am small chested and small boned. In my early twenties, my top weight was 124, but in my 30s weight crept up and up till in my 40s I could not get under 200. Highest weight was 260 something.

One of the keys if you want to continue losing is to find the low calorie, nutritious foods that are satisfying to you. For me, that includes lean meats, non starchy veggies, and non-fat dairy. For instance, tonight dinner was about 1/2 Tbs. olive oil, summer squash, eggplant, onion, and red bell pepper sauteed with 3 oz. lean ground beef. I threw in a little basil right at the end. Very filling and satisfying. I want something sweet tonight so I will have some very low calorie fruit drink before bed. I have to hit the need for crunchy, savory, and sweet.

Also, I walk at least an hour at least 4 days per week in maintenance. During the losing phase, I walked and did strength training exercise classes 2-3 days per week or worked with a trainer.

Lynda

When I got there in feb 2013, my weight was about 188 where my "goal" was 180. My starting weight was 360. 180 is a good bmi for my height of 5'11". Since then, my weight oscillates between 175 and 180 and I have put on a lot of muscle from working out consistently. I eat a lot of food daily. I do not count anything, but do know I eat between 200-500 calories a " meal" and eat every 2-3 hours starting at 6am, stopping at 9:00 pm. I still eat a lot of Protein, but also have kicked the carbs way up by eating steel oats 2 x a day (mixed with protein). I always try and eat lean and paleo style. No bread, sugar, dairy. Have not " cheated" since a month before surgery July 2, 2012. I think the key is to follow an eating plan that does not cause you struggle. You should not be hungry or lusting after food. Food is fuel. That being said, I do enjoy my double chocolate casein shake every night (50-60 g). First 5 bites are yummy. the rest not so much, but I eat it with a purpose: to allow my body the protein it needs to repair overnight. Currently, my weight has dropped 6 lb from last week (171), so I do need to be careful to keep it stable in terms of balancing food with calorie demands of working out. I feel pretty good about the manner in which I eat protein and veggies every few hours. It seems "normal" to me so I guess I have figured out how eating will work from now on (for me).

Maintenance calories can be all over the map depending upon factors too numerous to count (but including such things as lean body mass, activity levels, and amount of metabolic damage.) When I dropped to within 10 lb of my goal weight/body composition, I was still losing at a fairly consistent rate of 10 lb per month (and had been for the previous three months) which implies a caloric deficit of about 1000 calories, so I had a ballpark number to work toward (which turned out pretty close, as I was losing at an average of 1100 calories and am maintaining in the 2000+ range.

As for me, my maintenance calories have to be around 1200-1300 JUST to maintain but if those are not CLEAN calories ( good Protein, fats, lower carbs) I can still edge up. As others have said, it is definitely a work in progress approach and you have to find what works for you individually. Unfortunately, it took 25 lbs of regain over my 3rd year post op to find that out and work a maintenance plan for me. I used 5:2 to lose the regain over a 3 mi period, increased my walking exercise and learned to eat correctly.

As sleevers, Mist of us will never be able to eat as many calories as the normal, never been obese person. Men have greater leeway I think. Their metabolisms work a little better and more regularly than women. (Hormones). So go into maintenance with your eyes wide open, realizing this is a FOREVER goal. You may have REACHED goal but it's WORK and diligence that will keep you at goal!!!!!

Thanks for all your input. I am 5' 3" and 6 lbs from my goal weight of 130! YEA I am now eating about 1100 calories a day. I have upped my carbs to about 100-125 and 80-90 protien a day. I have been loosing very slowly all summer but the funny thing is since I have upped my carbs I seem to be loosing faster?? The carbs scare me and I've been trying to back off with no luck. Most of them are from milk products and crackers, vegtables. Should I be worried. Is there a formula for adding back our calories once we reach goal? Like 50 calories a day and if you don't gain after a month? add in another 50??? Veteran's we need your help. Thanks

Thanks for all your input. I am 5' 3" and 6 lbs from my goal weight of 130! YEA I am now eating about 1100 calories a day. I have upped my carbs to about 100-125 and 80-90 protien a day. I have been loosing very slowly all summer but the funny thing is since I have upped my carbs I seem to be loosing faster?? The carbs scare me and I've been trying to back off with no luck. Most of them are from milk products and crackers' date=' vegtables. Should I be worried. Is there a formula for adding back our calories once we reach goal? Like 50 calories a day and if you don't gain after a month? add in another 50??? Veteran's we need your help. Thanks[/quote']

I have found that to be the case for me as well. If I Switch up a dear higher carb them switch lower I will lose sometimes. And our bodies need some good carbs. It's the high processed one that cause us to gain. Whole grain once in a while. I don't" do many "whites" of any kind potatoes, bread, rice etc. Not a lot if bread of any kind. One thing to remember ( an old WW tip). THREE crackers equals a slice of bread! So beware!! ????

As for me, my maintenance calories have to be around 1200-1300 JUST to maintain but if those are not CLEAN calories ( good Protein, fats, lower carbs) I can still edge up. As others have said, it is definitely a work in progress approach and you have to find what works for you individually. Unfortunately, it took 25 lbs of regain over my 3rd year post op to find that out and work a maintenance plan for me. I used 5:2 to lose the regain over a 3 mi period, increased my walking exercise and learned to eat correctly.

As sleevers, Mist of us will never be able to eat as many calories as the normal, never been obese person. Men have greater leeway I think. Their metabolisms work a little better and more regularly than women. (Hormones). So go into maintenance with your eyes wide open, realizing this is a FOREVER goal. You may have REACHED goal but it's WORK and diligence that will keep you at goal!!!!!

I need 1300 to maintain, I do good to get that many in each day. Many days I am under by a couple of hundred. Seldom do I go over, and the times I have, it's 10 - 100 calories, never anything major. I FEEL like I eat constantly just to eat what I need to! I hope this never changes!!

I have found that to be the case for me as well. If I Switch up a dear higher carb them switch lower I will lose sometimes. And our bodies need some good carbs. It's the high processed one that cause us to gain. Whole grain once in a while. I don't" do many "whites" of any kind potatoes' date=' bread, rice etc. Not a lot if bread of any kind. One thing to remember ( an old WW tip). THREE crackers equals a slice of bread! So beware!! dde04[/quote']

Not only do our bodies need good carbs, but they need Protein combined with the good carbs in a 2:1 ratio. That is 2 units of good carb per unit of Protein. The reason for this is the carbs are needed to facilitate protein synthesis in the muscles. I do not hit the 2:1 ratio consistently, but do try to balance meals out with this in mind.

Not only do our bodies need good carbs' date=' but they need Protein combined with the good carbs in a 2:1 ratio. That is 2 units of good carb per unit of protein. The reason for this is the carbs are needed to facilitate protein synthesis in the muscles. I do not hit the 2:1 ratio consistently, but do try to balance meals out with this in mind.[/quote']

Is this the ratio for maintenance? Assuming its not for weight loss right?

Is this the ratio for maintenance? Assuming its not for weight loss right?

Yes, for when weight loss phase is burning to an end. It is just standard nutritional information.