Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What BMI do most fitness-enthusiast sleevers aspire to?

Sorry if this has already been covered... I searched the forums, but didn't find anything :).

I am pre-sleeve and filled out health questionnaires from a couple of different surgeons.. they both asked about my high school weight and my wedding day weight. Not super typical for me (obviously!!), but at those times my BMI was about 21. My lowest BMI after having kids was probably 23-24. Now it's been 33 for about 3.5 years.

Is there a BMI that a majority of adult, sleeved women seem to drift to after they get on a fitness roll?

Thanks for any insight :)!

I think the answer depends where you start. I spent alot of time at BMI of 50++ so for me, being at 25 is like a dream come true.

I am fairly muscular and and actually I think that for people who have been super obese, out blood vessels and internal organs weigh more ... so we weigh a little heavy.

People tell me I look good, I feel fit. Sure, I would like to be thinner (heck, doesn't everyone!) but I am pretty content at 25 and I consider myself to be a fitness enthusiast and very active.

One thing to keep in mind is that is your get older, being super thin can age your face... I am apparently quite vain as this concerns me alot...LOL

I went to a support group meeting last week and my doctor said this regarding BMIs.

A person at the lower range of "normal" is no more or less healthy than someone sitting at the higher range of "normal." Everyone carries their weight differently, which is why there is a range in numbers and not a specific goal weight for everyone.

Get to a size/weight that makes you happy. :). Good luck!!!

Not sure I would put much stock solely into BMI charts and weight scales. But that's coming from someone who is still not really in the "ideal" range. :wacko: Like "Nikki" says, everyone is different and carry it differently. You'll know what is a good acceptable range when you get there........regardless of the charts.

Thank you all -- aside from wanting to come down and touch a BMI of 24.9 (size 12/14 for me) long enough to get a physical for the life insurance I need (I'm an "old" mom of three under 12), I definitely don't have a magic BMI # or dress size in mind. :) I've just always been a "recreational eater" to some extent or another and my mind DOES wonder & wander to what sleevers' BMI's tend to settle down to when they get fit and transition to 'eating to live rather than living to eat.'

Thanks to all of you again-- I went back through many of the posts on this board and it is SO HELPFUIL to be reminded of all the strategies for losing as little muscle as possible post sleeve -- definitely a good reality check for someone like me who is daydreaming about what results may be looming :).

I love the attitude of "looking forward!" I'm 7 months out and would kill to fast forward another 6 months to see where I am!!

Just don't forget to live in the now too!!!

Right now my bmi is about 25 & I feel comfortable in my skin. :-)

Is there a BMI that a majority of adult' date=' sleeved women seem to drift to after they get on a fitness roll?

Thanks for any insight :)![/quote']

I'm shooting for anything 25 or under for my BMI but ultimately I'm more concerned with driving down my body fat percentage. I would like to get that under 30%.

You can calculate your bmi here:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

According to the page, "normal" bmi is between 18.5 and 24.9.

Entering my info of 5'11 and 172 lb, I get 24.

Barely scraped by. ;)

And I consider myself in good athletic/ fit form with good muscle definition and low body fat %. I could lean out more, but do not really care to. No need to be zombie man!

Bmi chart is a farce! Use body fat % or how clothes are fitting.

Yeah I wouldn't go by BMI it's been shown to be a poor indicator overall. I would have to be 190 lbs at 6"2 to be considered normal weight, I was 215 in high school when I was ripped, I would be like a stick figure out 190.

My BMI us 25; according to bathroom scale my bodyfat is 28.x%. For my gender and age those are high end of normal by the charts. Since I have visible muscle I kinda expected the BF% to be lower but figure it is something to work on during my 3rd year post op. I have it in my mind that at 49 YO woman that 25% is a good BF% goal.

my boyfriend is 6'2' and by all standards is fairly skinny at 190 his normal weight; looked sick at 170 because athletes really do carry muscle weight so I think BMI is rough guidance at best.

OP here (several weeks later:))- I'm sleeved now (11/11/13) and I have lost 33% of my excess weight in the last five weeks... But.... My body fat percentage is 39 and THAT is now what I'm determined to work on. I am looking in to getting the okay to up my daily calories to 900 with an eye towards (possibly? Maybe?) going slower & conserving more muscle (?).

Thanks to everyone for the great input!

-Rhw

PS- I've looked at several docs' web sites and there are a few who say that "excess weight" is described at whatever stands between you & a BMI of 22 (which I take with a big grain of salt !).

OP here (several weeks later:))- I'm sleeved now (11/11/13) and I have lost 33% of my excess weight in the last five weeks... But.... My body fat percentage is 39 and THAT is now what I'm determined to work on. I am looking in to getting the okay to up my daily calories to 900 with an eye towards (possibly? Maybe?) going slower & conserving more muscle (?).<br><br> Thanks to everyone for the great input!<br><br> -Rhw<br><br> PS- I've looked at several docs' web sites and there are a few who say that "excess weight" is described at whatever stands between you & a BMI of 22 (which I take with a big grain of salt !).

That "excess weight" is a funny phrase. My doc says statistics say it's whatever the high end of a normal BMI is but he views it as whatever your goal weight is (within reason). And that the "average sleever" loses 50-60% of that excess body weight. So I started at 260 and my goal is 160. If I fall into statistics I would end up at 200lbs. I decided before my surgery that there is no way in hell I'm going to be a statistic and have my stomach cut out to still weigh 200lbs. I don't really know if there is a true definition of "excess body weight"

I think the stats quoted by surgeons are really conservative to raise their success rates. There are heaps of sleevers who lose way more than 70% of their excess weight and keep it off. By the way the EWL is your starting weight minus the weight to get you to the top of the healthy BMI range. To find 70% of that multiply it by .7 and subtract that from your starting weight.

I myself have gone down to a bmi of about 20. I must say coming from someone that's been over weight most of my life it's

post-199872-0-11610100-1387089232_thumb.png

[ATTACH]38586[/ATTACH]

amazing. Now my biggest issue is finding extra smalls lol. With that said I think you should pay less attention to your bmi and more attention to how you feel cause at the end of the day that's what's important

Started@230lbs then 125lbs now ♡♡♡

Edited by Blessed Mz