Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the slippage Ratio?

Have been following some YouTube videos and one in particular has made me nervous. Skymoon1982 just recently posted she has her band removed after 4 1/2 years. She started vomiting and carrying on. She says she doesn't know why this happened. I'm a bit skeptical at hat rationale.

Can someone ease my worry ? No time for back tracking now. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Well if she started vomiting, then that's likely why her band slipped.

Statistically speaking, only 5% of serious complications occur by no fault of the patient. The rest are caused by patient behavior and mistakes. The leading causes of slips and erosion are vomiting, bands too tight, and chronic over eating.

Here's a study citing the 5% complication rate: http://www.futurity.org/weight-stays-off-long-after-lap-band-surgery/

Btw, don't take anecdotal evidence you see on YouTube or even read on forums as the gospel truth. Do your research and learn the facts.

Best wishes.

Have been following some YouTube videos and one in particular has made me nervous. Skymoon1982 just recently posted she has her band removed after 4 1/2 years. She started vomiting and carrying on. She says she doesn't know why this happened. I'm a bit skeptical at hat rationale.

Can someone ease my worry ? No time for back tracking now. Thanks!

Well if you plan on "abusing" your band and keeping it dangerously too tight, and intend to lose weight by vomiting all your food daily and have no respect for how the band is supposed to work, I would seriously advise you to NOT get the band.

The band can be very safe if it is installed properly, and you follow safety fill protocols. Vomiting with the band should be a VERY RARE mistake.

Some people will get the band and use vomiting as a "sport" and Pb on purpose, and disregard eating rules with the band since you can easily bring up food once the band gets tighten to the green zone, if you don't chew well, or eat too much.

You can DAMAGE the band by not chewing your food well and vomiting daily, or keeping it too tight, it's just that simple, YOU choose your destiny with the band in most cases, REAL complications are rare and preventative complications are HIGH.

Please take the time and read this article on how the band SHOULD work, and you don't have to worry about anyone else's band problems as long as you do what you are supposed to do and your surgeon installed it properly.

This is the best article yet on how to live with your band and how to avoid complications, read it well and follow it and you will do well.

Good luck

http://bariatrictime...1/#comment-2133

Gastric Banding and the Fine Art of Eating

Thank you Mis73 & NaNa! I feel better. I vowed to stay away from the negative and she was (skymoon) wasn't until the recent video. But you two are right you can't abuse the band. You have to use it as the tool that it was meant to be.

I've seen and read tons of success and I want to be part of that success.

Thanks again.

I follow skymoon on youtube, and she waited until she wasn't able to keep any food down at all, and was violently vomiting (for a few days I believe) before she was taken into the ER, and had to have an emergency removal. Even she herself stated that she should have known better, and went to see her doctor right away. The slip may have been prevented if she had.

Thank you Mis73 & NaNa! I feel better. I vowed to stay away from the negative and she was (skymoon) wasn't until the recent video. But you two are right you can't abuse the band. You have to use it as the tool that it was meant to be.

I've seen and read tons of success and I want to be part of that success.

Thanks again.

Yes, you have to use the band as a tool and not a bulimic device. SkyMoon's lap band probably had slipped for YEARS and she probably lived with a mild slip band for years before it got severe. She was pretty much at the END of her lap band when she suffered horrible complications.

Many THINK they can PB and vomit often with NO consequences, I am sure SkyMoon's band had slipped WAY before she had all this horrible vomiting, she only reported the horrible END OF IT, not necessarily what lead up to the horrific vomiting that she was doing (which I am sure keeping her band too tight and vomiting frequently) IT TAKES A WHILE BEFORE HORRIBLE SLIPPAGE TO HAPPEN -- it just does not happen overnight.

I've heard worse, the only thing is I thought it was only possible to vomit 50 times a day based on others who've abused their bands admitted doing, and MANY DO, SkyMoon is not a rare case...I AM SURE MANY ON THIS VERY FORUM DO THE EXACT SAME THING IN PRIVATE.

I guess SkyMoon broke a record with vomiting 60 times a day :blink: , her video is just a PRIME example of Lap band abuse revealed in your face and the consequences of it.

Never followed it, but I agree with what the others says, vomiting can and will cause abuse of your lapband.

you tube is a great resource...while it is great to know that complications can and do happen (be it the patients fault or a faulty band or a dumb a**ss doctor), it is also vital to keep in mind that not all people with bands have any issues what so ever...that is the risk we all take with having this major surgery...for BEST results, it is crucial to use the band as your doctor advises...and if someone doesnt, then all sorts of things can and do happen..and those are the ones such as this young lady who had issues...

things happen with the band and any WLS....but not always..

so yes, watch the complications they post on you tube.....but also watch the success stories of people who have changed their lives, have lost weight, and are successful with the band...i intend to be one of them in the near future.

Skymoon was VERY clear on WHY she lost her band. She flat out abused her band, knew something was not quite right and ignored all the red flags. I also posted about this very topic last week and how different my response, being a newbie, was to hers when something went wrong after an aggressive fill. I feel really bad she lost her band, but she is too stubborn & should have known not to wait that long. As successful as she was with her band, a lot of people looked up to her.

Skymoon was VERY clear on WHY she lost her band. She flat out abused her band, knew something was not quite right and ignored all the red flags. I also posted about this very topic last week and how different my response, being a newbie, was to hers when something went wrong after an aggressive fill. I feel really bad she lost her band, but she is too stubborn & should have known not to wait that long. As successful as she was with her band, a lot of people looked up to her.

Exactly -- she flat out knew she was abusing her band and came clean, "many don't come clean" they just say the band "liked to killed them" without a explanation "why".

Honestly, I respect those who abuse their bands and tell the truth, I had a friend a few years ago abused her band and she did not lie about it, she kept it way too tight and vomited many times per day, she got very skinny, but sadly she lost her band, she is not upset about, it was just "her method" to get thin, however, you can't do this with the band and expect to keep it forever.

You all have made some awesome statements. I felt the same way about Skymoon and her band. It seemed as though she teeter tottered about it being her fault and not being her fault. Nonetheless I just don't want any slippage.

How can anyone one vomit like that? ???? I hare being nauseous let alone having it "come up"! Whew!!

There are a few people I like on YouTube such as bandedwendy and lbjnieka and anume. They (so far) have been successful with no slippage.

I am thinking about starting my own vlog. Wanna be a pillar in the WLS surgery community. ????

You all have made some awesome statements. I felt the same way about Skymoon and her band. It seemed as though she teeter tottered about it being her fault and not being her fault. Nonetheless I just don't want any slippage.

How can anyone one vomit like that? 😳 I hare being nauseous let alone having it "come up"! Whew!!

There are a few people I like on YouTube such as bandedwendy and lbjnieka and anume. They (so far) have been successful with no slippage.

I am thinking about starting my own vlog. Wanna be a pillar in the WLS surgery community. 😃

I honestly don't know how anyone can throw up like that with the band, either. I've had my band for 22 months and thrown up twice during that time- once due to a strangulated hernia and once due to a gallbladder gone bad. Both times, I couldn't even bring food back up because it couldn't get past the band so I just did a lot of powerful heaving. It was AWFUL and I was terrified of the potential of damaging my band. My bariatric surgeon is also a general surgeon and took out my gallbladder. I was so scared I'd caused a band slip by all the heaving, as I was being wheeled into surgery I was pleading with my surgeon "you have to check my band! I threw up!" He literally laughed at me and goes "Honey it's not a zip tie. It's not like the band comes off and suddenly you expand 200 pounds within minutes. For now, you'll be ok until we get this gallbladder out then we'll check it". (yeah I laughed! LOL!)

No Need to Backtrack ;) But it's interesting on what Studies/reports you read how the percentages Change.

http://archsurg.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1107072

Just follow the "band rules' and you'll be "FINE"