Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can weight loss make you sick?

I know it sounds crazy, but do fat cells store bad things that get released as you lose? It seems every time I start a good losing cycle I start getting sick. It usually last 3-4 days but it can get pretty rough. Is it all in my head or is it some odd coincidence with allergies? Seems to happen no matter what season so thought I would ask.

Sorry to hear that but I always believe when in doubt, call the doctor. They always have the right answers.

Feel better. Just remember the seasons are changing.

For many years I always started a new diet right after the first week after the Holidays ended. And, very often I would come down with a cold that would delay or waylay my diet for a few weeks. After many years of this happening I started to believe that my body was having a little tantrum because I wasn't feeding it like I had for the previous 6 weeks.

Maybe this is our bodies way of coping with the sudden change? I know I'm one of those guys who feeds a cold, fever, ache and pain where my wife just shuts down when she gets sick. Does my body know I'll feed it when I'm sick??? Maybe we're lowering our immune system defense somehow but I hear ya. But I don't think it's bacteria or virus leaching from our cells when we diet. Just a way our bodies cope maybe?

tmf

I recall from my old college A&P classes that adipose (fat) tissue is very good at storing accumulated toxins. It seems reasonable that as we burn fat, we're also releasing all the crap into the bloodstream. I think the more Water ingested, the better.

I recall from my old college A&P classes that adipose (fat) tissue is very good at storing accumulated toxins. It seems reasonable that as we burn fat, we're also releasing all the crap into the bloodstream. I think the more Water ingested, the better.

My pain management doctor said the same as the above post. Lot's of toxins in the adipose tissue and he told me to expect to feel crappy as the toxins were released. I don't think this is a figment of your imagination at all.

Thanks for the comments. It does help to know i am not way out in left field. So Water consumption helps flush it? It's crazy how hard my body is fighting me on this.

I am not new to the band; banded in 2007. But i am hitting the lowest numbers ever for me right now. My clothes are getting to big. People notice. Every non-scale victory I would normally crave. I should be on an endorphin high or something but instead I am feeling like crap and fighting depression.

toxins being release is how I understood it also....more vitums and better food helps on the long run but it does take awhile to get the yuk out many of us have had it there for a loooooooong while I know I have for over 30 yrs. but love my size 12 (was a 24) jeans they make it all worth the feeling sick wprth it...lol

Hope you feel better soon and keep up the great work

i dont know if weight loss (makes one sick) but i know for a fact it makes one healthier