Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the earliest you can drink alcohol?

I'm not talking about getting hammered or anything, but I have a concert (p!nk) to go to 2 weeks post op and was wondering if that would be too early to have a drink or two?

I think you'll be alright I did a few shots 11 days after surgery and then a few beers the next night and i didn't have any problems .. Just keep in mind the alcohol might hit you harder/faster now

I agree with Mis.....you should check with your doctor. For me, I was told no drinking for a couple of months. It's like putting acid on internal open wounds.

A word of caution, though the above poster talks about drinking beer, carbonation is a HUGE no no with the band.

As our bands get tighter, carbonated drinks, such as Beer becomes a greater risk...so be careful of that as your band is prone to be irritated, swollen from surgery still....you have to learn to "Listen" to you band with all things consumed...

Have you had the surgery yet???? Two months, let alone 2 weeks after surgery I was nervous about doing anything risky....it was only after being a veteran and knowing my band on speaking terms that I can do certain things....

Alcohol can really irritate the band in a big way, I have found from experience...causing reflux at times, a true sign of irritation...I tend not to drink anything too harsh, and rarely straight....But I am also at the point that with anything I swallow, I get a certain feedback from the band and I know immediately to slow it down, and/or put it down entirely...

A word of caution, though the above poster talks about drinking beer, carbonation is a HUGE no no with the band.

Yes, and No....depends upon many things...but is very risky...especially for those just starting out..there are more important things to learn before experimenting with carbonated drinks...

I drink beer, 2-3 times a week, and sometimes 2-3 in a row...and I have my Dr.'s approval...but I have been banded almost 3 years now and learned a thing or two...

When I spoke with my Dr. about this he asked me some pointed questions to be sure I was not being reckless and irresponsible... and paying attention to the things I have learned about co-existing with the band......

Yes, and No....depends upon many things...but is very risky...especially for those just starting out..there are more important things to learn before experimenting with carbonated drinks...

I drink beer, 2-3 times a week, and sometimes 2-3 in a row...and I have my Dr.'s approval...but I have been banded almost 3 years now and learned a thing or two...

When I spoke with my Dr. about this he asked me some pointed questions to be sure I was not being reckless and irresponsible... and paying attention to the things I have learned about co-existing with the band......

I've heard you say this in various posts. But it still seems to go against what most of us were told. Believe me, I enjoy a few drinks on occasion. And as much as I love beer, I haven't touched it since surgery.....and I won't. My biggest concern is, that it seems some of the damage we hear about happens silently. Then....boom! The band has slipped, eroded, etc. If there is any possibility that drinking beer, or any other carbonated drink will cause issues down the road, it's just not worth it (for me).

I was also told no carbonation but my question is this: is drinking alcohol worth risking something happening to your band just two weeks post op? Your doctor gives you instructions for a reason and this is why people end up getting their bands removed because they don't follow instructions. I am sure if you ask your surgeon he is not going to say yes go right ahead.

i am still surprised that people go through all the steps of surgery, are advised what to do for best results, and then do just the opposite..and then tell people i did it and i am fine...well good for you..but telling and advising people the incorrect things (that drs say not to do) is just wrong in my opinion..but hey, whatever works.

melan, if you want to know if it is okay to drink alcohol after surgery, 2 weeks out, call and ask your doctor..see what they say.. i love pink also btw...hope you have a great time.

I've heard you say this in various posts. But it still seems to go against what most of us were told. Believe me, I enjoy a few drinks on occasion. And as much as I love beer, I haven't touched it since surgery.....and I won't. My biggest concern is, that it seems some of the damage we hear about happens silently. Then....boom! The band has slipped, eroded, etc. If there is any possibility that drinking beer, or any other carbonated drink will cause issues down the road, it's just not worth it (for me).

like I spoke with my Dr...How does carbonation actually cause a band to slip? I know it can, and it can be risky...and I know how so thgat is a area I avoid....I would tell 90% of the people here not to do it, based upon the information their posts......

Never heard of it causing erosion, have to think about that one...erosion can be caused by many different things.

Speaking in general, to no one in particular, but there are people here who have the "You'll Shoot your Eye Out Kid" mentality without actually thinking it through and discussing it with their Dr.'s....

Seems everything can cause band slippage....

Good for me , thanks.. My Dr never advised me not to drink anything specifically, he told me all liquids would go down like normal.. Only thing I need to worry about is to make sure I don't over due it with the calories ..

this is a forum for people to help each other through their own experiences, I'm not trying to act like some hot shot here, just trying to help based on my personal experience

Beer and carbonation is a HUGE NO with a lapband. Yes years out you can do it under certain circumstances. Yes I've had beer about 3 times in the last 6 years. At those times I was no in the green zone or anywhere near it. And I have no tolerance any more, 1/2 glass of Belgium beer just makes me sleep- so not a whole lot of fun.

Soda- again carbonation and soda is acidic so you have a double whammy there.

Erosion, slips, pouch stretching, reflux......

Sorry the beer and soda just isn't worth it.

Most of us are walking around with something that costs the same as a cheap new car. Do you really want to bash the hell outta the thing?

Thanks to everyone for their reply. Luckily, I don't like beer so I was planning on having wine or a non carbonated mixed drink. I know my doctor said drinking in moderation is fine. His concern was more about calories than it hurting the band. I was just looking for some personal experiences as I don't believe my doctor ever said how long to wait.

My doc said NO to alcohol pretty much ever again. I've got no problem with it. I think if in doubt, just don't do it.

Drinking aside, I went to a concert 10 days post-op and barely made it through the show. It certainly wasn't the most enjoyable experience I have had at a concert even though the artists were brilliant. I was still in a lot of pain and could not get comfortable.

Take care.