Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Take me to a restaurant?

Hi there, I'm starting the second week of my pre-op liquid diet so naturally I am thinking about what it will be like to go out to dinner once banded. Granted this is a fantasy for a couple of months down the line after I am healed up completely and understand how my band works, etc. Let's say I'm in the green zone. So, is this in any way what it's like to go out to a restaurant?

We sit down, the waitress comes over and we order drinks. I am not eating and drinking together, nor am I having alcohol very often, so the drink is a big deal. Maybe it's a glass of wine or perhaps a cocktail. If it's a cocktail I don't chew on the lime or eat the slice of orange. I sip the drink and enjoy every moment of it because it's a big treat. My spouse orders an appetizer and I finish sipping my drink. I need to clock it so that at least twenty minutes have elapsed before I have anything to eat. I order something high in Protein and soft -- something that will absolutely positively not cause me to get stuck. Perhaps I have ordered an appetizer. If it is an entree I will likely need to divide it to take some home or pass it over to my husband or son who will gladly absorb the extra from my plate. When the food arrives, I take a good hard look at it to determine the best approach. I am only going to have 1/2 to 1 cup and I need to listen especially hard to my body so I don't overdo it. Plus I've had a drink so I need to be extra mindful. I have ordered something very high in Protein but I love veggies, too. I may need to move things around on the little plate so I am able to go very slowly and be sure to put the fork down.

Am I over-thinking this, LOL? I will still be able to eat out, I know, but I guess it's that week two pre-op and minor anxiety about upcoming surgery that is bringing up these little worries.....What's it like when you go out to dinner?

I am 5 months out and the hardest thing for me is that something might be easy to eat one day and not so easy the next. Also, sometimes I only eat a few bites of what hubby is having or get a small salad or Soup. Im still learning though.

it took me awhile to figure out how to order. I don't order anything fried. I have learned to go with an appetizer like shrimp or a half chicken Caesar and then pick the least fattening vege as a side. If I have a craving for red meat I look for a "petite sirloin" which is usually about 4 oz and I cut it in half (same with a plain burger)and give the rest to someone else or take home to for a meal another day. You will find that eventually you can change your old habits and a normal plate of food can seem overwhelmingly huge.

I eat out all the time and order everything except fried foods. i will taste a fried item but not as my meal. I never order a drink but have one in the car for my ride home and it will be after 1/2 hour after eating. I order according to the type of restaurant. Where I live the Chinese restaurants have combos all day and I bring 1/2 home and order brown rice with it.

Italian the other day I had a salad, 2 end pieces of bread (I don't have the doughy parts) with butter or oil, meatballs and Pasta. I took home most of the whole wheat pasta.

I order salmon a lot with veggies and bring home 1/2. For burgers, I may have 1 to bites of the bottom of the roll and eat about 4-5 oz.

I have pizza, thin crust 2 slices or 1/2 of a bar pizza, which is big in my area. They are very small and thin crust.

I never have alcohol. That was a no-no I was told but talk to your doctor. Up to him/her.

One thing I can't chew anymore and being from NE, is lobster. I can eat shrimp, though. Also for red meat, filet is the most tender and the only one I can chew real well.

Hope I helped you.

Hi friend!

So the biggest test for hubby and I after our bands was we had a HUGE event for my nieces communion! It was about 2.5 weeks out from our surgery date and we were just moving to mushy foods.

As you know there are all kinds of appetizers and Pasta and salads etc that come with one of those sit down affairs. So while the cocktails and appetizers were circling the hubby and I had our sweet tea mio mixed into nice tumblers with swords and ice cubes the bar tender was so happy to comply.

We socialized and chatted through the salad, and then gave the Pasta dish to the kids. When the dinner was ordered, even though my father's girlfriend offered to take our dinners home to her "friends" (didn't love that comment too much) we ordered the fish dinner which we were able to mash up to a mushy consistency with our forks and we ate and enjoyed the event like everyone else.

I go out to eat ALL the time! I'm always working or having to attend one function or another lunches or dinners.

I order from the menu like everyone else. Some places know I"m coming and bring me a to go cup for my drink which is usually UN-sweetened ice tea.

I don't hesitate to order steak or chicken, always grilled and lean. Fish is always an excellent choice as well as Western or Spinach omelet.

I am careful while I eat, and I allow my guests to speak while I chew. I try to put my fork down and wait to swallow before taking the next bite and if I need to speak I stop eating and do so. I find that doing those together do not work for me.

If there is food left on my plate I ask to have it wrapped but I don't separate the food first so as not to appear rude depending on the company I am in. I am careful to eat only what I am hungry for and to stop when I am full.

Don't be afraid to eat out, just follow all your band mechanics of eating and your fantasy's will come true!! I love the band it's my life time partner now :wub:

I go to a restaurant and eat what I want and as much as I feel like eating. I don't order chicken unless I know it's going to be moist or served with some kind of sauce to help it slide through easier. I seldom order steak because I can buy it cheaper at home and I cook it better than most restaurants. I make exceptions for Capital Grille or Morton type restaurants but those are once every 2-3 year jaunts. I'm also very careful with breads or bread type appetizers.(one of just a few foods on my limited list of foods my band dislikes)(your food list may be diff)

I pay no attention to the drinking rules some doctors require. In fact, I almost never drink and eat at home but I always drink and eat at a restaurant. There are few things worse than getting stuck in a restaurant and have to painfully watch others consuming mass quantities of food. And I do mean painful. Why ruin a family outing with a stuck episode?

Bear in mind I only eat out maybe 8-12 times a year so I'm not going to deny myself the pleasure of a good meal or ruin a good meal by adhering to home rules. The band will still keep me from eating too much food which is why I had the surgery in the first place, so, over-indulging rarely happens.

tmf

I take a couple sips of Water before the meal arrives and I mean only a couple of sips , then we talk and laugh while waiting for food and I try to choose well and ask how things are prepared to make sure also I don't eat bread only cause my band wont allow me to as it is a big expanding filler and if I eat a corner of bread without the crust I can not eat anything else or I will get stuck , therefor I try to choose wisely and when the meal comes what ever I can't eat I give to others and if the portion is to big then I can share part with others or take it hoe and eat the other half another day or let someone else have it.

Thanks so much every one -- worried about the silliest things just now. I do love a good restaurant experience once in a while. For me that's a beautiful piece of fish some one else prepared and yummy veggies. Or a hamburger no bun. Don't really eat bread much now so I'm figuring that will be probably off my list a good long while. And I'm already terrified of rice and I don't even have my band yet!

It is so far in the future -- this is called banking anxiety. And anxiety is a bad investment. Ack. Off to the hospital for last pre-op crap. More blood tests in case I have wasted away after one week on shakes. Hello? I could live on just my fat for a year.

I tried not ordering anything to drink, but that usually ends up with some weird looks. So I just go with Water by default, however I don't even touch it.

In the last year I've become a vegetarian and you'll rarely find an unchewable piece of tofu or vegetable. Soups are by far my favorite thing to have out. I'm more adventurous out now as well: Pho, Indian, Japanese, Greek.

When I did eat meat: rare filet minon was my go to for dinners out, and NJ has great steak. It's close enough to Philly and NY to go out for dinner.

I think its alot of trial and error. No two days are exactly the same for me and you will quickly learn what foods you should not eat at a restaurant. For me it's chicken or sushi. Just relax, take your time and enjoy your upcoming banded life! :)

I only order Water when eating out but otherwise you will learn what your body will take easily and what might get into a stuck episode and then avoid the problem foods but if you don't eat out often then just enjoy it. remember you want to eat right, but we're going to have special times we want to let go and enjoy, even skinny people do it, remember Portion Control and be mindful don't go crazy but don't over think it either! Good luck and don't worry

I waited about two months til I went out to eat. Of course in Texas it's always Mexican food. I (rule breaker) have always drank with my food. I liked beer but gave it up month before surgery. But margs on the rocks or wine no problem. I always order corn tortillas (flour tortilla not my friend). chips and salsa ok. Limit it all. I always share my plate with someone else. Worked for me. In 10 days I will be banded 1year. Met my goal of 85 lbs by august. Good luck to all!

I am still afraid to go out to eat, I used to eat out 3 To 4 times a week, now That I am over the addiction i don't want to open that door again. As per different food I can eat, i've been trying everything here and there, so far so good... Haven't try lobster yet, which I love to eat. Next week is my birthday so, I will be eating out, I' ll let you know how it goes.

I am still afraid to go out to eat, I used to eat out 3 To 4 times a week, now That I am over the addiction i don't want to open that door again. As per different food I can eat, i've been trying everything here and there, so far so good... Haven't try lobster yet, which I love to eat. Next week is my birthday so, I will be eating out, I' ll let you know how it goes.

I couldn't chew lobster. Good luck. I got stuck even with the claw and my husband got 2 lobster rolls while I walked around a restaurant. I can eat and chew well cold Water lobster tails.

Happy birthday next week.

Hi there, I'm starting the second week of my pre-op liquid diet so naturally I am thinking about what it will be like to go out to dinner once banded. Granted this is a fantasy for a couple of months down the line after I am healed up completely and understand how my band works, etc. Let's say I'm in the green zone. So, is this in any way what it's like to go out to a restaurant?

We sit down, the waitress comes over and we order drinks. I am not eating and drinking together, nor am I having alcohol very often, so the drink is a big deal. Maybe it's a glass of wine or perhaps a cocktail. If it's a cocktail I don't chew on the lime or eat the slice of orange. I sip the drink and enjoy every moment of it because it's a big treat. My spouse orders an appetizer and I finish sipping my drink. I need to clock it so that at least twenty minutes have elapsed before I have anything to eat. I order something high in Protein and soft -- something that will absolutely positively not cause me to get stuck. Perhaps I have ordered an appetizer. If it is an entree I will likely need to divide it to take some home or pass it over to my husband or son who will gladly absorb the extra from my plate. When the food arrives, I take a good hard look at it to determine the best approach. I am only going to have 1/2 to 1 cup and I need to listen especially hard to my body so I don't overdo it. Plus I've had a drink so I need to be extra mindful. I have ordered something very high in Protein but I love veggies, too. I may need to move things around on the little plate so I am able to go very slowly and be sure to put the fork down.

Am I over-thinking this, LOL? I will still be able to eat out, I know, but I guess it's that week two pre-op and minor anxiety about upcoming surgery that is bringing up these little worries.....What's it like when you go out to dinner?

i order the best/most healthy option they offer...eat my allotment and enjoy being out with whomever i am with....eat slow, chew alot and enjoy life...

:wub: