Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have always sucked at diets but...

I think I have come to a point in my life where I am ready to be out of bondage to food. Anyone else out there who was a bad dieter but has been successful with this new tool?

I think I can speak for about everyone here, we have all been there and done that.lol

Tried every diet in the book, failed every diet in the book.

LBS is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Let me make one thing clear though, it is not a miracle device. It does take work and it does seem like another diet at first ( until you have enough fills). You can work with this tool, or you can find away around it. Live by the LB rules and you'll do great.

The best thing you can do is research and educate yourself on what the band does and does not do.

Best of luck!

I think I have come to a point in my life where I am ready to be out of bondage to food. Anyone else out there who was a bad dieter but has been successful with this new tool?

That is EXACTLY what the band has done for me...it has changed everything there is wen it comes to eating....

NO Hunger...no interest in food, no cravings, tastes for foods have changed 180 degrees...many foods do not appeal to me anymore.

SMALL portions....cannot overeat - impossible...can only eat so much and then I am done....

NO Fear of ever gaining weight or being fat again...I hear many people say this, but for now, I cannot imagine how that can happen to me as long as the band is there doing it's job...if I am never hungry, and it is impossible to over eat???

STEADY Weight loss....with very little struggle...easiest thing I have ever done...if you read the above, what is so hard???

FREEDOM from Diets, Counting Calories, etc, etc...This is a new lifestyle...NOT another diet! I eat very little, and very seldom...all I need to do is make wise intelligent food choices and I'm set.

Speaking for myself, I refuse to call the band a tool....a tool is something I Use...like a hammer, I am in control and can choose when to use it or not at all.. if I had that type of control, I would have failed at this a long time ago....

In my case, I want and HAVE the band to be in complete control of me...making it impossible for me to ever cheat, and ultimately fail....

Having said all that, I have lost all the possible excess weight that is healthy to loose...eating "Normally" again, my body simply and gradually returned to a a healthy state of balance, weight and fat%...and as long as the band is in control..(not me)..I will continue to live a effortless life style having created new habits where i do not even have to remind myself anymore of what is needed to be done.

This is obviously not the way everyone follows the band...it IS ADJUSTABLE enabling it to suit the path you choose to follow with it. There is no right or wrong.....it is how YOU choose to live with it along with you Dr.'s guidance for your success, and no one Else's...that is what it is all about after all...your decision and your health/weight loss....

For me..it IS a Miracle Device! Nothing could have been better or easier...granted, I could have the band adjusted differently, changing the ground rules for me...but I am extremely happy with this point of perfect balance....and when people say it is difficult...it is difficult for them..and should not say it has to be difficult for everybody!

So much for my rant, off to the gym at 5am....

I remember being on a diet for at least 30 years or more.. Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers (multiple times) Medfast, Metabolic, Dr. Cooper who prescribed B12 shots and speed.. (no kidding), HCG was the latest craze.. lost 50 lbs quickly but put it back on and then some just as quickly...felt like hell.. I don't think there was a diet pill or supplement I did not try.. spent thousands of dollars on all of it.. It's no wonder my body didn't know whether it was pitching or catching ... Deciding to get Lapband Surgery was my last resort to finally getting healthier and happier.. My health was failing fast.. diabetes getting out of control, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.. I would spend most days sitting in my chair, watching tv and sleeping.. what a life... Lapband has saved my life.. I have lost enough weight to send diabetes in remission, my blood pressure and cholesterol have dropped to normal.. It is hard for me to realize that not even a year ago I was so miserable.. If you follow the rules and make an effort to eat good Protein and keep the sugar to a minimum you will succeed.. It is a change in lifestyle more than a diet..

its not about bad dieting..its about us not having control..that is why i got super morbid obese...i chose to overeat unhealthy foods and not exercise..having this band surgery gave me the strength and belief i needed that i lost because of one after another failed (diets)...any wls works if used correctly by what the doctor advises them..for best results, its vital to listen to the doctor and eat better foods, exercise, stop making excuses, when we can (can if we want)..and then let the band work...it does and it can and it will work........if used as intended.

wishing you all the best.

all of the above stands for me also..its is easier to stay with this eatting program and that was always my problem before...best thing I ever did for myself.

I am loving this thread! Thanks so much for posting. The comments so inspiring. I am just about to begin and the thing I'm looking forward to most is the change in relationship with food. Like getting out of jail. For me, though, one small point of clarification. I was a good dieter. Still could not do it, however. That's why I need this band. No more deprivation for me -- nor the swing the other way and having too much. Just an easy, gentle approach to food as nourishment in small amounts with plenty of time between meals. I don't want to be thinking about what's next all the time and having more. I'll let you know how it goes. Not expecting overnight success but a trend in the right direction is going to get me there one pound off at a time.

Thanks for everyone's comments on this post! Extremly helpful. I've been lurking on this board for a long time....reading and reading, I am in process for baratric surgery, which one I have not yet decided. I have type 2 diabetes and that is the main reason I want to loose weight. Many say the RNY is the best for diabetes, but I believe any weight loss and exercise will help knock it out!

I start my 3 month weight management program required by my insurance in January(I was suppose to start last week, but had a scheduling conflict so moved it to january.

I orginally wanted lapband, then switched to RNY (I also have GERD), but the closer it gets to making this a reality, the lapband is really what I want.Normally when I behave my GERD behaves too. I like that the band can be adjusted as needed. I like that it has little recovery time compared to the other choices, and I like that I can still be "normal" in the fact that I will be able to eat what everyone else is having but on a MUCH smaller scale.

Anyone have GERD? Can you tell me about your experience with the band?

Thanks for everyone's comments on this post! Extremly helpful. I've been lurking on this board for a long time....reading and reading, I am in process for baratric surgery, which one I have not yet decided. I have type 2 diabetes and that is the main reason I want to loose weight. Many say the RNY is the best for diabetes, but I believe any weight loss and exercise will help knock it out!

I start my 3 month weight management program required by my insurance in January(I was suppose to start last week, but had a scheduling conflict so moved it to january.

I orginally wanted lapband, then switched to RNY (I also have GERD), but the closer it gets to making this a reality, the lapband is really what I want.Normally when I behave my GERD behaves too. I like that the band can be adjusted as needed. I like that it has little recovery time compared to the other choices, and I like that I can still be "normal" in the fact that I will be able to eat what everyone else is having but on a MUCH smaller scale.

Anyone have GERD? Can you tell me about your experience with the band?

It really depends on the cause of your GERD. If it's something fixable, like from a hiatal hernia, then that can be done at the same time they place the band. If the GERD is from something that can't be fixed, the band may not be the best option for you. Acid reflux is very bad with the band because it can cause erosion. So, talk to your doctor for sure before making a decision.

On a personal level, my brother wanted the Lap Band but he also has GERD that isn't fixable. Because of it, his surgeon has recommended the Sleeve for him because he'd be at high risk for band erosion.