Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me band fam, is it all worth it? I'm not scared nor nervous, I'm just ready to do this.

Before going to college in 2003 I was 163 standing at 5'5. I love my size and was very comfortable within myself. By 2004 sophomore year I was at 202, I said, "I still look great!" By 2005 I weigh 223, 2006 I was at 236; I never thought I was going out of control. By 2007, I had climbed up at 247, I then decided it was time to lose the weight, so I worked my butt off by eating less, healthier, and working out 7 days a week, and twice a day. Thus, I went to school full time and worked a full time job (Retail). Eventhough I did, I manage to make time and get into shape. By summer 2008, I was a whopping 142.3, well that change after I met my now ex, but boyfriend at the time. He was free spirit and ate any and everything. I mean we would eat out "EVERYWHERE" fast food galore.

By 2011, I had weigh 258. I couldn't believe it! People would see me.and say, "Wow you've gotten big." However, to me I was healthy because I was happy. But, I learn quickly it's not true, and definitely its unhealthy.

By the end of my relationship I ended at 276 (2010). Today 2013, I haven't gain anymore weight, but I haven't lost either. I'm tiredof doing the "yoyo diets." I've gone down in the last 2 yrs, but I've found myself going back up to the high 270's. I'm tired of being tired, so I decided WLS is the best thing for me. Yes, its only a tool I have to put in the work. I'm willing and ready to commit to this life long journey. This is why I asked, "Is it worth it?" I'm sure it is, but how has it work for you? Your progress and etc?

Btw: The relationship didn't end because of the weight, just to let you guys know. Hell is was 300 when I met him and bigger after I left. We had our difference, also he didn't want to change for the better. "I guess old habits die hard." He like being big and smoking "Pot" all day (5 months after we started dating)...so I said, "Bye."

Your story is my story. Up and down weight over the years. VERY good at dieting, horrible at keeping it off for any length of time. I truly spent much of my adult life either on a diet or thinking that I should start one, and feeling bad about that. I am a couple inches taller than you and fluctuated from 130 to almost 240 and in more recent years could not get under 180 no matter how hard I tried,

I researched WLS for 2 years before getting banded 1/18/2012. Was it worth it? God, yes.

I really can't explain the power and control it gives you over eating, but it is the first time in my life I can eat like a "normal" person. And maintain!

I am currently maintaining at 160 pounds, and I am pleased as punch.

In my opinion, I think the band works very well for those who have dieted successfully in the past (because it does require following a diet of sorts). The key is that you don't gain it all back immediately (I don't know about you, but I could lose 10 lbs in a month and then gain 5 back in one day?!!) and with the band, that just hasnt happened for me. I've lost slowly, but it's always been a downward trend for the past 2 years.

I hear your frustration, and been there. Yes, the lap band helped me. Tremendously.

Is it worth it??? It changed, AND saved my life....I too have dieted for over 30 years...up and down, always failing and feeling more down about myself than before...and my medical issues are, WERE too numerous to mention....WERE because they are all gone!

So I NEEDED WLS as a last resort...to do what I was unable to do with dieting on my own....surgery to correct my eating habits and personal behavior....And I can not be more pleased with this new life I now have....

For me, I have lost all my excess weight, reaching a good muscle mass and body fat %, all without dieting, counting calories, or any of that stuff that used to drive me crazy....this is truly the easiest thing I could have ever done....

I don't even think about the band, or feel I even had WLS, or the constant worry of loosing weight anymore....people all around me are always commenting how they need to go o a diet etc, etc, and when I hear this it brings a big smile to y face....NO MORE of that for me....

Granted, the first 3-6 months were very hard and frustrating, because the band is adjustable and it can take some time to get everything...including myself and my behaviors, in perfect balance with one another...it can be difficult, and I read here people never finding that balance and always complaining about gaining their weight back, uncontrollable hunger, etc, etc...Most of it, IMO is because the band is adjustable and that is where they choose to be....but it does not make it right or wrong, it's where everyone wants and how to live with it....

But I love it...it is indescribable and way beyond my expectations....it really is a new lifestyle, I never worry about overeating and being fat again....

(cannot ignore the band, and it calls for some routine maintenance...but other than that...)

Everyone will have a different story, because everyone IS different, and have their adjustable bands set to their desire...that does not make anyone right or wrong....it is a very flexible thing and it all comes down to how you want to work it...that's another thing people like about it as compared to other surgeries....it is more flexible...

It is worth it! I lost 100 lbs and eat to live, not live to eat. i maintain and at 65 am happy and healthier than I was for 20 years. I lived a yoyo life, also. I was on blood pressure mends, cholesterol meds, others. I am off all meds except Vitamins, now!

Absolutley, Positively worth it... I am 66 years old, had been on thousands of diets.. Like B52, I had to have WLS to save my life.. I was diabetic, high blood pressue and high cholesterol..after losing nearly 55 lbs since January with the band I no longer take any medications.. I am able to enjoy life .. I can actually walk without panting for breath, I can tie my shoes,, It's not easy but it's doable... I feel in control for the first time in 30 years... I was always small, 5' 0" .. and weighed 93 lbs when I married my husband.. 38 years ago.. I gradually went to 200 lbs. over the years of dieting , losing and regaining for years.. It was the best decision I ever made and I feel confident that as long as I do my part, the band will do it's part...

10215960154_2f6664fb71_m.jpg

yep, def worth it...i went from the pic in red who could hardly walk and had trouble wiping her butt to the image on the right who now does step aerobics..down from size 30 pant to that size 16 in the picture..

the band/plication

not only saved my life and gave it back to me to enjoy

but gave me something i thought i'd never see again...myself

It's hard work friend. Your not going to wake up and be back to that college size but if you invest the time in yourself and take it one step at a time and have the commitment and perseverance that having the band requires you will be one of the many success stories I read about and one day hope to be!

Having a good sense of self and body image even at a larger size is a great benefit to you. You will be able to take things easily and work to improve your health and well being and the weight loss will follow.

It has been only 5 months for me, but I can tell you even through all the hard work it's been MORE then worth it to me and my husband. I would do it again tomorrow if I had to.

I wish you all the best on your journey!

Thanks everyone for their stories, inspirations, encouragement, and honesty. I appreciate it all to the fullest. I also, thank you for the picture...you look amazing. I wanted to reply to each person, but for some reason I'm having trouble dgoing that with my phone. I apologize to everyone that have left me a message. You guys are doing great and I am truly looking forward to this experience and sharing it with you all. Thanks!!

;)

CG I love ur posts! Your before and after are so impressive! U rock girl!!

I am 9 days post op and I already think its worth it!

for me its worth it, and i was a cash pay no insurance. but let me tell you that this is no easy fix I know people who are getting weight loss surgery and say to me " I can still eat what i want but I wont be as hungry and won't eat as much, so i'll lose weight". I don't think so....

let me tell you, you'll probably lose weight for a while but if you don't make a lifestyle change it will come back, I Have seen this happen with several people.

so its worth it if you do it right!

Good luck You'll do great!

I haven't had the procedure yet, but I'd still like to add my two-cents as to what has been resonating in my mind as I am deciding whether or not to go through with WLS.

Having any kind surgery is a risk and pretty scary BUT my chances of losing weight and having a healthier life are so much high, whereas if I continue on the path I am at not (alternating between shoveling food down my throat and yo-yo dieting) than the chances are even higher that I'll continue to develop health problems including high blood pressure, diabetes, blowing out my knees, joint pain, etc. To me that's so much scarier than WLS :(

IYou'll have to decide for yourself of course, but to me, i feel like WLS is worth a shot, versus if I stay where I'm at and allow my body to continue to turn against me and become my executioner.

I have never done something for muself that was more worth it , I wish I had done it 20 years ago down almost 45 pounds so far

I have never done something for muself that was more worth it ' date=' I wish I had done it 20 years ago down almost 45 pounds so far[/quote']

Congrats on your 45 pounds down. Man I am so excited about doing mine. Can't wait and start this new lifestyle change for the best. Thanks!

I haven't had the procedure yet' date=' but I'd still like to add my two-cents as to what has been resonating in my mind as I am deciding whether or not to go through with WLS.

Having any kind surgery is a risk and pretty scary BUT my chances of losing weight and having a healthier life are so much high, whereas if I continue on the path I am at not (alternating between shoveling food down my throat and yo-yo dieting) than the chances are even higher that I'll continue to develop health problems including high blood pressure, diabetes, blowing out my knees, joint pain, etc. To me that's so much scarier than WLS :(

IYou'll have to decide for yourself of course, but to me, i feel like WLS is worth a shot, versus if I stay where I'm at and allow my body to continue to turn against me and become my executioner.[/quote']

Your are right. I know this is the best thing for me. Go hard or Go home...I'm going hard. I'll take my chances with WLS then bring morbidly obese. And the Dr. said I was. Thanks for your response.