Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Metabolic Rates and calorie burning

Today I went to my surgeon's office and had a metabolic test. This test measures your resting metabolic rate to see how many calories you burn while you are resting, while you are active and while you are exercising.

I found the whole experience to be very interesting and to be a very worth while test for those that are able to take one.

I learned that you actually burn the most of your calories for the day doing nothing but resting. Simple breathing and relaxing burns off more calories then you burn killing yourself in the gym for hours on end.

If you walk for 30 minutes you are burning a max of 200-300 calories. Resting, I am burning over 2000! Doing simple every day activities like walking to the bathroom or up the steps I am burning over 600!

The key to weight loss is to burn more calories then you consume. For those of us that are banded we should be consuming less then 1000 calories a day.

The key to obtaining a faster metabolic rate is not so much the cardio output as it is the lean muscle mass. So for those of us that can't run the marathons, or even walk very far, pick up the hand weights or just move your body up off the chair or off the couch.

If you sit down and stand up 5 times you are lifting the equivalent of your current body weight 5 times and creating more lean muscle. So the answer really is to just get up and move. As you increase your strength and muscle mass, start adding resistance in the form of resistance bands or weights and you will be well on your way!

I am writing this sitting up straight in my chair, clenching my abdominal muscles and lifting my legs off the floor to pump my ankles a few times! increasing that muscle mass, sharing the info with you all and getting some work done at the same time!

Happy Thursday!

Yes it always depresses me how few calories are burned in a long walk or run.

You just made me sit up straight and get my pelvis tilted properly, neck back! What an interesting test, too! Fascinating, these human bodies of ours. Here's to that lean muscle mass and feeling good inside and out....whoops, just had to sit up straight again.

Lisacarson, not everyone is the same, and caloric intake will vary greatly from person to person. I, personally, can tell you at 2k per day I will easily lose the 1-2lbs per week.

Also, walking/running for 30 minutes will burn an EXTRA 200-300 calories (as you say) over what your body will already use for 'life support'. I have triple checked the following numbers off various websites:

Walking for 1 Hour - Burn 250 calories

Everyday life for 1 Hour - Burn 85 calories.

PLEASE, PLEASE check your information before you post information that is completely inaccurate. Yes, you burn most of your calories throughout the day resting, but that is because you spend 95% of the day resting (assuming 1 hour of exercise). If we lost weight simply by sitting on our arses, then none of us would be here in the first place :P

First of all J I was not exploring any one else's or the "average" metabolic rate. It was a PERSONAL assessment.

I don't need to check the "internet" or web sites for information on this because the test the doctor performed was personal to MY metabolism only.

I would never say exercise is not important to life

Especially for those of us that are here, however the point was that you do not have to go to they gym and kill yourself for hours on end. Simply MOVING is enough to help you start to burn and raise your metabolic rate if you do not have any other metabolic issues.

There are some at the beginning of this journey that can't even walk let alone hit the gym. For them simply moving is enough to help their metabolism to burn more.

Strength training and lean muscle burn more over the long haul then hours and hours of cardio alone.

Please read the post as it was intended before passing judgement.

I offered my experience in having this test and how I was advised what is best for me and my metabolic system. It's a good test if your surgeon offers it. To assist in the journey as we become more mobile and fit over time.

I learned that you actually burn the most of your calories for the day doing nothing but resting. Simple breathing and relaxing burns off more calories then you burn killing yourself in the gym for hours on end.

If you walk for 30 minutes you are burning a max of 200-300 calories. Resting, I am burning over 2000! Doing simple every day activities like walking to the bathroom or up the steps I am burning over 600!

Lisa, I read your post, and the above quote clearly states "breathing and relaxing burns off more calories then you burn killing yourself in the gym for hours on end." THIS IS NOT TRUE. So maybe you meant different, but that is not the way it reads.

Lisa, I read your post, and the above quote clearly states "breathing and relaxing burns off more calories then you burn killing yourself in the gym for hours on end." THIS IS NOT TRUE. So maybe you meant different, but that is not the way it reads.

Explain how you can state THIS IS NOT TRUE. Here is a copy of the test results that are true for me, along with the explanation. Your body burns more at rest doing nothing over the course of a day then it does after an hour in the gym.

Which is not to say you should not have a formal exercise routine, but which is to say that you do not need to kill yourself for hours in the gym to benefit or achieve a high calorie burn. It is the lean muscle in the body, not the amount of cardio or aerobic activity that is the key.

Mmm...due to site upgrades I can't seem to post these clips. Once things are back online though I will post them and then I'd like for you to explain your point to me, since you seem to be telling me that not only am I wrong, but so are my doctors.

well, i was one of those when i had this surgery, could barely walk...i did what i could and that is/was good enough for me.....i say as long as one is moving in oxygen, at their fitness level, then its all good.

that is just how i see it...

i exercise at my fitness level and do not care how many calories i am burning as i know me moving/exercising is making a helluva difference...i am however, 100% aware to not take in more calories than i can burn off...

so far, so good.