Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just filled again: Leak? New Procedure?

It's been nearly a year since my last fill. And I switched to a new doctor for fills. Anyway my band was missing .4 cc. It was supposed to have 3.1cc in it and only 2.7 came out. So that's kind of odd. I've never had that happen in my 6 years with the band. It could be why I felt like I needed a fill and was loose.

Also- the new Dr. does fills so differently. He connects a longer needle to my port, then a long hard plastic tube then a syringe with the saline. And he fine tunes the fill from there, leaving me connected while I swallowed Water to see if it went down.

My previous Dr would just give me a shot in my port.

So what's the norm these days for fills?

Anyway- I'm hoping I don't have a leak in my band or port.

This is exactly how my doctor does it. I'm always confused as to how much I actually have in my band. The during says one thing but the nurse says that semester stay in the tube. This could be why you have recorded different amts. nurse says that when she draws it out that some is in tube.

I only had one fill but this is how my PA did my fill.

It is not unusual to have up to 1cc missing from your last fill volume. The port system is under a vacuum and Fluid can be left behind when the doc withdraws the Fluid. I would not be concerned over 0.4cc. Some docs will pull out, resinsert and pull out numerous times to get air out allowing the maximum volume of fluid to come out. But don't be alarmed unless it is a substantial amount of fluid missing. Also if the fluid is yellow/murky, you've suddenly lost restriction (or in some cases lose it over time but it's evident) than consider a leak.

Seems like every doc has their own approach. Next time, have them explain why they do it that specific way. No harm in knowing their rationale :)

The new doctor repeated pulled the Fluid in and out to get it all out. He also explained why he fills the way he does. It was just very different from my other doctor.

My concern is that well, .4cc is significant when I only have a 4cc band. I know some people have the 10cc band, but mine isn't that large. And .4cc makes a huge difference for me personally. Given that I pay out of pocket for each fill it does matter.

I agree with Hazel. As long as you have restriction or getting near restriction, I would not be concerned with the amount in your band. I used to obsess about it and ask the doctor to tell me every visit how much was in there to "double" check. He always played along, but, I finally decided it is just a number.

Hope that makes sense.

KAREN: my surgeon requires one day of liquids for 24 hour period AFTER fill. He does not have any "rules" for day before or day of fill . . . just AFTER he adds.

Good luck on your journey.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches