Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you drink before your meals?

I was told I could drink right up to my mealtime but then had to wait an hr after. I read somewhere, where it's necessary to have an empty pouch, no liquid in it, why?

Donna,

The following is just from my experience...not to replace anyones doctors advice. Just a disclaimer for those who may disagree :)

My surgeons recommendations USED to be nothing to drink 30 minutes before, during, and for 30 minutes after eating.

In the last couple of years, the drinking BEFORE a meal has been relaxed/eliminated from my surgeons recommendations. It is an ever evolving thing though...I guess thats why they refer to it as a practice... constantly learning what works and what doesn't.

Still nothing during, or for 30 minutes AFTER eating is the recommendation. I normally have nothing to drink WHILE I'm eating, but I can easily tell when its "ok" to drink most of the time. For me, thats usually within 5 minutes after eating. Now if I didn't chew good enough....well, you probably know the results...another learning episode in the books.

Almost time to break out the Big Blue sweaters and jerseys! Best wishes!

I was wondering where you had been my Big Blue Friend and yes I am ready to put my Blue on!!!

Thank you so much for the response. I go tomorrow for a fill, thank God, and he just got back from Vegas from a conference on Banding so maybe he learned something new, we'll see. He took his whole office staff. Thanks again.

In my experience, I can drink right up to eating with no problem,......drinking while eating, since my portions are dictated by my band, and I eat so little to begin with,

I do not want liquids to take the place of food......drinking after eating, since food is in my pouch passing through, If I suddenly add Water it increases the volume of what is already there...causing great pain (Pouch dilation? Possible slippage?) and since it is now over filled, it generally comes right back up ...not always desirable.....Dr. said wait an hour after eating, but I too can also tell when it is safe.....for me it is usually 20-30 minutes....

There are people here that say they can drink while eating with no problem, or that drinking will wash the food down....remember, the band is adjustable and not everyone has the same experiences with food and the pouch/band, restriction, Green Zone etc, etc........when I was first starting out I could do just about anything, and "The Rules" did not seem to make much sense........now I have to be very careful and follow certain rules or else! And drinking while eating is definitely one of them.

I, also, drink, (but mostly take sips) before meals. I try to keep the after meals to a minimum. I try to follow the 30-60 mins after. Sometimes its hard to do. But generally, if I take a drink, i ts only a sip to clear my palette! Karen

Before meals only a sip to wet the mouth and only of really thirsty

During the meals NEVER

After the meals.... NEVER I wait at least 30mins as well

I drink before .. not alot .. I wait at least 30 min or more after.. following the Dr's instructions .. so far , so good...

I too drink right up till I eat... nothing while I eat and I wait 30 min after

Actually, I had heard this long before being banded. It keeps you fuller longer. I believe society has forced us to accept us to flush our food with drinks, soda, beer and wine. When I had originally heard this, I thought it was crAzy. But then I was a lot heavier too. My doctor said the reason was so not too flush out your pouch and so to keep you fuller longer.

I drink up until time to eat. I then abstain from drinking until 30-60 minutes after I eat. I have had many friends that drink and eat with meals continually dilate their pouch and they have had terrible weight loss. That's reason enough for me to wait.

Right now I am no where i never drank while eating even before the banding, but my problem, now is i have my mind set not to eat that i am not hungry , i ate something small last night and full me up was banded on Oct 7 2013 so not sure when i should start to eat i was told by my doctor eat next day nurse told me wait a few days still have no desire to really eat. i had a Protein Shake earlier today just to maintain health. am i the only one feeling like this or not.

All Dr's have different instructions.. I was not allowed to eat "real" food for 3 weeks,, started with Clear Liquids, full liquid then puree'd food and then mushy stuff like scrambled eggs, refried Beans. Make sure your Dr wants you to eat this soon.. you are still healing that is why you are not hungry.. ..

I drink before, during, and after meals even though I was instructed not too. Hasn't been a problem, ever.

I started by not drinking with meals and I find that I can't drink with meals now.