Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just a general question about habits

hi, this isnt brought up as a criticism of anyone. it happens to unbanded people in fact it is why i want one in part, regaining weight. hitting your goal, something in your life changes and we start gaining again. what surprises me is reading about people who are banded that get an unfill and report gaining quickly 20-30 lbs or more.

the apprehension i have a week or so out from getting my band is ridiculous, i'm not only afraid i'll overeat and damage the band but the really disturbing thought is i'll miss being able to over eat. i should mention the flip side of that thought is liberating, being free of that sick feeling and life revolving around food.

so, with the band do habits really change, do some of us too easily revert to overeating when restriction is removed or is there a long term change to metabolism that results in weight gain if we return to eating normal amount of calories?

That's a good but difficult question.

The simplest way to put it- the band doesn't change your behavior at all, it's your job to change your behavior.

Very often, band patients do revert back to old behaviors if they haven't deal with the psychological aspects that lead them to obesity to begin with. There is a saying around here "the band goes around our stomachs, not our brains". If someone is eating for a reason other than physical hunger then they need to deal with that issue because the band can't change that.

Another reason it's imperative to deal with the psychological issues of obesity is because the biggest weight gain "comfort foods" are also slider foods. Slider foods are foods that you can eat a ton of because they essentially liquefy when you eat them so they slide right through like the band isn't even there. For most of us (including me), chips are a slider. So is chocolate and ice cream. Some baked good are too- I found this out when I made homemade sugar Cookies last Christmas. When it comes to slider foods, you can easily binge and really sabotage your weight loss efforts. It's a slippery slope and one that really needs to be dealt with.

What the band does do is allow you to be satisfied on much less food for much longer periods of time. Essentially, it controls hunger. This helps significantly for two reasons- it's a lot easier to eat less food and you're not so pre-occupied with food when you're not constantly hungry.

If the band is removed, or Fluid removed, it is common for weight gain because all the sudden your appetite comes back with a vengeance. Last summer I had to have a total unfill for surgery (not band related). I got out of the hospital and I swear I was starving. I mean... my stomach was growling hungry all the time. I didn't gain weight during that time but boy it wasn't easy. Getting my band refilled couldn't come quick enough. If I'd had to stay like that long term, or worse lost my band forever, I have no doubt I'd gain weight.

My personal feeling is, the better mentally prepared you are for the necessary changes with the band the better off (and more successful) you'll be.

Best wishes.

Well I can answer from a point of view as from someone who has lost 50+ pounds. I've attempted to do so on my own. But couldn't. I know like 6-7 banded patients and one sleeved. A couple I work with. I have been watching them since before I was banded. What I have noticed with them, is they have not really changed their habits. Sure some dieted, but when they hit goal, it was their excuse to gorge. Now, I really want this in a bad way. I have my reasons, first and foremost is my health. I am off all meds I was on before. I was near the point of becoming diabetic. Also because of my health, if it got worse, I could have lost my job, so that's the other reason. Lastly , for me! I haven't been perfect, I've been in situations when there Are no real healthy edible options. And I've cheated. But here's the thing, you have to learn moderation, know what things set you to eat, and pick healthier options. But most important is exercise - it's an eight letter word which is difficult at times to do, but if you do it, it's the best thing you could do for your body. There are so many things I've Changed about myself that I won't go back on. Like drinking pop. I only drink Water now. In fact I hate the taste of anything diet now. So water pretty much is my drink. I don't do caffeine anymore either. It was so hard for me to give it up, I figure why go there. All it does is dehydrate your body and that in itself makes you hungry. These changes were huge to make. I try to eat better, lots more chicken and fish too. I believe deep down inside, we all know what we need to do. It's just doing it. I know for the times I've cheated, I'm just hurting myself. Therefore, I've been actually cheating less. I think when the time comes for me when I hit goal, I will Celebrate. I will go shopping, or treat myself to something nice, or maybe I will have a dinner of what I like. But whatever I do, I won't go overboard, especially when it comes to food. I've worked so hard for all these changes. And to give them up just so I could eat crap everyday.....?? I don't think so. I know I want this. I watch people eat, bad carbs are like an evil drug. And I need to stay away from them, if I want to live to be an wise and sassy chick. I don't know if I answered you right. Or got off subject, I'm on my phone and it's hard to see what ya wrote. I hope this helps. And by the way, I have no regrets either.

It's been just over 6 months since my surgery, and I've gotten to the point where I don't think much about eating in between meals. I do have a snack in the evening, but during the day......rarely. I can also say that I'm not cured of the obsession to eat. But what I've learned from trial & error since being banded, is that if I push it, I'll be uncomfortable. I had plication done with the band, and I really think that acts as a secondary stop mechanism. There have been times when I've certainly put it to the test, but there is no way on earth I could ever eat the way I did before. And putting it to the test isn't a binge; more like a few extra bites, or an extra snack at night.

Weekends are the time I usually have a few extra calories. We go out to eat for almost every meal, and though I follow the eating rules, I may allow myself some popcorn at the movies, or a few bites of a dessert my husband might order in a restaurant. My actual meals are so small, that I haven't experienced any weight gain since surgery. There are days when I feel like it was a "bad day", but when I calculate it, I've had only 1400 calories. Maybe not good for loss, but certainly, not enough to gain. So now, "bad" has a whole new meaning.

Mis is so right on about working on the psychological issues surrounding compulsive overeating. I've dealt with this affliction since the age of 6 (52 years!!), and I can honestly say, though we can choose differently in any given moment, and the addiction may feel dormant, it never really leaves. That is why we need to be diligent to our program on a daily basis. Doesn't mean we'll always be perfect, but if we're good 85% of the time, we will have life long success.

hi, this isnt brought up as a criticism of anyone. it happens to unbanded people in fact it is why i want one in part, regaining weight. hitting your goal, something in your life changes and we start gaining again. what surprises me is reading about people who are banded that get an unfill and report gaining quickly 20-30 lbs or more.

the apprehension i have a week or so out from getting my band is ridiculous, i'm not only afraid i'll overeat and damage the band but the really disturbing thought is i'll miss being able to over eat. i should mention the flip side of that thought is liberating, being free of that sick feeling and life revolving around food.

so, with the band do habits really change, do some of us too easily revert to overeating when restriction is removed or is there a long term change to metabolism that results in weight gain if we return to eating normal amount of calories?

An excellent question, which tells me that you are strongly engaged in understanding what you need to do to make your weight loss journey a successful one.

The major part of weight loss success is the psychology behind your eating habits, and changing your relationship with food. You have to "get your head in the game", and become aware of your thoughts and everything which goes into your mouth.

For many obese people, the reasons they are obese is because they have used food to cope with their feelings and life stress, or even boredom. They likely have lived to eat, not the other way around. We must adopt the mindset that we eat to live.

We need to develop alternative coping skills to modify our eating behaviors. Instead of reaching for empty calorie junk foods when you feel the need to eat, reach for your walking shoes and exercise clothing.

Another aspect we need to modify is understanding the difference between "head hunger" and authentic hunger. When we are experiencing head hunger, we must learn that there are alternatives to eating. I now have the most organized closets and drawers ever...projects around the house are wonderful to distract my thoughts and keeps me busy on things which I will appreciate later.

I have had my band totally unfilled since June, and I have managed to continue to lose weight. I had to take more responsibility for managing my hunger and make a commitment to exercise on a regular basis. It is working for me. Also, for the first 14 weeks post op, I did not have any fills, and also lost weight. I was using the same mindset I have now to continue my weight loss journey.

My reward will come when I reach my goal weight, but I am not focused on my goal. I stay focused on taking a day at a time with compliance to following Bandster rules. For me, that is what helps me to maintain a serene but determined mindset for success.

Others mileage vary on all topics, but this is what has continued to work for me.

Best wishes for a successful journey...

Seems like this topic has been answered very well but Ill chime in. I'm with you on being apprehensive before surgery. I didn't consider canceling but I was terrified of what my new life was going to be like. I got on this forum and started reading all the bad stuff that can happen. Funny, my doc never told me any of that stuff. Anyway, I thought very hard about what I was doing. I was scared if I didn't make a change I would fall back into my same old rut and really never change. It had happened so many times I new it would happen again. However, I am very fearful of all of the issues that come with the band. Follow me on this psychology thought process as it gets confusing here. I weighed the options of being banded or not. I ultimately decided that I was more scared of the complications with the band. So, I chose to do the band. Crazy sounding right? I knew that by getting the band I was forced to change my habits. If I don't wont the band complications to happen I have to change. It's not an option. I have to change. My old habits have to change. I have to follow the rules and change.

Others mileage vary on all topics, but this is what has continued to work for me.

Carole - love the tag line :)

PS I actually did cancel my surgery, I probably would be closer to goal, I wound up having it 6 mos later. I wish I didn't cancel. But I did, now I'm not looking back.

You need to get your mind right, BEFORE. being banded.

I worked with a guy (400 lbs), got a full by pass. Lost 125#, and gained it all back.

I used to see him come back to work with a Wendy's

bag.

duh!

I made up my mind and changed habits before surgery. Lost 40 # before surgery. I know I can lose the next 40, 50, 60 with the HELP.

Ask your self. Why do I want to lose?

I am with 5.0junkie.

I am afraid of what it will be be like if I screw up AFTER SURGERY. I had a sleeve BTW.

I have discomfort swallowing small sips of Water and broth. I do not want to think about what meatball sub would feel like!

thanks everyone for your responses. i understand your thoughts, i still wonder if there is some long term change to metabolic rate after an extended period of very low calories.