Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's pretty common after any surgery, especially when you couple it with weight loss.

First and foremost, be sure to get in all your Protein daily.

Some people (like me) find that Biotin helps too. I take 5000mcg daily.

It should stop on it's own and regrow but it just takes a little time.

Best wishes.

For a whole year BEFORE surgery I was losing my hair and it had me so depressed. I've always love my full-volume, crazy, curly hair and I couldn't even accomplish my signature look which was that wild, untamed, but well kept look. Surprisingly, after surgery my hair has stopped falling out, and I have lots of "baby hairs" growing which makes me look funny sometimes. I will have to blame my Protein intake AND my daily Vitamins. I take them religiously. One piece of advice: try not to worry so much about it because that only perpetuates the issue. Instead, go and see your dermatologist. They will probably put you on a 6 month treatment which includes Biotin pills. Also, there are shots that the dermatologist can inject in your scalp to help with this issue. I've been using a sulfate-free Shampoo (expensive) but I have no idea if that's contributing to the re-growth. Best wishes!

I started to shed at the 4 month mark. I go through this about once a year anyway, so I can't honestly say that it's from the surgery. But given that this is a common side effect, I'll assume it was. It lasted about three weeks, and has subsided now.

I'm with Mis on adding Biotin. I take it along with my other supplements; also 5,000/day. I buy it at Trader Joe's.

Oh boy me too! Crazy the amount of hair that I see fall! It's normal to shed up to 100 strands a day..but I can pull fist fulls of hair out when I shower or brush.

It's finally starting to grow back. I have some fine baby hairs under the longer strands that have stayed. I also take the Biotin and Vitamins..and use Nixoin shampoo/conditioner.

The Protein seems to be the big key though. Really try to up that and get it in through out the day. That will slow the fall, and help the regrowth.

Best of luck to you!

Me too! And it is scary! I am on Biotin but it is still falling out like crazy! Up'd my Protein intake to 100. Still not helping! ?!?!? :/

Just one more thing about hair loss to everyone....

Once the Hair loss has started because of surgery it's very hard to stop or slow. It's because of the chemicals used and being put under general anesthesia. When you're put under, the anesthesia shuts down all the non-essential functions of your body, including sustaining and growing hair. Because of this, it's very common for months after surgery to suddenly lose hair. But again, the hair loss will stop and it will regrow.

If the hair loss is from lack of nutrients and weight loss, it's a lot easier to reverse by changing your diet to get the essential Vitamins you're missing.

Either way, don't expect an improvement overnight. It takes months.

From what I read and my doc told me.... Biotin won't make your hair grow but it will make the hair you have remaining fuller and healthier. I still take it and probably will forever because it has also helped with my brittle nails. Make sure you get your Protein in. Hair's primary ingredient is Protein.< /p>

I am not a doctor. Just a dumb ass with a computer.

From what I read and my doc told me.... Biotin won't make your hair grow but it will make the hair you have remaining fuller and healthier. I still take it and probably will forever because it has also helped with my brittle nails. Make sure you get your Protein in. Hair's primary ingredient is Protein.< /p>

I am not a doctor. Just a dumb ass with a computer.

Hey us dumb asses gotta stick together!! :D

I really started shedding about a month ago, which was 4 months post op. Some days it seems to come out in clumps. I had to give my vacuum a hair cut the other day! I went through this with my divorce 2 years ago too. Stress plays a big factor, so try not to stress, it goes hand and hand with weight loss and it will grow back with time. I think I'd rather be bald than go back to the way I was before (unhealthy!)....

I am at the 5 month mark and losing like CRAZZZZZY! I have been taking Biotin, I'll try anything. I've upped my Protein and keeping my fingers crossed. I can't believe I'm not bald. I hope this stops soon!

The Nioxin really has helped my hair start growing back in. It's not as thick as it was by any means and that stuff is expensive but it's working!

Nioxin is a hair treatment system for those with fine thin or thinking hair. It promotes scalp care to help the regrowth of hair after things like surgery and or stress that might cause Hair loss.

Helps to protect and strengthen the hair that remains as well so hair loss is stemmed.

It has really worked for me. I use the Shampoo and conditioner only for color treated hair and I have tons of new growth and while I still shed a few strands that has slowed considerably.

Most salons or beauty supply stores will carry the product as well as pharmacies like CVS. The product is expensive. $25 for shampoo. $25 for conditioner. They are not very large hotties either.

Leaves my hair strong and thicker and soft as silk. I was about to chop it all off and then tried this. My sister in law used it after chemo for breast cancer to help her hair grow in and sh was right it has worked for me.

Nioxin is a hair treatment system for those with fine thin or thinking hair. It promotes scalp care to help the regrowth of hair after things like surgery and or stress that might cause Hair loss.< /p>

Helps to protect and strengthen the hair that remains as well so hair loss is stemmed.

It has really worked for me. I use the Shampoo and conditioner only for color treated hair and I have tons of new growth and while I still shed a few strands that has slowed considerably.

Most salons or beauty supply stores will carry the product as well as pharmacies like CVS. The product is expensive. $25 for shampoo. $25 for conditioner. They are not very large hotties either.

Leaves my hair strong and thicker and soft as silk. I was about to chop it all off and then tried this. My sister in law used it after chemo for breast cancer to help her hair grow in and sh was right it has worked for me.

I am definitely going to try it, thank you!!

I had 2 surgeries and then massive blood clots in both legs this spring. If the surgeries weren't enough, they pumped me full of a ton of chemicals while in the ICU for the blood clots.

My hair is really awful because of it. I had to get it cut short because it was breaking off so badly and falling out. I do see considerable new growth, even my hair dresser commented on it, but it's still falling out despite it.

I'll be heading to CVS this afternoon. Thanks again! :D