Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a rant today about getting on that scale every day to see what you weight and wrote a whole blog post about it. Please read and give me your thoughts...

http://www.debbieposton.com/scale-intervention/?fb_source=pubv1

I had a very similar blog post a few weeks ago. It's crazy how we focus so heavily on that damn number. I still check every day, but I allow myself the usual fluctuations each week and only REALLY count my Friday number.

Good luck =)

i don't even get on the scale. i only care about the scale when i see my doctor once a month. that's the weight that is important. my scale at home and the doctor's scale don't even match up. if i go by my scale it just starts all the mind games for the day. i figure if i am following my band rules than the weight will come off. my doctor is happy with 5 lbs a month.

I think the scale can be your best friend or your worst enemy. For me, in my dieting days before the band, I would allow the scale to dictate my day and my life. If the scale was down from the previous day, I'd be happy as a clam, eat well, do all the right things. If the scale was up, I was done. I'd eat like crap since the scale was up anyway, I'd be done with that weeks diet, and not step on the scale again for days, weeks, and sometimes months until I began the next one. I did this for years and years.

I told myself before I got my band that I was NOT going to do this to myself anymore. While my goal was/is to obviously lose weight, the biggest thing is to be healthy. As long as I eat right, and follow the rules, I'm doing good regardless of what the scale says. I DO weigh myself every morning, but I do it to keep myself accountable, and remind myself what I'm working towards. I no longer get angry when the scale moves the wrong way, I only record when I have a loss...sometimes I have one 3 days in a row, sometimes it's 2 weeks in between losses. I'm ok with that! No need to live and die by what the scale says! There's so much greatness that comes with this journey...I've said this many times, but it's the way that I feel, and the NSV's that I truly love most!!

I get on the scale everyday. I didnt before and now i"m paying the price. I dont need a doctor's visit to tell me if I've gained or lost, I damn know. Waiting for a week or end of the month is too late. We've all done this and that's why we belong to this forum. To each his/her own!

I had a rant today about getting on that scale every day to see what you weight and wrote a whole blog post about it. Please read and give me your thoughts...

http://www.debbieposton.com/scale-intervention/?fb_source=pubv1

Great piece; thanks. I can so relate. I think I'd better get rid of our scale for a bit, maybe put it out in the barn.

I weigh every morning, every night. If you understand how food, exercise, fluids affect your body you won't go mental over a few lbs here and there. If you don't weigh but once a week and you're up 5 lbs at the end of the week, how do you know which foods affected your weight gain? Quick gains of 1-3 lbs are often just the body retaining Water from exercise, sodium or too many carbs and can be easily shed by changing our sodium or carb intake.

This is a very complicated issue for some. I suspect more women may be victims of the kind of self-deprecation that comes from monitoring success and failure at the scale too closely, rather than just seeing the data as an indicator. So much feels at stake at that moment when the number is about to appear.

All of you have VERY valid points. I just think it's time to change the way we look at the scale... It has always been our enemy. We are always waiting for it to turn on us....lol.

With the band, we can start believing more in ourselves and not putting our trust in that scale and it's stupid numbers. I'm going to try trusting my doctor and my boyfriend and give it a few weeks of only weighing on Friday to see how it goes...