Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI to start - 29

I am considering this surgery and am looking for anyone else who might be on the light side of "obese" when they had this surgery. I am not looking for naysayers to say I shouldn't do this because I "only" have 40 pounds to lose. I have lived with this weight situation my whole life and I am so tired of it. I am ready for a big change! I am just looking to connect with someone else who started on the lighter side! Thanks!

Hi specialkai, I barely scraped in with a BMI of 30, but my surgeon really wanted to push towards the band on the day of surgery for this reason (I was told def no surgery if I was BMI 29.9)

I only lost 17lbs and have regained that, as I really don't have restriction. I don't know if Dr Lopez Corvala gave me a loose plication because he considered me a 'light weight'. I really do believe that this surgery does seem to be more effective on people with higher BMIs.

To be honest I think you might struggle to get a reputable surgeon to operate on you at your BMI. I've read about Dr Mario Almanza in Tijuana performing WLS on people that are only overweight and not obese, but I've read quite a few reports about post op infections and complications, etc, so you'd have to research long and hard about that.

Dr Cirangle in Cali operates at a low BMI according to this thread http://www.verticals...ill-having-vsg/

I have no knowledge about this doc so you'd have to investigate further.

I would seriously consider the VSG rather than GPS, as plication hasn't worked for me at all. And really look into getting a reputable surgeon as you shouldn't be cutting costs where your life is concerned.

All the best.

I am considering this surgery and am looking for anyone else who might be on the light side of "obese" when they had this surgery. I am not looking for naysayers to say I shouldn't do this because I "only" have 40 pounds to lose. I have lived with this weight situation my whole life and I am so tired of it. I am ready for a big change! I am just looking to connect with someone else who started on the lighter side! Thanks!

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that others are out there with lower end BMI's. I'm at 196 right now. Lost 9lb per Dr. Huacuz requirement to lose down to 195 before gastric plication surgery. I am supposed to have the surgery in late December of this year. Passport just came yesterday, airfare is paid for and will be paying the rest of the surgery fee next month. I have my week before surgery diet ready - Protein Drinks 3 times a day for 1 week before surgery. Of course it had to be Christmas week that I am on a diet BOOOOOOO. but really looking forward to losing the weight in the next year. I get the feeling that it may be slow since I didn't start out super overweight. but slow is better than not at all or keep on gaining. I just wonder what pit fals I don't want to fall into after the surgery that could sabotage my weight loss. LIke Worthers butterscotch candies. :) Any comments on this from anyone?

PM

My BMI was 29 also. My surgery was 1/23/12 and I have only lost a total of fifteen pounds. I went to Angelos Hospital in Tiajuana. It was a terrible place with frightening lapses in universal precautions. I do not have as much restriction as I expected; I can easily eat 6-8 ounces. That is definitely less than before and if I were more dedicated to exercise and good food choices I would lose more weight- though if I could do those things I would not have needed to spend thousands and subject myself to the risk of surgery.

My BMI was 29 also. My surgery was 1/23/12 and I have only lost a total of fifteen pounds. I went to Angelos Hospital in Tiajuana. It was a terrible place with frightening lapses in universal precautions. I do not have as much restriction as I expected; I can easily eat 6-8 ounces. That is definitely less than before and if I were more dedicated to exercise and good food choices I would lose more weight- though if I could do those things I would not have needed to spend thousands and subject myself to the risk of surgery.

I also went to Angelo's. Hospital DR lopez Corvala, was the surgeon, March 8 2012, they were great, the room was nice, nurses were great, the only thing I have that was a negative was the language barrier in the beginning, then got a translator.

It has been 2 weeks now, finally on some solid food, I am down 24.8 lbs.

I still have a shake for Breakfast, cottage cheese or chicken for lunch, salmon, peas, and 3 baby spoons of potato, supper, tonite i had 1/2 cup potao Soup, and a 1/4 of a toasted ham sandwich, this fills me when I chose these for meals.

I am having probs getting Water down, but hopefully that comes in timr

I had Gastric Plication in March with a BMI of almost 35 before my pre-op diet. I lost 15 pounds during the 2 week liquid pre-op diet, and have lost a total of 40 pounds to date. I still need to loose another 20 to get to a "normal/healthy" BMI. After the first month, where the pounds just seem to melt off, begins the work ... I am currently losing about a pound a week and I am OK with that! Talk to your doctor and follow your heart!

I have battled weight my entire life. Although, never obese, I was over weight. Like most everyone interested in weight loss surgery, I was tired of fighting so hard and seeing so little results. My pre op BMI was 29.

When I first started researching my options I found some physicians here in the US that would Do a sleeve for around $14,000 and had a very long delay before I could even get in for a consult let alone book surgery.

Since I was willing to pay cash anyway-vs insurance I decided to look into my options in Mexico.

I decided on Dr Ortiz in Tijuana. I paid about half of what the US quoted me and I was able to get the surgery much sooner than anyone offered me in the US.

I got a Gastric Plication. The surgery center was very clean and the staff was very nice. All of the Drs spoke English fluently.

It has been 6 weeks since my surgery and I have lost 25 lbs. I hope to lose another 8-10

The surgery center has been very good following up with me and this forum has helped me quite a bit also.

I would do this surgery again in a heart beat! I am so thankful to finally have results after a lifetime of food and exercise issues.

My husband was not thrilled with the idea of me having the surgery, or going to Mexico for it- he is a surgeon. But my husband is now appreciating the change in my appearance as well as the change in my attitude!

I weighed 161 before the pre op diet and 157 the day of surgery. Today I weigh 134 and I am 5'3"

Dr Ortiz said I was such a good candidate for the surgery because of my dedication and enthusiasm for exercise.

I wish you luck in any decision you make, please let me know if you have any more specific questions!