Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Told me I have a Fatty Liver. HUH?

Hey...I had an ultrasound of my abdomen yesterday that showed a fatty liver. Now they want to do some sort of test to check my gallbladder.---------I haven't had RNY, but I did have the band since 07.------------I did what most people do in the "off" hours, check medical sites. Nothing is conclusive until I see my Dr and she tells me, whatever... But I must say I'm scared. I do not drink a drop and rarely ever did, but you can still get Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, especially if you weigh what I do. I've heard that surgeon's won't or can't do bariatric surgery if you have fatty liver. Then I read that the experts suggest 'slow" weight loss to recover. And then I saw an article Alex posted that in Germany, they find that fatty liver is dealt well with with WLS. What's the TRUTH? My WLS Clinic appointment is not until November, I'll go crazy before then! -------------has anyone on here had a fatty liver? Oh, and they say change in diet helps but does not cure. I don't know what to think. And as far as the Gallbladder, I have no inkling as to what THAT is all about. I'm having bloodwork asap (don't know if it's a fasting one yet) , maybe tomorrow or Saturday. Any input???

Hi,

I actually have non-alcoholic fatty liver and that was my surgeons reason for suggesting WLS. He took my gallbladder out in Nov. 2012 and noticed my liver and said that weight loss could reverse it.

I wasn't sure if I had it or not but before having my band put in I had to do liquids only for a month to shrink my liver as much as possible. My surgeon appt isn't under 10/25 for the surgery and my surgery is scheduled for 11/5. But, i'm about to start pretty soon on liquids only on my own because I know what is about to come lol

Hey...I had an ultrasound of my abdomen yesterday that showed a fatty liver. Now they want to do some sort of test to check my gallbladder.---------I haven't had RNY' date=' but I did have the band since 07.------------I did what most people do in the "off" hours, check medical sites. Nothing is conclusive until I see my Dr and she tells me, whatever... But I must say I'm scared. I do not drink a drop and rarely ever did, but you can still get Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, especially if you weigh what I do. I've heard that surgeon's won't or can't do bariatric surgery if you have fatty liver. Then I read that the experts suggest 'slow" weight loss to recover. And then I saw an article Alex posted that in Germany, they find that fatty liver is dealt well with with WLS. What's the TRUTH? My WLS Clinic appointment is not until November, I'll go crazy before then! -------------has anyone on here had a fatty liver? Oh, and they say change in diet helps but does not cure. I don't know what to think. And as far as the Gallbladder, I have no inkling as to what THAT is all about. I'm having bloodwork asap (don't know if it's a fasting one yet) , maybe tomorrow or Saturday. Any input???[/quote']

Most of us have a fatty liver before the surgery. That I shy most docs tell you to do the liquid diet before the surgery. It shrinks the liver so that the surgeon can have a better look at his surgical field. As for the gallbladder most rny patients have it taken out within a year post op. So having it checked out now is a good starting point. Some doc will vent take it out at the same time they do the rny.

Yes I was also put on pre op high Protein diet to shrink my liver. Most surgeons do this and most of us had fatty livers. Don't worry so much about it. I still have my gallbladder but many patients need it removed at some point. I read 30% end up needing it removed though when I asked my doc he said its much less than that. I figure it a small price to pay if it goes bad down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Hm, good info. Makes me wonder, though, if fatty liver is all because we are obese? I also read that it could take a year or more to actually shrink a liver. Then why did you all say the Doc put you on a "diet" to shrink it? I'm not even due for the consult till November, am I doing more damage to the liver by not being on all the diets you're on? The articles say that a fatty liver can get worse and turn into other things if gone untreated. ------------- I'll be checking with my PCP, or GI (who ordered the ultrasound in the first place, looking to find out something about this illness I seem to be suffering with at the moment) but I love to turn to you guys first, during and after health issues arise. :wub: . Just scared I can't have the RNY due to fatty liver (in this case, I hate the terminology!) and/or gall bladder issues. But like one of you said, it's good I'm finding out now, for several reasons. God you guys are helpful!

I also have a fatty liver, my doctor never said that because you have a fatty liver you cannot have the surgery. I am scheduled for surgery on October 23, and start by liquid diet on October 9. That is what scares me the most, the liquid diet, I hope I can do this. How do all of you get through the liquid diet?

We ate too much junk for years and years so most of us had fatty enlarged liver. Following a liquid diet shrinks it enough for surgeon to do a better job operating, as your stomach hides behind the liver. So if the liver is smaller, safer for you and doc.

Just follow pre-op liquid diet to the t and you will be fine.

Yes I was also put on pre op high Protein diet to shrink my liver. Most surgeons do this and most of us had fatty livers. Don't worry so much about it. I still have my gallbladder but many patients need it removed at some point. I read 30% end up needing it removed though when I asked my doc he said its much less than that. I figure it a small price to pay if it goes bad down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I needed my gallbladder out before I considered the rny- I found out I had gallstones when they did an x-ray for my back pain two years ago. A year later I had my first and only horrible, horrible gallbladder attack. Afterwards I had made an appointment to see a surgeon about removing my gallbladder and then postponed it because I decided to do the weight loss surgery. My wls surgeon wouldn't combine two surgeries because the risk of complications rise dramatically. It's still there, like a time bomb waiting to go off again. I talked to my surgeon at my 4mos post-op appt and we decided to remove it. It's coming out Jan 16, 2014. It's probably better this way - by January I could be down 100 pounds and well within a healthy weight range, making the surgery easier. :-)

I have fatty liver....rny can help reverse this process in the long run. Fatty liver is very common in obese people....talk to your team or GI doc about it. The pre op diet is not to reverse fatty liver disease, just shrink the liver and make it more pliable.

I have fatty liver....rny can help reverse this process in the long run. Fatty liver is very common in obese people....talk to your team or GI doc about it. The pre op diet is not to reverse fatty liver disease, just shrink the liver and make it more pliable.

Thanks SO much for the clarification! I feel better now knowing more about the fatty liver! :)