Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Must haves for post op?

Surely someone has asked this before but I can't find anything. I don't want to go crazy buying a bunch of stuff I don't need and won't use but I want to be prepared with the things I deff WILL need post-op. Can you all help a girl out by posting what is was you felt you couldn't have lived without post-op?

What I already have:

Small bowls

salad plate (small)

Water bottle

shake mixer

Microwave bacon cooker (thinking ahead lol)

Freezer bowls for storing leftovers so I don't constantly have to cook (thinking ahead again lol... no broth freezing will be done lol)

medic alert Bracelet

what I know I still need to get:

PPI (like prilosec)

liquid or chewable vits (gonna ask my office which they recommend b4 I buy)

Gas X

Kinda trying to go with a less is more attitude but want to make sure I have what I'll NEED. Any advice appreciated :)

Surely someone has asked this before but I can't find anything. I don't want to go crazy buying a bunch of stuff I don't need and won't use but I want to be prepared with the things I deff WILL need post-op. Can you all help a girl out by posting what is was you felt you couldn't have lived without post-op? What I already have: Small bowls salad plate (small) Water bottle shake mixer Microwave bacon cooker (thinking ahead lol) Freezer bowls for storing leftovers so I don't constantly have to cook (thinking ahead again lol... no broth freezing will be done lol) medic alert Bracelet what I know I still need to get: PPI (like prilosec) liquid or chewable vits (gonna ask my office which they recommend b4 I buy) Gas X Kinda trying to go with a less is more attitude but want to make sure I have what I'll NEED. Any advice appreciated :)

Vitamins

Vitron c

Multi vitamin- Centrum makes a liquid

Biotin To listen hair loss

B12

Calcium

Perfect portions oatmeal with no sugar added

Applesauce

sugar free pops

Jello

chicken broth

Measuring spoons and cups

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored will give you 20 grams of Protein and you can put it in your favorite beverage... I put it in my sugar free hot chocolate

Vitamins

Vitron c

Multi vitamin- Centrum makes a liquid

Biotin To listen hair loss

B12

Calcium

Perfect portions oatmeal with no sugar added

Applesauce

sugar free pops

Jello

chicken broth

Measuring spoons and cups

unjury unflavored will give you 20 grams of Protein and you can put it in your favorite beverage... I put it in my sugar free hot chocolate

I forgot to mention I planned to get some unflavored Unjury :) Thanks for the advice :D

I have read on here dozens of times about the need for Miralax. Just a thought-it seems like one of those things I'd rather have and not need than not have it and need it...

I used sugar free popsicles all the time at first after surgery! Still do at times; seems to settle the stomach for me. The "outshine" brand is my favorite!

You can also order Protein samples so after surgery you have a variety to try. That way if your taste changes you arent stuck with a big tub. Try www.nashuanutrition.com, or www.bariatricadvantage.com; you can order different sample packs of stuff to try. I had a huge supply of protein powders and I was glad I did.

Also had a big supply of drink mixes like crystal light. Didnt like some at first but can drink them all now. I couldnt do plain Water for some reason. Had to be flavored and ice cold!

Thank you both :)

A small food processor if you don't already have one. I used mine a lot in the first month or so. Sometimes I still use it - it cuts down on all the chewing you have to do! :-)

Don't stock up on too much for food. Buy just enough for the first week or so. I used canned cream Soups, broth, greek yogurt, sugar free pudding - all of which you can add Protein powder to - and Protein shakes, of course. Your tastes change after surgery and you may not like the things you like now. For the first month everything smelled and tasted funny to me. Eventually that passed. Also I threw away a lot of food. I would want something, eat it once, then not want it again. Little leftover bowls started piling up in my fridge. Now if I don't finish a meal, into the trash it goes.

I stocked up on Vitamins - sublingual B12, Vitamin D (I tend to be deficient), Biotin. I always buy them when CVS has their buy 1/get 1 sale.

I bought appetizer spoons and forks and an insulated lunch bag. The forks and spoons are small so I take little bites. The lunch bag goes with me everywhere I go. I pack healthy Snacks (like yogurt, beef sticks, cheese squares, laughing cow cheese, natural Peanut Butter, and think thin bites small Protein bars). If I'm out a long time I bring a meal in my bag, too. If you plan ahead you won't be tempted to eat something you shouldn't (a bad idea). And I keep extra calcium citrate chewables in my lunch bag and my purse. That's the one I tend to forget so if I have it on me I can take it when I think of it. And I keep single portion drink mixes in my bag too. I can buy Water anywhere and flavor it myself.

It's good to be ready but I found that I bought things I didn't need, like an expensive food scale - I use mostly measuring cups - and a camel-pack (a backpack-type Water bottle). I kept the scale because I'm sure I'll use it someday but I returned the camel-pack. Sometimes you don't know what you'll need until you need it. As long as you have the basics you can pick up other things you need as you go along. :-)

It was suggested to me to use sippy cups after surgery and they really helped. Instead of staring down a large glass of Water I just had small glasses to drink and felt like I was really winning the water battle.

I bought a relatively cheap food scale and used it all the time at first. I test myself off and on with it these days to make sure I'm still true in my size estimates. I used my ninja a lot the first 2 months. Like someone else said, Water and I did not agree, I used a variety of different flavoring a early on, thankfully Water and I are friends again. chicken broth, cream of chicken Soup, retried Beans, SF Jello and pudding mixes, yogurt were probably my main stays for the first several weeks. In all my brilliance I'd make up a zillion little cups of Protein pudding, retried bean mix, baked ricotta, etc. had a refrigerator full so I could grab 4 or 5 bowls to keep at work with me (I was back at work 10 days post-op) and without fail threw away 1/2 of my carefully prepared little cups...yet I continued to prep the cups and throw them away week after week :D I just never used as many as I knew I would! Oh, yeah, small ziplock 1/2 cup bowls, used em a TON! I also had 3 drink bottles with ounces marked on them. 1 for water. 1 for juice (1 was required to drink juice diluted with water to increase calorie intake for the first 6 weeks) and 1 for shakes.

SF breath mints!

Good luck! Just don't spend a ton on fancy gadgets, there's very little you truly need.

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198

I bought a relatively cheap food scale and used it all the time at first. I test myself off and on with it these days to make sure I'm still true in my size estimates. I used my ninja a lot the first 2 months. Like someone else said, Water and I did not agree, I used a variety of different flavoring a early on, thankfully Water and I are friends again. chicken broth, cream of chicken Soup, retried Beans, SF Jello and pudding mixes, yogurt were probably my main stays for the first several weeks. In all my brilliance I'd make up a zillion little cups of Protein pudding, retried bean mix, baked ricotta, etc. had a refrigerator full so I could grab 4 or 5 bowls to keep at work with me (I was back at work 10 days post-op) and without fail threw away 1/2 of my carefully prepared little cups...yet I continued to prep the cups and throw them away week after week :D I just never used as many as I knew I would! Oh, yeah, small ziplock 1/2 cup bowls, used em a TON! I also had 3 drink bottles with ounces marked on them. 1 for water. 1 for juice (1 was required to drink juice diluted with water to increase calorie intake for the first 6 weeks) and 1 for shakes.

SF breath mints!

Good luck! Just don't spend a ton on fancy gadgets, there's very little you truly need.

10 days? WOW!! what do you do?

I currently work in the deli of a grocery store but I'm working to be moved to a cashier position. I know its really optimistic but I'm hoping to be back to work in 2 weeks. I figure if I can work while feeling like my spine is in a vice and I have 3 cinder blocks sitting on my spine (I hurt my back 1.5 weeks ago) with all the lifting, bending and twisting rquired in the deli, that I can handle working with a sore tummy (I've had laproscopic surgery b4 so I have a fair idea of what to expect) @ the register- just gotta get my doc to release me lol. I want moved to the register because I will be able to go back to work sooner, be able to have water right next to me, a fraction of the lifting (currently I left 20+ pounds at least 50 times a shift), etc. I just think it'd be so much easier on my body.. esp when I first go back to work!

I was told my the nut that I could only have Clear Liquids the first two weeks. And that Vitamin Water was a good start. Has anyone else done this? I like the op am looking for the right supplies to have on hand for after surgery.

10 days? WOW!! what do you do? I currently work in the deli of a grocery store but I'm working to be moved to a cashier position. I know its really optimistic but I'm hoping to be back to work in 2 weeks. I figure if I can work while feeling like my spine is in a vice and I have 3 cinder blocks sitting on my spine (I hurt my back 1.5 weeks ago) with all the lifting' date=' bending and twisting rquired in the deli, that I can handle working with a sore tummy (I've had laproscopic surgery b4 so I have a fair idea of what to expect) @ the register- just gotta get my doc to release me lol. I want moved to the register because I will be able to go back to work sooner, be able to have Water right next to me, a fraction of the lifting (currently I left 20+ pounds at least 50 times a shift), etc. I just think it'd be so much easier on my body.. esp when I first go back to work![/quote']

I'm a family practice physician assistant. I walk and talk, the heaviest thing I lift is my laptop computer. I rarely sit down when I'm with patients but that first week I was back at work I spent a lot of time on my little Rollie chair :). Just don't overdo it!!!! I think I mentioned above that my surgeon makes you drink 32 ounces of diluted fruit juice daily the first few weeks. I QUICKLY discovered that if I didn't sip my juice throughout the day I got super weak and shaky and thought I was going to pass out. Just wasn't getting enough calories that first month to keep me upright and moving unless I drank the juice.

I was told my the nut that I could only have clear liquids the first two weeks. And that Vitamin Water was a good start. Has anyone else done this? I like the op am looking for the right supplies to have on hand for after surgery.

I'm planning to use unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury in my Water and use the Unjury, water and SF flavoring to make popsicles. All in an effort to get my Protein AND water in at the same time. Thought I'd share my plan in case u wanted to do the same.

I'm a family practice physician assistant. I walk and talk' date=' the heaviest thing I lift is my laptop computer. I rarely sit down when I'm with patients but that first week I was back at work I spent a lot of time on my little Rollie chair :). Just don't overdo it!!!! I think I mentioned above that my surgeon makes you drink 32 ounces of diluted fruit juice daily the first few weeks. I QUICKLY discovered that if I didn't sip my juice throughout the day I got super weak and shaky and thought I was going to pass out. Just wasn't getting enough calories that first month to keep me upright and moving unless I drank the juice.

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198[/quote']

I'm pretty keen on my limits, so I'll be careful :)

My surgery is on a Monday and I am planning on going back to work the next Monday, a week later. Is this unrealistic? I have a desk job, I do accounts payable for a hospital so I am sitting most of the day, some walking within the office to send an occasional fax or get something off the printer, etc. My coworkers and supervisor don't know I'm doing this. I am telling them I have to have my gallbladder out. I figured that would explain the incisions and the belly pain. ?? Any thoughts on this?