Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery scheduled but nervous

I received my surgery date today. I'm having lapband removal, hiatal hernia repair, RNY all in one surgery. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Any advice would be appreciated on how to calm my nerves.

Thanks

You will be just fine, because you have been down this road before. You are moving closer to your dreams each and everyday. This is the first part of two I'm assuming. You got this one already in the bag girlfriend. The hernia is nothing for these doctors they see it all the time and this second for them.

Believe and trust in God first he'll take good care of you. Secondly, believe and trust in your decision to be pro-active in your health, you are doing the right thing. And lastly, believe and trust that God is in charge, guiding their hands; doctors are not alone because we are praying to God on your behalf and we know that he make no mistakes. I/We are here for you when you need to talk or express yourself.

Good Luck pumkin73

You will be just fine' date=' because you have been down this road before. You are moving closer to your dreams each and everyday. This is the first part of two I'm assuming. You got this one already in the bag girlfriend. The hernia is nothing for these doctors they see it all the time and this second for them.

Believe and trust in God first he'll take good care of you. Secondly, believe and trust in your decision to be pro-active in your health, you are doing the right thing. And lastly, believe and trust that God is in charge, guiding their hands; doctors are not alone because we are praying to God on your behalf and we know that he make no mistakes. I/We are here for you when you need to talk or express yourself.

Good Luck pumkin73[/quote']

Thank you so much!!!

pumpkin 73, Just remember all the hard aches you have gone thru with your lap band. Things are going to be so much better with your RNY! I am right behind you with a rny date 10/29/13!!! Lap band out 7/30/13!

Good luck ya'll... Mine is scheduled for Nov 5. I'm so scared because I had such bad experience with the band.

Good luck ya'll... Mine is scheduled for Nov 5. I'm so scared because I had such bad experience with the band.

Thanks and good luck to you too!

I don't have a date yet, but I will have one in the near future due to what I'm going through with the band. I'm already nervous just thinking about it, but as it was nicely said by someone here, Trust that God will take care of us all.

Ok my surgery is scheduled for 10-8-13. This weekend I have felt nervous. I had so many issues with my band what if this doesn't work either what if it takes me a long time to get my weight off? I am running out if clothes that fit me. I hate going out again I just want to stay home. On top of all that my husband told me we should have his parents over for a birthday dinner 10 days after my surgery. I know how awful I felt after my band will I be ready for that? I know I am having a little anxiety just need some reassurance. Sorry for the rant

Ok my surgery is scheduled for 10-8-13. This weekend I have felt nervous. I had so many issues with my band what if this doesn't work either what if it takes me a long time to get my weight off? I am running out if clothes that fit me. I hate going out again I just want to stay home. On top of all that my husband told me we should have his parents over for a birthday dinner 10 days after my surgery. I know how awful I felt after my band will I be ready for that? I know I am having a little anxiety just need some reassurance. Sorry for the rant

what if it takes you a long time to get the weight off??? As long as it's coming off and your health is continually improving do you really need to have it off by a certain date? Please don't start being hard on yourself before you've even really started the journey. You will do fine, you will LOVE life without a band. Follow your program and all will be well. But know it's not a race. Enjoy the journey, suffer through the stalls and setbacks, but know as long as you're headed the right direction then you are a success with this. (And to your husband I'd saying having company over 10 days post op to eat food you won't be able to eat...probably not a great idea. Could I have done it? Yup! Would I have wanted to? Nope!)

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198

I understand exactly what you mean. I'm afraid to fail again, I'm running out of clothes that fit, and I also don't go out much anywhere. I feel like I have put my life back on hold again. Now I am at peace with my decision because I want my life back for me & my kids. I got on the scale yesterday & I know this surgery is needed (in addition to still having current band issues). I am thankful for the positive responsives I have received from this post.

Good luck to us all!

I really worried about doing the band removal and the gastric at the same time. My surgeon said that if there is a lot of scar tissue from the band he would have to wait on the other surgery. Has anyone had both at the same time? Was it really hard to do? How was recovery?

I really worried about doing the band removal and the gastric at the same time. My surgeon said that if there is a lot of scar tissue from the band he would have to wait on the other surgery. Has anyone had both at the same time? Was it really hard to do? How was recovery?

I was told I'd get both done at the same time unless there was a problem, then woke up with my band out and no RNY. That totally sucked! There's an actual band to RNY thread around here somewhere, the norm seems to be having both at the same time. I personally vote that if they can be done safely and with a good pouch, do it all together. Having to go under anesthesia twice and have someone dig around in your innards twice isn't my idea of a good time . In my case he said there was so much inflammation and scarring that he would have had to have made a bigger pouch if he'd done it at the same time. I approve of his choice to wait! Good luck!!!!

I was told I'd get both done at the same time unless there was a problem, then woke up with my band out and no RNY. That totally sucked! There's an actual band to RNY thread around here somewhere, the norm seems to be having both at the same time. I personally vote that if they can be done safely and with a good pouch, do it all together. Having to go under anesthesia twice and have someone dig around in your innards twice isn't my idea of a good time . In my case he said there was so much inflammation and scarring that he would have had to have made a bigger pouch if he'd done it at the same time. I approve of his choice to wait! Good luck!!!!

Thanks. He said by the looks of the barium swallow xrays and since that i'm not having any symptoms of a slippage that it is a good sign that I will be able to have both at the same time. But, that doing both has more risks...... I was so gung ho with getting the band.... but with doing this i'm not feeling so excited and unsure if I can go through all that. Surely i'm not the only one feeling like this? lol

Thanks. He said by the looks of the barium swallow xrays and since that i'm not having any symptoms of a slippage that it is a good sign that I will be able to have both at the same time. But' date=' that doing both has more risks...... I was so gung ho with getting the band.... but with doing this i'm not feeling so excited and unsure if I can go through all that. Surely i'm not the only one feeling like this? lol[/quote']

i was a slip with a prolapse and urgent removal , once inside I also became a partial erosion. I was a bit of a mess :). I think we all face fears going in to this type of surgery. I was all rainbows and butterflies going in to my band. I'd come to hate my band and wanted to revise but hadn't expected it to happen for years because of $$$. With the dramatic fashion it all came down so quickly ( from finding out I'd slipped to surgery completed in 5 days) plus I was so miserable during that time, I really had no time to process it all. I just wanted it done. Then when I woke up without the RNY, I had 6 months to royally freak about the RNY failing as well. All I can tell you is that it is an entirely different world with an RNY. I do dump fairly easily but other than that I can eat anything, it just doesn't take much to satisfy me. I never get that nasty stuck feeling, I don't slime, I've thrown up once in 7 months and that was because I was seasick so RNY unrelated. I just feel good. I'm not losing as quickly as others in the February group but, aside from evil stalls, I am slowly losing. I've got 40 pounds to go but weigh the least I have in my entire adult life. And I feel good. I don't feel deprived, I'm not starving, I'm emotionally happy and satisfied, I'm actually starting to like the girl I see in the mirror. it's all been just absolutely amazing.

Fear is healthy, as long as you don't let it consume you. Educate yourself, and just know that many of us have succeeded after a band or sleeve.