Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery scheduled but nervous

Ok my surgery is scheduled for 10-8-13. This weekend I have felt nervous. I had so many issues with my band what if this doesn't work either what if it takes me a long time to get my weight off? I am running out if clothes that fit me. I hate going out again I just want to stay home. On top of all that my husband told me we should have his parents over for a birthday dinner 10 days after my surgery. I know how awful I felt after my band will I be ready for that? I know I am having a little anxiety just need some reassurance. Sorry for the rant

Dont be nervous! I had to have my band removed in emergency surgery and then wait 7 months for my rny. It was t he easiest surgery of all

i was a slip with a prolapse and urgent removal , once inside I also became a partial erosion. I was a bit of a mess :). I think we all face fears going in to this type of surgery. I was all rainbows and butterflies going in to my band. I'd come to hate my band and wanted to revise but hadn't expected it to happen for years because of $$$. With the dramatic fashion it all came down so quickly ( from finding out I'd slipped to surgery completed in 5 days) plus I was so miserable during that time, I really had no time to process it all. I just wanted it done. Then when I woke up without the RNY, I had 6 months to royally freak about the RNY failing as well. All I can tell you is that it is an entirely different world with an RNY. I do dump fairly easily but other than that I can eat anything, it just doesn't take much to satisfy me. I never get that nasty stuck feeling, I don't slime, I've thrown up once in 7 months and that was because I was seasick so RNY unrelated. I just feel good. I'm not losing as quickly as others in the February group but, aside from evil stalls, I am slowly losing. I've got 40 pounds to go but weigh the least I have in my entire adult life. And I feel good. I don't feel deprived, I'm not starving, I'm emotionally happy and satisfied, I'm actually starting to like the girl I see in the mirror. it's all been just absolutely amazing.

Fear is healthy, as long as you don't let it consume you. Educate yourself, and just know that many of us have succeeded after a band or sleeve.

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198

Thanks for all that. I need all the motivation I can get! This really does help..and I have to stop thinking about NEGATIVES and just go with it and RUN

Thanks for all that. I need all the motivation I can get! This really does help..and I have to stop thinking about NEGATIVES and just go with it and RUN

Very well said, I am not giving up I just have to change things up. I went into my revision surgery not sure of the scar tissue preventing it but in the end I got it so I will MAKE it work

Thank you for all the kind words I think I am just afraid of this not working because of what I have gone through with the band. I will be glad when this week is over

I had my band removed and rny on 9/9 and, I can tell the difference already. There was so much I couldn't eat with my band and had pain all the time. I am still eating soft foods but no issues whatsoever.

All the nervousness you feel is normal. I was so scared and nervous for the 3 weeks before that I knew I just had to make it to the surgery date. I was scared he would not be able to do the rny, that I would have complications, even that I would die. I know it sounds extreme but I was scared.

I am home recovering but am so happy that I had it done. I didn't even realize how much my band was bothering me until I had it out!

You will do fine. Your time will be here before you know it. Prayers for a speedy recovery for you. :-)

Sue

I really worried about doing the band removal and the gastric at the same time. My surgeon said that if there is a lot of scar tissue from the band he would have to wait on the other surgery. Has anyone had both at the same time? Was it really hard to do? How was recovery?

They were able to do mine at the same time but prepared me ahead of time that sometimes it isn't possible. I remember waking up and it was the first question I asked. Whatever happens, trust the judgment of your surgeon. There is a reason for everything

I must have changed my surgery date at least 5-6 times b/c I was so afraid of getting the band. I was sooo happy when I got it. Now I'm needing it out badly and will discuss it tomorrow with my Dr. You can imagine how afraid I will be when getting a date for RNY. But I know this is what I need now, and to stay on the straight and narrow. I'm so happy for these posts. I do believe now that being afraid is a natural human thing.

my doc is performing my surgery of band removal lap, and then doing the actual RNY with a robot. for the FIRST time! my hands are sweating just saying it! HA! im just letting go of my fears though and accepting that God is in total control. if its my time- its my time. we will all be fine. this band has Got to Go. if you think about it- we have all HAD complications....thats why its getting removed. but we are still here. living and breathing and telling our stories. hang in there and God Bless you!

my doc is performing my surgery of band removal lap, and then doing the actual RNY with a robot. for the FIRST time! my hands are sweating just saying it! HA! im just letting go of my fears though and accepting that God is in total control. if its my time- its my time. we will all be fine. this band has Got to Go. if you think about it- we have all HAD complications....thats why its getting removed. but we are still here. living and breathing and telling our stories. hang in there and God Bless you!

when is your surgery?

Thank you for all the kind words I think I am just afraid of this not working because of what I have gone through with the band. I will be glad when this week is over

Don't even try to compare the band to RNY, it is so totally different. I loved my band, had no problems, never had a stuck moment, never vomitted, and didn't even know it had slipped until the doctor discovered it. Would I have been rebanded. No. I am 3 weeks post-op with RNY and there isn't any comparison. Love my RNY, love the fact that I'm not hungry, can watch all the food channels, commercials, see the food and think it looks good, but there isn't any craving for it. I do have dumping but I can't blame it on the RNY as have had this issue for years, and if I really think about it, I think since I have had this done, I don't dump near like I use to. This surgery was the fourth time, gall bladder first, band second, removal third, RNY fourth. This by far was much easier on me, recovery faster as far as stamia. Wish I would have done this four years ago and would be at my goal weight by now. So think positive and don't compare this to the band they have discovered the band should only be a stepping stone because of it failure rate. You'll be okay.