Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking

I wanted to start a support thread for all of us who want to quit smoking. It's early morning, and boy, I want to smoke...it's a really powerful addiction. I just got out of the hospital with a really severe bleeding ulcer, yet I still want to smoke. Crazy. I know the craving will pass, it's just a real pain while it's happening.

I wanted to start a support thread for all of us who want to quit smoking. It's early morning' date=' and boy, I want to smoke...it's a really powerful addiction. I just got out of the hospital with a really severe bleeding ulcer, yet I still want to smoke. Crazy. I know the craving will pass, it's just a real pain while it's happening.[/quote']

Are you pre op or post op?? I am pre op and need to quit NOW. I need to quit smoking to see the surgeon. I'm 4 months in to my 6 month program and having a terrible time quitting. I do good for a few days/weeks and then I have a weak moment and run to the store. It's so hard to quit but definitely necessary. Thanks for starting this thread. I hope more people join in. I wish you luck with quitting. Have you tried the patch or gum or any of the other quitting assistants??

(Pre op) sw 341~cw 319~gw 140

I'm almost five months post op....quit smoking for three months, and then started smoking a little...no more than 1_2 a day or less. But, yeah it really messed me up...I almost bled out...actually back in the er as we speak. The addiction is so strong. I quit for twelve years, and in 2008, I took three puffs....I was back smoking in three days. I have to quit this time...my stomach won't take anymore foolishness. I do know that the urge to smoke will pass whether I have a smoke or not, so I may as well not. I'm not taking any meds; chantix makes me nuts, and nicotine products can irritate my pouch further, so cold turkey it is. I know when I get past the first week or so, I will be happy I quit...it's just getting there. Be well. We can do this... Rant on here the next time you want a smoke...we got this!

Are you pre op or post op?? I am pre op and need to quit NOW. I need to quit smoking to see the surgeon. I'm 4 months in to my 6 month program and having a terrible time quitting. I do good for a few days/weeks and then I have a weak moment and run to the store. It's so hard to quit but definitely necessary. Thanks for starting this thread. I hope more people join in. I wish you luck with quitting. Have you tried the patch or gum or any of the other quitting assistants??

If I could, I'd use every product available....go for it if you're not already. Some people have good luck with hypnosis, too!

Woke up this morning and today is suposted to be my quit day ! No smokes today I am laying in bed thinking about how bad I want to go have one. I checked on here and saw this thread I am going go make nice warm cup of coffee instead and try to wait for the urge to pass ! Has anyone tried any of the other tricks like chewing and straw since gum is out. Any other subjections doctors have give you ?

Woke up this morning and today is suposted to be my quit day ! No smokes today I am laying in bed thinking about how bad I want to go have one. I checked on here and saw this thread I am going go make nice warm cup of coffee instead and try to wait for the urge to pass ! Has anyone tried any of the other tricks like chewing and straw since gum is out. Any other subjections doctors have give you ?

There is a therapist here who specializes in helping folks quit...not that I have the time for lengthy therapy...if the urges get too bad, hypnosis here I come.

Yeah I hear yeah my husband smokes to and that makes it even harder. Seems like everyone around when we hang out smokes to. An since I have lost so much weight I we have been having people over more as well.

I'm almost five months post op....quit smoking for three months' date=' and then started smoking a little...no more than 1_2 a day or less. But, yeah it really messed me up...I almost bled out...actually back in the er as we speak. The addiction is so strong. I quit for twelve years, and in 2008, I took three puffs....I was back smoking in three days. I have to quit this time...my stomach won't take anymore foolishness. I do know that the urge to smoke will pass whether I have a smoke or not, so I may as well not. I'm not taking any meds; chantix makes me nuts, and nicotine products can irritate my pouch further, so cold turkey it is. I know when I get past the first week or so, I will be happy I quit...it's just getting there. Be well. We can do this... Rant on here the next time you want a smoke...we got this![/quote']

Yes!!! We can definitely do this!!! I try to tell myself...fat, smoking, and unhealthy...or...thinner, breath better, and healthy. The choice seems obvious....but its not obvious when i get a craving. I have the patch but it irritates my skin no matter where I put it. Chantix made me nutty too lol. At this point, me being post op, I keep telling myself that I have time and just one more pack...but I don't want to last minute to quit and then smoke after surgery. You definitely have a big reason to never smoke again being post op and almost losing your life over smoking. you can do it!!! Your life is worth more than satisfying a craving that will pass. Try Surar free lollipops maybe?? Keeping a pen between my fingers helped me a little at times. It's really a gross habit if you think about it...and it makes us smell bad. I'm rooting for you. Fingers crossed your cravings are far and few.

There is a therapist here who specializes in helping folks quit...not that I have the time for lengthy therapy...if the urges get too bad' date=' hypnosis here I come.[/quote']

Maybe the therapist can visit this topic...

I quit smoking the night before surgery, when I had my endoscopy done there were pre-cancer cells in my stomach !!! It totally freaked me out because there was nothing that could be done. The doctor said that those cancer cells could be reversed if I quit because they were most likely from smoking !!! I quit and never went back... I enjoyed smoking very much. But I love myself more than the smokes.. its been 17 months since I had my last smoke. I truly miss it at time when I am around someone that is smoking but I feel 10000% better AND I can breathe, also I can run 5 miles :)

Kudos to all of you who quit and good luck to those trying. I'm not a smoker but my husband was. He quit cold turkey in '80 and hasn't smoked since. He told me that to this day when he smells cigarette smoke it STILL smells good to him and it takes willpower not to give in. It's a powerful addiction.

Yeah I hear yeah my husband smokes to and that makes it even harder. Seems like everyone around when we hang out smokes to. An since I have lost so much weight I we have been having people over more as well.

My husband has been smoking outside...he's a good egg, and now no one can smoke in the house....

I quit so I could have this surgery but I really miss it. I hope I don't turn to smoking again in place of food.< /p>

I'm smoking my last cigarette right now...AGAIN. Giving it another go :-/ With me luck.

I'm smoking my last cigarette right now...AGAIN. Giving it another go :-/ With me luck.

You CAN do this!!!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198