Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgeries!?!?!?

My bypass was done 11 days ago! The 6 month insurance hoops seemed forever to me also! Now that I am past it all ( doing amazing well at 64 years old) I am so glad that I did have all the nut meetings , & classes, test and Dr appts.. The knowledge gained is invaluable at these stage... And knowledge is powerful! My insulin has gone from 350 units down to 20.. Severe GERD resolved and off so many meds ( BP normal, heart rate normal). First week on only liquids was a bummer.. 6 days no BM THEN 5 days off endless runs (tmi) but knowing its normal was good! I had triple bypass.. Diabetes type 1 . Gerd so severe it was damaging my lungs! Wonder why I waited now!

Also had a liver biopsy due to fatty tissue and a big belly hernia repaired then.. Could of looped a bowel if not repaired...

You guys will be so happy you did this! I had doubts daily and even a few days after but WOW .. What a difference a week makes.

Take a heating pad to hospital.. Really helped with carbon dioxide discomfort those first days.. ( and walk walk then walk some more) .. Best of luck to you all.. Be pumped up! Good positive attitude is important !

Hey December Losers! ( and by losers I mean losing weight!) Lol. So I start my pre op diet monday. Any suggestions ?? I get a shake for Breakfast breakfast and lunch then 4 oz lean meat/1 cup veggies for dinner. I can have sugar free Jello and popsicles too.

RCD...lucky you! !!! My NUT keys me eat only liquid! !! Nothing special there. I have to chew gum to have the feeling of eating. There is a newish Protein Drink from muscle milk that is flavored Cookies and cream. Pretty good. I also get a eas d drink the low carb one add dannon light Greek yogurt that has 12 g Protein and 2 carbs. Then can add fruits and ice fir a creamy shake. Good luck! !!

On day one of my pre op diet and I am already SICK of the shakes....I am having my Soup tonight for supper. I am sooo ready to go into ketosis.....supposedly that is going to help with the hunger.....Does it really get easier the longer it is????

You know it does. But for me I am soooooooooooooo done! ! Make sure to have variety in the shakes. It helps. Remember it will be worth it ALL!!

Did you get the 3-ring binder from the NUT? It's in the Nutrition section, page 10. If not, it's basically any sugar-free, fat-free, liquid, (but the list also includes skim, 1%, or 2% milks). These can be consumed, along with Clear Liquids, (like Water, broth, bouillon, herbal tea, sugar-free Jello, etc.), as Snacks between the Protein Shakes. It DOESN'T list any food listed in the pureed or soft or regular foods lists. I hope these lists weren't just given to me!

FOUND IT! thanks

RCD...lucky you! !!! My NUT keys me eat only liquid! !! Nothing special there. I have to chew gum to have the feeling of eating. There is a newish Protein drink from muscle milk that is flavored Cookies and cream. Pretty good. I also get a eas d drink the low carb one add dannon light Greek yogurt that has 12 g protein and 2 carbs. Then can add fruits and ice fir a creamy shake. Good luck! !!

Yes I'm glad I can do dinner. Still not looking forward to it! The weekends are going to be the worst!

My bypass was done 11 days ago! The 6 month insurance hoops seemed forever to me also! Now that I am past it all ( doing amazing well at 64 years old) I am so glad that I did have all the nut meetings , & classes, test and Dr appts.. The knowledge gained is invaluable at these stage... And knowledge is powerful! My insulin has gone from 350 units down to 20.. Severe GERD resolved and off so many meds ( BP normal, heart rate normal). First week on only liquids was a bummer.. 6 days no BM THEN 5 days off endless runs (tmi) but knowing its normal was good! I had triple bypass.. Diabetes type 1 . Gerd so severe it was damaging my lungs! Wonder why I waited now!

Also had a liver biopsy due to fatty tissue and a big belly hernia repaired then.. Could of looped a bowel if not repaired...

You guys will be so happy you did this! I had doubts daily and even a few days after but WOW .. What a difference a week makes.

Take a heating pad to hospital.. Really helped with carbon dioxide discomfort those first days.. ( and walk walk then walk some more) .. Best of luck to you all.. Be pumped up! Good positive attitude is important !

Great news! The ARNP from the surgeons group says my HBP, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, fatty liver,and high a1c will all go away. And arthritis and other problems should slow down their progression. It's hard to look forward to something this drastic otherwise.

Hi all! My surgery is tomorrow Dec 2 at 10.30 in the morning. Day two of my clear liquid diet and all Is well. I made diner for the family last night and so proud of myself no temptation! I'm a little nervous about tomorrow since this is my first surgery ever. Wish me luck guys! #newMe

Hi all! My surgery is tomorrow Dec 2 at 10.30 in the morning. Day two of my clear liquid diet and all Is well. I made diner for the family last night and so proud of myself no temptation! I'm a little nervous about tomorrow since this is my first surgery ever. Wish me luck guys! #newMe

Good luck! In some ways I envy you getting it done tomorrow. I still have a week to go.

Yay!! I still have until the 11th but we are all wishing you a safe surgery and speedy recovery! Please update us aa soon as you're up to it! Good luck, you'll do great!!

Well good.luck!! Mine is on Wednesday and I am really hungry!! I have been on the Liquid Protein diet for two weeks. It is hard... you will do well... let is know

Why are some people on this "liquid" duet also having 4oz of turkey?

The paperwork I have gives general instructions: the pre-op diet is comprised primarily of Liquid Protein shakes/drinks . . .there may be some solid food incorporated as well. Ultimately it's what the dietician discussed in detail with us.

Yeah it seems it's all across the board. They did a whole lot of stuff to me. Full body scan, I mean everything. Must have determined I'd had enough meat!

The paperwork I have gives general instructions: the pre-op diet is comprised primarily of liquid Protein shakes/drinks . . .there may be some solid food incorporated as well. Ultimately it's what the dietician discussed in detail with us.</blockquote>

Yeah it seems it's all across the board. They did a whole lot of stuff to me. Full body scan, I mean everything. Must have determined I'd had enough meat!

Too much meat! Me too! LOL!!!

The paperwork I have gives general instructions: the pre-op diet is comprised primarily of liquid Protein shakes/drinks . . .there may be some solid food incorporated as well. Ultimately it's what the dietician discussed in detail with us.</blockquote>

Lol. Yall are funny! I start tomorrow. Have more Protein Shakes than I know what to do with. Luckily I have found some I like!

Hehe, that's what I said too, I am lucky I like some Protein Shakes, day 6 on 4 shakes a day and I am repulsed by them. In fact I drink them an hour and a half apart to get them over with and suck on sf tropical Popsicles the rest of the day.

Everything is going to be fine. But I am crossing my fingers for you.