Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm the new guy and telling my story

Hello every one, my name is Kevin and I'm new to this site and my surgery will be September 11th, 2013. I will give you a little background on myself. I'm 41 years and married and together we have 5 children ages 7 - 18 and we live in Wisconsin. I have been overweight my entire life, I have never experienced what if feels like to be "skinny" nor do I ever expect too. As an adult and getting heavier, weight has always been an issue. I worked as an active paramedic for over twenty years now and love EMS. I currently work in a small rural hospital as the ER & Trauma Coordinator and I'm also the Director of Informatics for our electronic health record. In my "spare" time, I also teach EMS for one of the technical colleges and I'm going back to school myself. Being overweight makes everything so much more difficult and now that I'm over 40, I must get healthier if I want to survive and enjoy the second half of my life. At my heaviest weight I weighed approximately 435lbs and this was back in approximately 2004. I looked into bariatric surgery then and jumped through all of the hoops only to be denied by my insurance company 2 times and could not get the surgery. I was at the end of my rope and need to make a change so I tried the low carb diet which actually was a life saver for me. Over the next year I had lost over 140lbs and was feeling so much better, but as soon as I got off track and didn't stay committed, I started to regain the weight. I gained about 100lbs back. a few years later I went back to low carb and lost another 150 lbs and again feeling better until life happens and I lose focus. I again gained over 100 lbs back. Currently I weigh about 350lbs. My current job switched insurance companies about 2 years ago and they did have a benefit for bariatric surgery so for the past year I have been going through the process to get approved. I started in September of 2012 and now my surgery is about three weeks away, its very hard to believe. My insurance company denied me the first time because 2-3 years ago when I had lost some weight my BMI was 39.9% and it needed to be 40% since I really didn't have many other health issues. I was so devastated and pissed off, but I kept going and had more testing so I could get diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. Then upon resubmittal, they approved me. I have to say I HATE THE CPAP MACHINE!!! I'm looking to put all of the struggles behind me and move forward. I really need this surgery as my tool to a healthier and hopefully much happier me. This looks like a great site and I love reading every ones stories and experiences, I have already learned many valuable things on here. I start my pre-op diet on Aug. 28th and have all of my pre-op physical and testing on September 3rd, Its coming so close. There is one thing I have to do and that is to tell the rest of my family about the surgery. Only my wife and a best friend knew I was going down this journey and I didn't want to say anything until I knew it was approved. I need to tell my children I'm having surgery along with my parents. This has been a very private and personal thing for me and I'm not sharing with everyone. I just want to have the surgery without any fuss from anyone. Well that's my story in a nutshell. Thanks for having me here and I look forward to getting to know many of you. Feel free to contact me anytime. Kevin

Hi Kevin and welcome...I know you will find much support here, this site has kept me sane....My stats are on the tickers below...and It is the best thing I have done for myself in a long time...I had the band and it prolapsed, I had the sleeve and it didn't work..I was always so afraid of GBS, and it turns out, it has been the easiest...go figure...again, welcome and congratulations on your upcoming surgery!!

Thanks Vicki, glad to hear you found what works the best and I hope I will be successful also. This site is great and I appreciate the welcome. :) Kevin

Hahahaha i hate that damn cpap machine as well! Haha!

Good luck with everything. It can be tough at times and i have to say i have found the mental pressures the most.

But it gets better with time and it is amazing to actually just lose weight and not pick it back up again!

I wish you the best of luck!

So glad to hear you were finally approved. I will probably have to pay on my own. The insurance gave an authorization number but in a 3 font it said. "This authorization does not guarantee payment." My surgery is this Thursday the 22nd. I am very excited and a little apprehensive which is normal, I suppose. I too believe this is a personal journey and I have shared with my husband, my boss and a few close friends.Ii work for a big company and in my department weight is a determant to promotions. Its not written but i'ts obvious. I love my job though and would not change it. I started gaining weight at 40 and now I am 53 and 250. I just want to say all the best to you and your journey and I will look forward to keeping up with you here.

I Kevin my name is Steve I'm actually from Racine, WI I had my gastric bypass July 16th recovery has been a little rough for me because I had to have emergency back surgery 2 weeks after my gastric bypass because when I woke up from my weight loss surgery my left leg was numb :( they found out my disc was super inflamed and enlarged and laying on the operating table made my back worse. I will say I'm down about 45lbs already since July 16th :) congrats on you being approved and good luck on your journey glad to see another fellow Wisconsinite.

I Kevin my name is Steve I'm actually from Racine' date=' WI I had my gastric bypass July 16th recovery has been a little rough for me because I had to have emergency back surgery 2 weeks after my gastric bypass because when I woke up from my weight loss surgery my left leg was numb :( they found out my disc was super inflamed and enlarged and laying on the operating table made my back worse. I will say I'm down about 45lbs already since July 16th :) congrats on you being approved and good luck on your journey glad to see another fellow Wisconsinite.[/quote']

Hey guys! I live in Beaver Dam WI which is close to Racine! Where in WI are you from Kevin? I had surgery at Columbia St Marys in Milwaukee on 4-22 and am loving my life. Down to 245 from sugery weight of 303 and high weight of 340. It is awesome! Good luck to you both.

I Kevin my name is Steve I'm actually from Racine' date=' WI I had my gastric bypass July 16th recovery has been a little rough for me because I had to have emergency back surgery 2 weeks after my gastric bypass because when I woke up from my weight loss surgery my left leg was numb :( they found out my disc was super inflamed and enlarged and laying on the operating table made my back worse. I will say I'm down about 45lbs already since July 16th :) congrats on you being approved and good luck on your journey glad to see another fellow Wisconsinite.[/quote']

Hey guys! I live in Beaver Dam WI which is close to Racine! Where in WI are you from Kevin? I had surgery at Columbia St Marys in Milwaukee on 4-22 and am loving my life. Down to 245 from sugery weight of 303 and high weight of 340. It is awesome! Good luck to you both.

I had mine at Elmbrook memorial in Brookfield, it was with the Baratric Institute of Wisconsin.

Highest Weight: 511lbs Pre Surgery: 435lbs Current Weight: 397

I actually had the gastric bypass because I NEED back surgery. My spine is slipped 3+ on a scale that goes to 5. I have constant pain in back and down both legs. I see the spine surgeon on the 28th. Good job on the weight loss and hope your back is feeling better.

I had mine at Elmbrook memorial in Brookfield' date=' it was with the Baratric Institute of Wisconsin.

Highest Weight: 511lbs Pre Surgery: 435lbs Current Weight: 397[/quote']

You are doing great on your loss! My son who is 22 is actually having the sleeve in October. He was 486 (the highest he knows) and just got under 400 on his own. I am so proud of him because he is much too young.